5.0 out of 5 stars The MAGIC Work Horse ;-)
Published on 16 Mar. 2012 by J. Fleming

3.0 out of 5 stars Vita-Mix vs Magimix
Published 10 months ago by D Bastani

5.0 out of 5 stars The MAGIC Work Horse ;-), 16 Mar. 2012
J. Fleming "Low Flyer.." (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
ok so you are thinking.. 'Hey this is a lot off Money to spend on a blender; should I shouldn't I', well I think YOU should!! I trolled through so many hundreds of reviews, joined 'Which' magazine for a month (NO they did not have a full preview on this blender only a First Look!!grrrrr but in time they will, first look was promising though) to read all about blenders...I ummed and aagghed, I looked at others the same price, I re searched Good Housekeeping; its not on there but a competitor 'Villaware' is...really it was between this and the Villaware one, which got some minor negative points on 'Which' so I went for this one!! Finally!!
oh I did think about really splashing out on the Vitamix or Blendtec but your talking Hundreds then so I thought I would start with this one and see if the 'smoothie' 'souping' phase would wear off in my life!!

I have had it for a month; what can I say, its BRILLIANT! From Raw Carrots to ice cream, its a real Work Horse! It comes with a recipe book which is really good, and guides you through using it, I am inspired by the 'innocent ' smoothie books as well and a lot of free lancing...Once you are comfortable with following their own recipes for this blender you will learn really how to add lib your self, and how it works, some off my own ice creams have not blended properly but by adjusting, adding some liquid, using the spatula to press it down it turns out perfect! Dont be scared to throw in raw veg; its churns it into mush or soup if you add liquid! I do chop it down a bit first. I also blend whole quarter apples pips, skin and all with a bit off water then run it through my jam strainer to get perfect juice and NO waste! As for the ice crusher and smoothie settings its amazing, my daughter gets 3 a day and at least 16 of her 5-a-day fruit and veg this way!! Great for getting all the right stuff into kids!

Its inspiring!! It has 4 separate speeds as well as the pre set 'ice crusher' 'smoothie' 'soup' and 'ice cream' ones, It was not clear it had these seperate ones in a lot of reviews so I was VERY pleased with that. Also it comes with a spatula as it says but does not make it clear this can fit through the top with the middle insert removed so you can push fruit etc down safely as it processes (Its made so it DOES not contact the blades when its on Thank God!) so you can leave it there or remove it, also a little measuring jug is part of the middle insert. Cleaning is SO SIMPLE, the jug is a heavy glass; but needs to be, the base of the jug easily unscrews, seperating it from the jug and the blade just comes off, cleaning takes No time as there are very few bits, you can then rinse all the glass jug out through each end..Alternatively just add few drops off washing liquid some hot water and whizz it on 4 for a few seconds...Rinse ALL done! The solid base does not move around on the work surface, and is also fab to clean and the jug just slots on to the base either left handed or right handed !I did not get the one with the mill attachment, as without it it does the Job fine!
I am trying to think off all the things I would have wanted to know pre purchase to help you all out!
I highly recommend trial and error after a while off following recipes; if things do get jammed, just add a bit off liquid or force it down using the spatula; this has always worked with all the frozen fruit I use.
I frequently use ice blender crusher for my ice frappes; just like the star bucks one! Also crushed/powdered ice great in plastic bag for sore heads!
I made a delicious Chilli Tom soup; my own recipe so you have an example of what it can do it went as follows; fresh Tomatoes, whole, whole garlic cloves, whole (as in skin etc still on) washed carrots chopped, (3cm bits) whole chilli (wow did it kill all germs bugs in my body!) fresh Basil, salt pepper, whizzed it up with a bit off water, yogurt, heated it in micro and it was amazing!
It has 3 year guarantee, spare jugs etc easily available online ( I am dreading dropping it on my stone floor ;-O )

You WONT regret buying it...
Good luck in your decision...For me every penny was worth it..

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust, built to last and really efficient., 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Read the reviews and bought this for making smoothies/soups and initially thought oh my! its much bigger/heavier than it looks in the photo- but its grown on me after making the first smoothie and now its become my favourite machine in the kitchen! Easy to clean, much quieter than the other one I had and feels solid enough to last for years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vita-Mix vs Magimix, 29 April 2014
D Bastani - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Prior to purchasing the Magimix I read many reviews. Many were saying they were completely satisfied with the Magimix and that it did everything that they wanted. Therefore, recommending it over the Vita-Mix. I do own an American Vita-Mix and am completely in love with it. However, we have moved to the UK and I am unable to use it. We plan to be here a number of years, but not permanently. So, after checking the price of the Vita-Mix here (50% more than in America) I decided to try and find a blender that was close to the Vita-Mix and took a gamble on the Magimix.

The Magimix does blend up carrots, celery and leafy greens well, which I generally add to my smoothies. However, the Vita-Mix is able to make a much smoother texture. The Vita-Mix has the ability to blend things from a rough chop to a very fine texture (same as baby food). With the Magimix you will see bits of skin from the fruit (esp. grapes), where in the Vita-Mix everything is so small that there is no flicks of different colours.

The Magimix was not able to blend the pomegranate seeds leaving hard bits all through the smoothie, where the Vita-Mix is able to blend them so fine that you don't notice them.

With the Vita-Mix I was able to make almond butter and peanut butter. I haven't tried it so far, but I have my doubts that Magimix can handle it, because it seems to get bogged down when there is not enough liquid in it. I will give it a try and if it works I'll write a review on my results.

Cleaning is as mentioned in other reviews. Both Magimix and Vita-Mix, clean up the same, very simple and easy.

I do like the glass jug of the Magimix.

The manufacture of the Magimix recommends not running the blender more than 60 seconds at a time. Whereas the Vita-Mix is designed to run for long periods of time. Some soup recipes calling for 7 minutes, using the heat from the friction to warm the soup.

The Vita-Mix can do beverages, soups, sauces, fondues, salad dressings, syrups and batters.

The Vita-Mix also has a plunger that feeds down through the lid to aid moving the food down into the blades which actually works slightly better than the spatula in the Magimix.

There is a major cost difference between the two blenders. The Vita-Mix being several times more expensive. But if you can afford it and like to cook/make smoothies, it's a great investment.

I will get by with the Magimix, but I do miss my Vita-Mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Blender, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
I am not really experienced with using blenders, but when I read the negative comments on other brands like Philips that quickly broke down, I decided to trust the reviews of the other users about this great blender and ordered one. And so far I don't regret it!

I started out with a raw food diet and wanted to have a good blender to make my green smoothies. In the raw food scene online, everyone is praising (hyping) the Vitamix blenders. Not only do I think they are absolutely hideous to look at, they are ridiculously expensive here in Europe. I mean 600 to 650 euro for a blender? Come on!!! Then they are talking about horsepowers which does not make sense at all. I prefer to compare the power consumption of the motor because usually the higher the power consumption, the stronger the motor is. Also important is the rotation speed of the blades. With a max of 15000 rpm, this machine is fit for the job. The faster the blades spin, the finer the contents will be blended.

Now be warned, if you are living outside of the UK, you will receive this blender with the default huge power plug (what were they thinking when they made this the standard in the UK? :) ) Unfortunately countries like Portugal and The Netherlands have to use the UK amazon site as other sites often don't ship to these countries. Now with a device like this, it is not a problem. You buy a converter plug and there is no problem in using it. With a cellphone for example, where the plug is also the power adapter, the converter plug makes it extra big and clumsy to carry around. Since I am not planning on traveling with my blender, it is not a problem. (you could also put on another plug, but I don't know what this does to the warranty.)

Now I inspected the coupling between the bowl and the motor. On the bowl side, it is made of metal, on the motor side it looks like some kind of rubber. It however looks sturdy and I trust the quality is fine.
I went to the electronics store today here in Portugal and checked many blenders from Moulinex, Philips, Braun and some unknown brands to the rest of the world. NONE of them had metal couplings, it was all plastic and when I look at the Philips ones for instance, I can imagine why it breaks down so fast.
The cutting blades on this blender are quite sturdy and made of thick metal. The ones from Philips and other brands looked like they were made from a recycled tin can. Besides that, most models have only a 500 to 600 watt motor. This might be just fine, but once you do a raw diet, this is a device you are actually going to use every day (instead of using it as a dust catcher). I can imagine that if you are using a 600 watt motor, that a tough blend job takes much more toll on the motor than with a 1200 watt one.

In instruction videos for green smoothies, you often see people turning the speed dial. They even warn you that you have to make sure you set back the speed dial to low when starting up the blender and then turn up the speed. This because else the substances will get splashed all around causing the lid to be smudged as well. Not that this is a big thing but it is nicer if not.
Now with this blender you don't have to take care of this at all. Just press start and you will see that the electronic control will automatically start slower and then speed up the motor. I love the automatic smoothie setting. It starts blending at a higher speed (after a slow start up of course) and then it varies the speed to make sure that all ingredients will have a chance to drop to the bottom and get blended as well. Then it will speed up again and automatically stop when the smoothie is finished.

Now, of course I don't know how long this machine will last. I have no Idea how the quality of the Vitamix is compared to this one. I do know that the motor feels quite heavy, usually indicating high quality materials being used. I think that the glass bowl is a lot better than the plastic ones of other brands, but maybe I am wrong.

I can easily see this machine working for 10 years without a hitch. Maybe I am wrong but I will tell you in 10 years from now :p. I don't know how long the Vitamix will work. They claim it will last a life time, but if that were true, they would offer a lifetime warranty but they don't.

Now if you are doubting to buy this blender because it is expensive.. DON'T it seems to be a great blender. If you are doubting because actually you want a Vitamix... well don't buy this one and spend you hard earned money on the overpriced Vitamix.

Now like my fellow reviewers said: Buy the blender.. you will not regret it!!!

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent blender, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this blender for green smoothies - as per Victoria Boutenkos Green Smoothie Revolution (recommended).
Works perfectly on the smoothie setting.
Great value for money - compared to say a Vitamix at nearly £500!
Go for it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender - look no further!, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
It actually has a hefty 1.8 litre jug, not 1.5l as stated above.

I see the Magimix as bridging the gap between the standard (underpowered) £40 to £60 blenders and the potent but massive and noisy Vitamix at £400 plus. The Magimix is the ideal compromise on price, size, noise, durability and necessary power to make raw veg soups, green smoothies and ice desserts.

At 1200 watts, on full power it is noisy, but quieter than a Vitamix and slightly quieter than my old 500w Kenwood. The thick glass jug serves to dampen the noise. On low power, it is very quiet.

I was tempted by the 1000w Villaware Blender at £55, but I gleaned from the reviews it was poor quality and very noisy.

If you're just making soup from well-cooked veg; or a basic shake from bananas, ice-cream and milk, you won't need this power, but for pulverising raw/frozen fruit and veg, this is the one.

This is a stylish, easy clean blender: I think the black one looks cooler than the stainless steel "Satin" model and I can live without the mill attachment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magimix 11610 blender, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
It's a lovely blender, everything speaks quality about it, I love the light that comes on as soon as you select speed or one of the programs. The jug is heavier than the jug of my plastic Philips blender but its not massively heavy, you soon get used to handling it. It washes easy. The first time I took it apart to wash, I didn't assemble and tighten it properly and my soup leaked everywhere, so that's something to keep your eye on.

I was very disappointed to find there was no mill attachment for this model, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing until I started reading the recipes in the included leaflet, and in there it said nuts and other hard ingredients must previously be ground in the mill as the blade of the blender is not equipped to deal with those!! The whole point of getting an expensive blender was to throw everything in (liquid, fruits, oats, nuts etc) and blend. Well, for those that say this is like a Vitamix, it is not! It's better than the rest, but it's not a Vitamix. I did purchase a mill at a price of £40, so overall the blender ended up costing me more than the model which had the mill included. Smoothies with oats in are never smooth enough, unless the oats are finely ground in the mill before adding to the jug. Smoothies with carrots or other hard vegetable/fruit are never smooth enough. For this reason, although I originally planned to do so, I have not tried anything with kale or celery.

Frozen deserts - according to the recipe book, these are supposed to be a doddle. In real life, you are always left with bits of fruit floating about , you are never able to get a smooth sorbet unless you use only bananas, or continue blending until the desert has warmed up and is no longer frozen.

Ice break function - impressively quick and perfect for cocktails.

All in all, it's a very good blender (fruit smoothies and soups are perfect) , but there is quite a bit left to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need for a Vitamix, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this as a replacement for a pathetic 600 watt Philips blender that broke down (the previous version of the Philips HR2084/90 Black Blender with Fruit Filter and 2 Litre Jug, 650 Watt). Since I use a blender on a daily basis, I have opted to upgrade to a more powerful blender. In the 'green smoothie' scene, either a Vitamix or a Blendtec comes heavily recommended. However, these are grotesque American appliances that are way too big, look awful and are very expensive. It is also my opinion that such blenders - which are in essence commercial blenders - are not required for most consumer purposes.

I have been proven right. The Magimix handles green smoothies very well and I can't tell any difference with those sold at the Whole Foods Market in terms of the texture (I think they use a Blendtec in those stores). Granted, you will need to blend your greens in some liquid before adding the rest of your fruit, but big deal, this will take you just a minute longer.

What's also very nice is that the pre-programmed settings (for smoothies, ice crushing, soups etc) vary the speed to ensure optimal blending. It is of course also possible to go fully manual. At the highest speed, you can really notice that this blender has quite a bit more power than your standard blender - although I would say that noise levels are not much higher.

While this is a relatively new product (it was first introduced in late 2011 I think), we can't say much about its durability yet. However, Magimix food processors are of course highly regarded, while the 3-year warranty that comes with this product means that the company does have confidence in the quality of this product. I have also bought this blender for the same price as Amazon at a national department store retailer that is well-known for its service, while also paying their fair share of taxes, so believe I will be well looked after in case of any issues.

I will probably be using the blender on a daily basis and will update this review if any problems arise over the next three years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic blender - well worth the cost, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
I looked at the VitaMix but couldn't justify spending £450 on a blender, unless it was actually going to cook my dinner for me, lol. After doing some research and reading lots of reviews, I picked the Magimix blender and love it so much, I have just bought a second one for my partner. I do a lot of juicing of fruit and veg and frequently need to blend soft fruit with pips (e.g raspberries) or add seeds to soups (sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds etc) and this blender copes admirably. I use the "soup" setting for smoothies that have raspberries or blackberries in because it blends more finely, and sometimes use the "smoothie" setting for soups if I want a slightly more chunky texture so it's worth experimenting to get the results you want. Having got through 3 cheap blenders in 2 years because they just couldn't cope with the throughput and daily use (two of them developed leaks around the base of the blades and on the other, the jug cracked and wasn't replaceable), I am far more confident that the more powerful MagiMix will cope much better. The base unit is very sturdy and doesn't move at all on the worktop so I can set the blender going and do other things without having to change the blender speed or worry about it vibrating itself onto the floor! It's also very quiet considering the power of the motor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our second unit, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black (Kitchen & Home)
We bought our first one last Sept and we were most pleased with it
However it suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago and. I sent it back under its two year warranty
The new one is now in place and I hope this one proves more reliable
It makes superb soups and looks fantastic the working parts are of good quality and most sturdy
However if this one fails we will move to a more expensive model namely the Vitamix

Magimix 11610 1.8 Litre Blender, Black