4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work with iPhone 5
Published 16 months ago by Dames

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work well
The item was very well made and felt very solid. It also came with clear instructions. Sadly,it would not charge to more than two out of the four indicator lights and did not seem to be able to hold a full capacity charge. Item sent back as faulty.
Published 16 months ago by xrn

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work with iPhone 5, 28 Jun 2013
I wanted to be able to use my iPhone, on a long journey, without having to worry about the battery running low. This product resolves that issue. I also tried charging my iPad 3. Again, no issue. I noticed that some reviewers remarked on it not being compatible with iPhone 5. There are connectors in the box for many different devices. You just attache them onto the supplied USB cable as required. This is also how the product is charged. It is connected to an appropriate USB device - I charge the PowerGen from my Mac Book Pro. Now, it is true that there are connectors provided that fits the iPhone 3/4 and the iPad. However, there is no connector for the iPhone 5, since this is of a different design to previous models. This is not a major issue. It is simply a matter of carrying your iPhone 5 USB cable with you. You plug this into the device as required and charge the phone in this way. The absence of a specific iPhone 5 connector is the reason for the 4 star review. Otherwise, I am very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2014
All the specs for this seem to match the description. It has 3 charging outputs, which can all be used at the same time at a slower charging rate or just use 1 or 2 of them at a faster charging rate.
When charging just one phone or tablet, it charges just as fast as a normal mains charger. It charges my Nexus 7 v2 about 4 times or my Android phone about 5 times with some power still left in it.
The unit itself is about the size of a large screen phone, but about twice as thick and quite heavy. It arrived about 90% charged and just needed a top up charge for about an hour or so.
It feels and looks like a good quality product and works perfectly in every way. There are a lot of these types of products on the market, so if you can't decide which one to get then get this one.
I'm very happy with it and very highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In-flight refuelling for your phone, 17 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PowerGen 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger 1A output for Apple iPhone 4s 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, iPad 2 / HTC sensation, XE, XL, One X, Thunderbolt, Inspire 4G , EVO 3D 4G, Desire S Z HD / Samsung Galaxy S2 S 2 II ACE Mini, S Advance, Galaxy Nexus/ Nokia N9 N8 N900 N800 Lumia 800 900 710 610 / Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Arc, Arc S, Play, Neo pro, X8, Ray / Blackberry Bold Curve Torch 8520 9900 9300 9360 / NDS (Wireless Phone Accessory)
There are times when your mobile phone battery just doesn't last long enough. If you're away from a power source for a few days, you either need to ration your mobile phone use or just give up using it when it runs out. If, like me, you go to music festivals, you have the option of paying someone quite a lot of money to charge your phone, assuming you feel comfortable with leaving it with them. What you need is a portable charger of your own.

There are some phone chargers that take ordinary AA batteries, but of course they can cost a fortune in disposable batteries. The PowerGen, which was supplied to me for review by its Amazon distributor, is the first rechargeable portable charger I've seen, and it does away with all the disadvantages of other types of external chargers.

So, when you're planning to go away, you charge your phone and you also charge the PowerGen. It charges using a USB port in about 5 hours if you use a 1 Amp supply (it holds about 5.2 Amp hours). Most computer USB ports deliver less current, and so take longer to charge it, so it's best to use a mains-to-USB adapter, such as your Kindle, iPhone or iPad mains charging accessory. I use a 3 Pin 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger. The adapter supplied with the PowerGen is a flat 2-pin plug, which is not suitable for use in the UK without a travel adapter.

Now you have a charged PowerGen, whenever your phone starts running low on power, you plug in the PowerGen using another USB cable, press the charge button, and the power stored in the PowerGen charges your phone. For my phone, a Motorola Milestone 2 Android phone, the Powergen was able to give it three full charges, enough to keep it going for the duration of most music festivals. There was enough power left in the PowerGen to give an 80% charge to a friend's iPhone as well.

To add to the festival-going credentials of this useful little device, if you press the charge button twice, you can use the PowerGen as an LED torch.

There are two identical USB cables supplied (identical except for length - one is longer than the other) that accept a variety of plug adapters to make the PowerGen work with most devices that can be charged via USB. There are micro and mini USB, iPhone and PSP adapters (so it's not just for mobile phones!), and a selection of other adapters that I don't recognise. If you prefer, you can use the USB cable that came with your device, as the "from" end is a standard USB socket.

The PowerGen is compact enough to fit in your pocket alongside your phone. If you want to charge your phone while it's in your pocket, you need to be careful with the cable-plus-plug-adapter combination, which is a bit unwieldy, and can get twisted and unplug itself. It's fine if you're careful, and the PowerGen unit itself is robust. Four LEDs show how much charge is left in the PowerGen: each LED is roughly equivalent to an hour's charge.

The PowerGen is a simple idea that can make a big difference. It's great for festivals or if you're out of the office without access to a mains socket.

Note: I have seen other reviews that suggest that the rechargeable batteries in the PowerGen have a limited lifespan. I've only charged mine a couple of times so far and it seems fine, but I'll update this review if I see any problems. It's still likely to work out cheaper than using disposable batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential if you ever leave your house, 9 Aug 2014
In case of zombie apocalypse, you'll have at least a few more hours of downloaded Treehouse tutorial fun with this baby. Carried it around with me in Scotland because, as we all know, the iPhone is a splendid but weak thing that loses the will to live faster than I lose the will to diet when encountering a box of Krispy Kremes.

Nice and easy to use, holds a charge forever, charges the phone fairly quickly and is surprisingly not too heavy for what it is. Great product, must have if you enjoy nature but definitely can't stand anything less than 80% charge on your phone (what happens is you get attacked by a bear in Cornwall and you need to call for help but you phone's been on for 17 minutes and it's dead?!)

Great investment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work well, 8 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power pack for Pi, 6 May 2013
Mr. A. Stokes (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
Just the job for powering a raspberry pi on the move. Lasts all day. Very pleased with it and have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Both E-Trading Customer Service And this Battery Pack, 15 Sep 2014
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It's great when a product works so well that you don't even need to worry about its warranty. Nonetheless, my review reflects my experiences when I needed a little problem looked after.

Basically, I had a little problem with my Powergen 12,000mah battery pack after 3 months usage. Basically the input where its charging wire should affix, resulted in a loose connection, which meant I was unable to get a stable charge into the battery pack for long. I wrote a review which reflected my experiences, and before saying another word, to my astonishment, 'E-trading' were apologising and offered to replace it. Frankly that is utterly outstanding customer service!

A couple of days later I'd taken delivery of its replacement, and so I simply had to delete my initial review, and moreover replace it with this advice: have every confidence when buying from 'E-trading', as their 'no quibble' customer service is second to none. If yours develops a fault within its warranty period, I can tell you from experience that you will definitely want to be dealing with E-trading. In other words, buy this battery pack and I can assure you, that you will be in the right hands and very well looked after, should anything go wrong within its warranty period. Utterly excellent! And the battery pack is, otherwise, very good too. Albeit, to be perfectly frank, were I to purchase another I'd likely go for an even higher powered one - as this will only charge my Kindle, S2 and Mp3 player before then needing a recharge. HTH

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of bang for your buck, 9 Feb 2014
I had looked at a lot of external battery packs before buying this one as there were a lot of pros and cons to weigh up between them. So firstly, let's have a look at a few specifications for this product.

• 14000mAH capacity
• 3.1A max output shared between 3 outputs. 2.1A which can be shared into 2 outputs, a USB port and an attached micro USB cable, and a 1A output.
• Fully Charged by 10w (DC 5V 2.1A) Adapter (Not included): 8-10Hrs
• Comes with 2 USB leads (20cm & 60cm) with 3 adapters that you can attach (Apple 30-pin and 2 micro USB)

Now a few notes on these specifications:

• It seems to have around nearer to 11000mAH which is around what it should have as although the manufacturers never state this, there is a conversion rate to consider which means external batteries like this lose an average of 30% of it's max capacity. This means though this seems to perform above the industry average in this sense as it roughly works out to have a conversion rate of around 20% from what I've found.
• The main reason I chose this external battery pack over others was simply because of the attached cables. There is a micro USB cable attached which can output at 2.1A and I have tested the cable and it does indeed charge my Samsung Galaxy Note II at full speed. The cable feels decent quality but does look as though it is a little on the thin side, but being so short, this doesn't affect the speed it can charge. It also has a USB cable attached which is used to charge the battery pack, which again is the short and quite thin. You should also note that the cables are not labelled, so you have to remember that the micro USB cable is on the left and the USB cable is on the right. They can also be a little fidgety to put back into place sometimes too.

• I've tested the ports with several cables and all cables that were 30cm or shorter charged my phone at full speed from the 2.1A port. I also tested a few other cables are various longer lengths and came back with quite a few varying results. It would charge at a current of anything from 600mAH-1800mAH on the 2.1A, and anwhere from 400mAH-1000mAH on the 1A port. Most of these cables I tested with the official Samsung 2A USB wall adapter and was getting full or close to full speeds using that. So the fluctuating in the output I was getting from the Powergen was a little concerning. I would like to be able to say that it is the fault of the cables I used, but like I said, when testing in a wall USB adapter, I was getting much more consistent charging speeds.

• Build quality of the battery seems pretty decent. Mainly hard glossy plastic with the cables having a slightly rubberised feel. Apart from the flimsy cables though, it does feel quite sturdy and the cables do seem safe when put away. The cables and adapters that come with this are decent enough. Both the cables seemed to charge my phone at full speeds so there wasn't a problem with that. It's a shame that this didn't come with a carrying pouch as I feel that carrying pouches are a great accessory for these battery packs.

Overall though, I'm still quite happy with it as I will primarily be using the attached micro USB cable which does indeed charge at full speed, and the extra ports I will just consider as a bonus even with their seemingly fluctuating power outputs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powergen 12000mAh, 19 Aug 2014
I purchased the 12000mAh model, as I travel a lot, and sometimes have no sockets. now having the device for a couple of weeks, I have used it, on a plane, in the car, and during camping. I usually carry a few devices with me, so the three ports are very handy for charging them all at the same time.

since I bought it, I have only had to charge the device twice! it holds the charge extremely well. I always fully charge each of my phones, and there is still charge left to charge them again.
great product, and for a good price!

5.0 out of 5 stars juice pack, 18 Dec 2011
James Guy (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This is how I charge my phone now because I'm not tied to a mains outlet. My main reason for buying this is for extended life away from the mains, just charge up before going into the mountains, moors or whatever and for my phone I have 4x charge ups. For £20 it's a must. My phone never goes near the mains, I just make sure the juice pack is charged.

After using this for some months my only criticism is that the 5200mAhr capacity is a bit optimistic. Nevertheless, 2 + a bit full charges of my Sony Experia Active is fine.