There are times when your mobile phone battery just doesn't last long enough. If you're away from a power source for a few days, you either need to ration your mobile phone use or just give up using it when it runs out. If, like me, you go to music festivals, you have the option of paying someone quite a lot of money to charge your phone, assuming you feel comfortable with leaving it with them. What you need is a portable charger of your own.

There are some phone chargers that take ordinary AA batteries, but of course they can cost a fortune in disposable batteries. The PowerGen, which was supplied to me for review by its Amazon distributor, is the first rechargeable portable charger I've seen, and it does away with all the disadvantages of other types of external chargers.

So, when you're planning to go away, you charge your phone and you also charge the PowerGen. It charges using a USB port in about 5 hours if you use a 1 Amp supply (it holds about 5.2 Amp hours). Most computer USB ports deliver less current, and so take longer to charge it, so it's best to use a mains-to-USB adapter, such as your Kindle, iPhone or iPad mains charging accessory. I use a 3 Pin 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger. The adapter supplied with the PowerGen is a flat 2-pin plug, which is not suitable for use in the UK without a travel adapter.

Now you have a charged PowerGen, whenever your phone starts running low on power, you plug in the PowerGen using another USB cable, press the charge button, and the power stored in the PowerGen charges your phone. For my phone, a Motorola Milestone 2 Android phone, the Powergen was able to give it three full charges, enough to keep it going for the duration of most music festivals. There was enough power left in the PowerGen to give an 80% charge to a friend's iPhone as well.

To add to the festival-going credentials of this useful little device, if you press the charge button twice, you can use the PowerGen as an LED torch.

There are two identical USB cables supplied (identical except for length - one is longer than the other) that accept a variety of plug adapters to make the PowerGen work with most devices that can be charged via USB. There are micro and mini USB, iPhone and PSP adapters (so it's not just for mobile phones!), and a selection of other adapters that I don't recognise. If you prefer, you can use the USB cable that came with your device, as the "from" end is a standard USB socket.

The PowerGen is compact enough to fit in your pocket alongside your phone. If you want to charge your phone while it's in your pocket, you need to be careful with the cable-plus-plug-adapter combination, which is a bit unwieldy, and can get twisted and unplug itself. It's fine if you're careful, and the PowerGen unit itself is robust. Four LEDs show how much charge is left in the PowerGen: each LED is roughly equivalent to an hour's charge.

The PowerGen is a simple idea that can make a big difference. It's great for festivals or if you're out of the office without access to a mains socket.

Note: I have seen other reviews that suggest that the rechargeable batteries in the PowerGen have a limited lifespan. I've only charged mine a couple of times so far and it seems fine, but I'll update this review if I see any problems. It's still likely to work out cheaper than using disposable batteries.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 January 2013
Received this today and was a bit confused as another review had mentioned the charge cable was connected to the unit. After looking again, I realised it was for a different model (6000mAH). So, I think it is a bit misleading of Amazon to use the reviews for all the different models for one model.

Saying that, it is a very nice looking piece and comes about 75% charged. I've plugged it into my computer to charge and it works fine, and I've plugged it into my phone to charge, and it seems to be charging at the same rate as when I plug it into the wall.

It's slightly heavier than my phone, but with the amount of charge it holds I would say it's worth its weight and worth carrying around everywhere for emergencies/won't put my shoulder out of kilter if I carry it around in my bag.

My only concern at the moment is with scratching and keeping the cables with the unit - I may be able to fish the unit out of the bottom of my bag but what about the cable?

In conclusion, nice unit but if I had been more careful and noted the reviews on here were of different models, I would have gone for the 6000mAH for a couple more pounds.
on 14 April 2014
This is a pretty good battery, however, it does have a major design flaw.

That is, the power button is raised, which means that every time I take it out of my bag or pocket to use it, it's already on as it's inevitably been pressed against by something or other and the button has got pressed.

Worse still, more often than not, when I go to use it, the *torch* is on too, as it only takes a double-press of the button to turn it on, so the device is often flat or severely depleted whenever I go to use it.

They should have made power button recessed, or requiring a press-and-hold to turn it on, or made it a physical switch.

I've even got a little case to keep it and the cable in, but even the movement of the cable in the case sometimes turns the thing on!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 November 2012
I bought this charger for my Galaxy Note which gets very heavy usage (phone is the least of its work, it's a mini computer and used for work as a home teacher) and needs constant charging. It's been a source of security - my last cheapo charger plugged directly into the phone but the connection bent after about a week. This one comes with a short cable and a choice of interchangeable connections, though it's just as easy to use a longer cable, and it's so simple to just reverse the cable: input on the side, output at the end. There are four big bold bright blue charge indicator lights, so there's less chance of being "caught short", a simple on-off switch which also operates the flashlight - now there's another added bonus
on 24 December 2012
This was recommended to me by Sukkin Pang, a friend and an electronics expert. I needed something to provide portable power for a Raspberry Pi computer and the PowerGen has proved perfect. It lasts for hours, it's light and compact, and it recharges quickly.
on 24 December 2014
In my experience, this is a versatile, useful charging device. I have used it with smartphones, tablets, e-readers, sat nav, and a raspberry pi. In all instances it works very well. It is a good size (about 9 x 4 x 1.5 cm) and slips easily into a pocket. The product is well-finished and appears to be of good quality.

What is most impressive to me is for how long it effectively holds a charge. I recently picked it up again after not having used it for a while (say 6 months or so). It still showed 4 blue rings (full charge) and stayed that way for about an hour while charging. I thought that was pretty good.

Currently I use it to provide power for a car sat nav (Garmin Nuvi 250) that I've mounted onto my motorbike (real bike sat navs are pretty expensive). Instead of buying an adapter that allows you to siphon off power from the bike's 12v battery, I dug this powergen out instead and hooked things up that way. The powergen sits in a compartment under the seat, with a mini usb wire running up to the bike's handlebars and into the sat nav. Alone, the nav's internal battery only allows about 2 hours before it cuts out. With the powergen plugged in, I get about ten (that's an estimate - I've never actually been on a journey long enough for it to run out on me).

I am sure I will find even more uses for this in the future. It's perfect for any application that needs a portable 5V, 1A power supply. I can't vouch for other brands/makes in comparison... but that's only because I never needed to try them out. This is the first power bank that I bought, and it worked so well that I didn't need to buy again. How often can you say that?

There are some less positive reviews on here (not many, but a few). I put this down to three things: 1) genuinely faulty units. 2) incompatible devices. 3) user error.
on 25 October 2012
I bought this as a last resort for a struggling phone. I don't typically have good experiences with battery extenders or similar type products, but just couldn't stand having my phone die after 6 hours of battery any longer.

I bought the PowerGen 5200mAh pack and it arrived fully charged, which was an unadvertised welcome surprise. I took it with me on an out-of-town trip, and got 2 charges out of it never once needing to plug my phone into a mains outlet. I was so impressed I instantly bought another as a gift, and have recommended it to everyone I know that depends on their mp3 player or phone as much as I do.

I have had a couple of issues, when pressing the button to see the charge level and seeing a full bat, only to plug it in and sometimes only get a 20 min charge or so and then the pack just wont turn back on. I'm not sure if it's run out of juice or if it coming disconnected and being reconnected too frequently caused it to have an issue, but after a recharge it was fine again, and I still managed to get enough power out of it to charge my phone more than halfway.
I'm not sure if it's because the battery level isn't accurate enough or what, but either way I've relied on this thing many times since I got it, and always carry it in my bag.

Never again will I end up trying to figure out the last train journey home on the last 1% of my phones battery, or trying to make an important call just as the battery packs in. The Battery Pack has saved me every time.
on 20 August 2012
After having bought its bigger brother i was supplied with this as well for reviewing purposes.

after just returning from a camping trip all i can say is why did i buy its bigger brother.

Yes its only has 1 usb port so its big brother is better for charging more then one thing at the time. my reason for buying its bigger brother was to power my pocket projector wich only seemed to managed 1 and a bit hour of play time thus missing the end of movies, on this power pack we have now managed to get through 2 full movies and still hadn't managed to drain the packs battery nor had touched the power of the projector so it appears that this should allow me to watch 3 full movies on the move. Fantastic.

extra bonus is as to its smaller size this is the ideal companion for my phone when riding arround on my Motorbike, i had been looking at putting in hard wiring to the bike to be able to power my phone whilst on the move or parked up. with this there simply isn't a need for wiring the bike up as this gives all the power required and keeps on giving.

love the fact that even when charging the packs you are able to still use them as well. so whilst prepping for our trip i charged both the small and big pack but to save on wall sockets i had both packs charge up all projector equipment (external speaker & projector) and also an travel radio.

only improvements i could think off would be.

a power button that isn't easily pressed by accident. the smaller packs power button is bigger and when packed away with stuff can be easily switched on without you realising it. (bigger version has a tiny button wich makes this less likely to happen.

and a way to have it supply charge without wasting power on indicating the level of charge left.

Fab item and would well recomend this to any one looking to have some power on the move.
on 2 July 2012
I bought the PowerGen Mobile Juice Pack Ultra / External Battery Pack 5200mAh High Capacity Power Bank to use primarily with my iPhone as when I was using the phone for consistently during the day referencing web stored materials the battery soon ran down, making things awkward. I researched what was available and the balance of looks, weight and more importantly the 5200mAh capacity won the day.

The delivery and packaging were as I have said were good and when I opened the packaging I found that the unit itself was pleasing and more interestingly it comes with seven adapters and two cables. It has a simple but effective set of LEDs indicating battery level, a charging connection and a USB outlet. I suppose the bonus was the added extra of it being a LED torch as well.

Since purchase it has become part of my daily travel kit, not only has it kept my phone fully charged throughout a working day but also other peoples. Generally it will give two full charges, although this varies slightly depending on the item. So far it has charged iPhones, Nokia phone, Kindle and Philips media player. Oh yes my iPhone cable works a treat with it.

One bonus I found in use was that you could attach it and continue your call whilst it was attached recharging. It was a little awkward but it allowed the business call to continue without interruption.

So there you have it, I found it does the job, it's comfortable, adaptable and in regard to weight it is a reasonable compromise.

I'm glad I bought it as I can now use my iPhone to the max without worrying about losing contact at the end of a working day.
on 18 December 2011
This is how I charge my phone now because I'm not tied to a mains outlet. My main reason for buying this is for extended life away from the mains, just charge up before going into the mountains, moors or whatever and for my phone I have 4x charge ups. For £20 it's a must. My phone never goes near the mains, I just make sure the juice pack is charged.

After using this for some months my only criticism is that the 5200mAhr capacity is a bit optimistic. Nevertheless, 2 + a bit full charges of my Sony Experia Active is fine.