1,226 Reviews

Published 17 months ago by Mr. J. Ramsden

3.0 out of 5 stars pgmpp6000
It seems to take a long time to charge,takes a high initial current,so you need a good 2amp supply to charge it,seems to go down quite quickly,instructions a bit confusing,the torch is good.
Published 19 months ago by jack

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for smartphone owners - tablet owners should get something bigger than 6000mAh, 1 Mar 2013
Mr. J. Ramsden (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the 6000mAh model after one too many days where my phone (HTC One S) had gone flat and was unable to find a free power socket. If you are carrying this power pack with you, it's as simple as plugging in your phone and turning the pack on. It will charge your phone as fast as a regular 5W wall charger, and they seem true to their word when they say you'll get 2-3 full phone charges from one charge of the power pack.

The 6000mAh model is especially convenient for Android owners - there is a built-in cable with a micro-USB plug, so you don't even need to bring your cable with you. They also include a selection of cables for other devices such as iPhones and PSPs, but you'll need to remember to bring the cable with you for these. You can use your own charging cables via the USB connection. It can also charge most tablets, but probably slower than you'd expect - this power pack only outputs 5W (1A at 5v) while tablet wall chargers usually provide 10W (2A at 5v).

You may have noticed that there are many sizes and capacities available from PowerGen and other companies. When I was choosing, I wanted something small and light enough that I could chuck in my bag until I needed it, but had a large enough capacity to be useful - if the power pack itself is always in need of charging then that somewhat defeats the point! After my experience, my advice would be:

2200mAh (from other companies): Will probably give your smartphone one full charge. You'll have to remember to charge it again every time you use it. Only get this if you want something as light as possible, or if you don't have a bag/large pocket to carry it around in.. Next to useless for tablets.

5200-6000mAh: Will give your smartphone 2-3 charges. A little heavier and larger than your phone, but still small enough to carry about. My recommendation for a day or two of intensive smartphone use. Not recommended for tablets since it will still run flat quite quickly, but will give your iPad about 1/3 of its charge when you ask it to.

8400-9000mAh: Should give your phone 4-5 charges. Since it is heavier and larger than the 6000mAh model, this is probably a little overkill if you are buying it for your phone only - though it's probably a good buy for music festivals when you'll be away from power sockets for several days at a time. For tablets, this is the first serious contender. It has a 10W outlet so should charge your tablet quite quickly, and even the enormous battery on the new iPad should be more than half filled with this.

12000mAh: Definitely overkill for phones, unless you are going to be away for many days. Best option for extending the battery life of your tablet, though given that it seems as big as a pocket dictionary, it will take a little commitment to carry it around with you!

Specifically back to the 6000mAh model, this is my experience with the various devices I have tried it with:

Smartphones with microUSB (i.e. most Androids): Perfect! Built-in cable, no adaptor required. Charges as quickly as at home.

iPod/iPhone with old style 30 pin connector: Perfect! You can either use your own USB cable or the one included.

iPod/iPhone with new Lightning connector: Charges no problem, but you'll need your own cable.

iPad: Will be slow with this 5W power pack, but it does get there. Generations 1 and 2 charge well since they don't have an especially large battery. Generations 3 and 4 have much larger batteries so you will only see about 1/3 charge replenishment, so I'd recommend a larger power pack than 6000mAh. Generations 1-3 can use the included cable or your own; for the 4th gen you'll need your own USB cable.

Asus Transformer: NOT officially supported by this charger since the Transformer likes to have up to 15V of charging pressure, not the 5V provided by power packs. After trying, the keyboard indeed does refuse to charge. If you try and charge the screen by itself, it will appear not to charge too. However, if you leave it alone and turn the screen off, it DOES charge very slowly back up to 100%.

To sum up, if the size meets your requirements then this is a well-built, good quality little power pack. Highly recommended for all out-and-about smartphone owners.

================================

UPDATE 28/1/14 - 1 year on (nearly!)

It's been 11 months since I bought this power pack. It's seen a slight drop in capacity - I would say that it just about manages 2 charges of my smartphone now, whereas I'm sure it used to manage 3. And it has developed a slight issue where it only charges itself back up to around 2/3 capacity when charging via a standard 5W mains charger before it reckons it's had its fill, but this can be worked around by finishing it off via computer USB (which I believe is slower, at 2.5W?). But still, considering how much I've thrown it around and abused it, for some no-brand chemicals-on-a-wire this is all very forgivable, and if it did eventually die altogether then I would certainly be replacing it like-for-like.

But what has struck me is simply how amazingly convenient it is. While I see my friends out and about killing their GPS, using near-worthless battery saver apps, setting their screens to be imperceptibly dark and refusing to use their phones at all mid-afternoon onwards, all for the promise of trying to eke out another measly hour of battery life for the journey home, I am free from all of that. Free from remembering which coffee shops provide power sockets, despite being full of obnoxiously loud tourists. Free to play Spotify on the train, instead of just pretending and sticking my earphones in. Free to be the cool guy in the pub who checks every fact on Wikipedia. The day when our finest scientists manage to break physics and produce a battery with the power of an atomic bomb in our pockets may happen, but it's a long way off yet. Until then, for as long as we demand supercomputers in our pockets to play Asphalt 8 a hundred metres below London and to Instagram from on top of Everest, you can trust this little power pack to see you through to the end of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of emergency power, 26 Nov 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I've had a few portable chargers over the years but none of them have had these kind of charging capabilities. 9000mAh is quite a bit of charge to carry around in your bag with you and will cover a few top ups on your devices until you can get somewhere be it home or work.

To charge this mobile sized device up just plug into your laptop/pc or use an iPhone type charger. There are 4 lights that indicate charge and once all four are lit, it's fully charged after about 8 hours. Simple as that. To charge your phones/ipods/iPods etc just choose the correct cable, plug in and press a button to begin charging. You can charge two devices simultaneously. It's simple to use.

I tested this out on-

- Handheld GPS unit
- Kindle touch
- Kindle fire
- Apple I pad
- HTC Desire hd
- Samsung galaxy Y
- Sansa clip mp3 player

It charged the above devices no problem. My phone the HTC which I use a hell of a lot was charged 4-5 times over which was brilliant. The iPad was charged to around 90% which is good enough for me and all the others fully charged.

Also on this device is a little torch which has come in handy for me a few times.

As somebody who cycles, hikes a lot this portable power pack is very useful and never leaves my rucksack nowadays. The build quality is very good and a few knocks shouldn't do it any harm.

This was provided to me for review.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work with iPhone 5, 28 Jun 2013
I wanted to be able to use my iPhone, on a long journey, without having to worry about the battery running low. This product resolves that issue. I also tried charging my iPad 3. Again, no issue. I noticed that some reviewers remarked on it not being compatible with iPhone 5. There are connectors in the box for many different devices. You just attache them onto the supplied USB cable as required. This is also how the product is charged. It is connected to an appropriate USB device - I charge the PowerGen from my Mac Book Pro. Now, it is true that there are connectors provided that fits the iPhone 3/4 and the iPad. However, there is no connector for the iPhone 5, since this is of a different design to previous models. This is not a major issue. It is simply a matter of carrying your iPhone 5 USB cable with you. You plug this into the device as required and charge the phone in this way. The absence of a specific iPhone 5 connector is the reason for the 4 star review. Otherwise, I am very happy with the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars pgmpp6000, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: PowerGen PGMPP6000 External Battery Pack High Capacity 6000mAh Power Bank Charger Dual USB output (w/imbedded Micro USB) for Apple iPhone 5 (Lightning Cable NOT included) iPhone 4s 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, iPad 2 3/ HTC sensation, XE, XL, One X S V, Thunderbolt, Inspire 4G , EVO 3D, EVO 4G, Desire S Z HD / Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 S 2 II ACE Mini, S Advance, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 / Motorola: Atrix 2, Droid 3 X X2 Razr Bionic, Triumph - BLACK (Wireless Phone Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars In-flight refuelling for your phone, 17 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are times when your mobile phone battery just doesn't last long enough. If you're away from a power source for a few days, you either need to ration your mobile phone use or just give up using it when it runs out. If, like me, you go to music festivals, you have the option of paying someone quite a lot of money to charge your phone, assuming you feel comfortable with leaving it with them. What you need is a portable charger of your own.

There are some phone chargers that take ordinary AA batteries, but of course they can cost a fortune in disposable batteries. The PowerGen, which was supplied to me for review by its Amazon distributor, is the first rechargeable portable charger I've seen, and it does away with all the disadvantages of other types of external chargers.

So, when you're planning to go away, you charge your phone and you also charge the PowerGen. It charges using a USB port in about 5 hours if you use a 1 Amp supply (it holds about 5.2 Amp hours). Most computer USB ports deliver less current, and so take longer to charge it, so it's best to use a mains-to-USB adapter, such as your Kindle, iPhone or iPad mains charging accessory. I use a 3 Pin 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger. The adapter supplied with the PowerGen is a flat 2-pin plug, which is not suitable for use in the UK without a travel adapter.

Now you have a charged PowerGen, whenever your phone starts running low on power, you plug in the PowerGen using another USB cable, press the charge button, and the power stored in the PowerGen charges your phone. For my phone, a Motorola Milestone 2 Android phone, the Powergen was able to give it three full charges, enough to keep it going for the duration of most music festivals. There was enough power left in the PowerGen to give an 80% charge to a friend's iPhone as well.

To add to the festival-going credentials of this useful little device, if you press the charge button twice, you can use the PowerGen as an LED torch.

There are two identical USB cables supplied (identical except for length - one is longer than the other) that accept a variety of plug adapters to make the PowerGen work with most devices that can be charged via USB. There are micro and mini USB, iPhone and PSP adapters (so it's not just for mobile phones!), and a selection of other adapters that I don't recognise. If you prefer, you can use the USB cable that came with your device, as the "from" end is a standard USB socket.

The PowerGen is compact enough to fit in your pocket alongside your phone. If you want to charge your phone while it's in your pocket, you need to be careful with the cable-plus-plug-adapter combination, which is a bit unwieldy, and can get twisted and unplug itself. It's fine if you're careful, and the PowerGen unit itself is robust. Four LEDs show how much charge is left in the PowerGen: each LED is roughly equivalent to an hour's charge.

The PowerGen is a simple idea that can make a big difference. It's great for festivals or if you're out of the office without access to a mains socket.

Note: I have seen other reviews that suggest that the rechargeable batteries in the PowerGen have a limited lifespan. I've only charged mine a couple of times so far and it seems fine, but I'll update this review if I see any problems. It's still likely to work out cheaper than using disposable batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Described, 1 Dec 2012
John - See all my reviews
I was looking for a back up supply for when I am on my travels or when we have a power cut over the winter months. This little beauty ticks all the boxes. I have charge a completely dead iphone4s to 100% three times off this. I just leave it plugged in to my laptop to charge up. It will charge the phone when I am using it, even when streaming program's from the BBC Iplayer. It even has a torch faculty, very handy. I am Very happy with this product, well worth the money :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2014
All the specs for this seem to match the description. It has 3 charging outputs, which can all be used at the same time at a slower charging rate or just use 1 or 2 of them at a faster charging rate.
When charging just one phone or tablet, it charges just as fast as a normal mains charger. It charges my Nexus 7 v2 about 4 times or my Android phone about 5 times with some power still left in it.
The unit itself is about the size of a large screen phone, but about twice as thick and quite heavy. It arrived about 90% charged and just needed a top up charge for about an hour or so.
It feels and looks like a good quality product and works perfectly in every way. There are a lot of these types of products on the market, so if you can't decide which one to get then get this one.
I'm very happy with it and very highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy indeed, 26 Nov 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I've had a few portable chargers over the years but none of them have had these kind of charging capabilities. 6000 mAh is quite a bit of charge to carry around in your bag with you and will cover a quick top up on your devices until you can get somewhere be it home or work.

To charge this mobile sized device up just plug into your laptop/pc or use an iPhone type charger. There are 4 lights that indicate charge and once all four are lit, it's fully charged. Simple as that. To charge your phones/ipods/iPods etc just choose the correct cable, plug in and press a button to begin charging. It's simple to use.

I tested this out on-

- Handheld GPS unit
- Kindle touch
- Kindle fire
- Apple I pad
- HTC Desire hd
- Samsung galaxy Y
- Sansa clip mp3 player

It charged the above devices no problem. My phone the HTC which I use a hell of a lot was charged three times over which was brilliant. The iPad was charged to around 50% which is good enough for me and all the others fully charged.

Also on this device is a handy little torch which has come in handy for me a few times.

As somebody who cycles, hikes a lot this portable power pack is very useful and never leaves my rucksack nowadays. The build quality is pretty solid too so a few knocks shouldn't do it any harm.

This was provided to me for review.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but doesn't work, 14 April 2014
Feels well built and fairly solid however after the first charge which was good for approximately 3 re charges of my HTC One it failed to charge again despite being plugged in to the mains overnight.

I would say that the on/off button is badly designed as it can easily be accidentally pressed whilst in a bag or pocket.

A word about E Trading 24 - They have so far failed to respond to or acknowledge emails (three in one week) however Amazon to their credit responded very quickly when I contacted them to complain and I will be returning this for a refund today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE battery that I carry with myself - everywhere!, 12 Aug 2014
I decided to buy this because I needed something to keep on me all the time that can relieve my phone of a dying battery. I came across this battery that's a huge 14000mAh in size. Basically that means that it can charge your phone 4/5 times on a single charge. The product I got was a shiny white colour with two cords coming out each side. Also, it has 2 USB ports on top for any other devices. The left side cord is a phone cable for Samsung, Blackberry's and other android phones. The right side cord is for charging the battery, it can be plugged in to your PC or a wall outlet. I always use the wall plug because it would take literally hours to charge on a PC. On top are the two USB ports, this is for iPhones and others devices like cameras and wireless headphones that need charging. The product itself is brilliant, it has a really nice feel and build to it. However it must miss a star because the right side cable (USB) is quite short meaning that it can sometimes be dangling mid-charge because of the short cable. Also the cables feel very thin and I'm sure with a but of force they could be ripped out very easily. Other than those 2 flaws this product is brilliant for anyone wanting to revive their gadgets on the go.