5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music Making.
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by STEVE (Millport, Scotland)

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Yo-Yo Ma BUT...
Published 10 days ago by loveberries

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music Making., 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
Despite this being a fusion of the unlikeliest of styles, i.e. Scottish/Irish folk,bluegrass,jazz,classical, this is music making of a very high order, played with great feeling and virtuosity. There is a cohesion between the musicians that usually only comes after years of playing together. The "Average Customer Review" has been pulled out of shape by somebody elsewhere giving it one star because it didn't arrive wrapped in cellophane, so I feel compelled to accord it five to help redress the balance. Lots to enjoy here, cellophane or no..

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stellar ...soothing, exciting, intriguing ...beautiful, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
Well, I can't get enough of this permutation of musicians. I've always been a fan of Stuart Duncan, since his days with The Nashville Bluegrass Band, and I'm now a huge HUGE fan of The Punch Brothers. Now I've added Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer to my list of people whose music I will go out and buy without even hearing it first.

This collection is stellar. I can either sit and listen to it intently, or put it on as background, and do things like work on my novel to the tracks--it's that kind of CD. Each track has the ability to stick in the head in a good way, and I find myself not skipping tracks, but playing the CD straight through. Each track develops a musical theme--which becomes instantly recognisable and memorable--much like classical music does. The theme weaves through, gets treatment by different instrumental groupings, returns to the original, goes off into unexpected directions.

I would describe the style of this CD as elegant as opposed to lush, in that nothing is ever done for show-offy reasons, and the musical integrity itself takes precedence over everything else--including the virtuosity of the performers. They are happy to play 'simple' when the music calls for it. This is a collaboration made in heaven ...but then so are The Punch Brothers. Some musical groupings just 'work.' This one certainly does.

And speaking of heaven ...the track "Here and Heaven"--one of only two vocal tracks on the album--is one of Chris Thile's best lyrical and musical offerings to date. As in so many of his songs, the meaning of the lyrics doesn't gel immediately, because the quality of the music is so high and proves an initial distraction. But when the meanings of the lyrics do fall into place ...as these did for me only this morning ...I am stunned by his maturity as a lyricist. This one encapsulates EXACTLY the fears and restrictions we feel as we get older and our lives are more than half lived, and we become conservative in the sense that we fear taking chances that may leave us with nothing. We prefer lukewarm to hot or cold as we wait around for things to get worse. I can't believe he knows this already, as he's only in his early 30s. Just wonderful stuff.

I honestly can't see anybody disliking this CD, no matter what your musical preferences might be. It straddles so many genres, and does it so well. These people are truly gems of our generation, as their multiple awards indicate. I look forward to more collaborations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goat Rodeo sessions, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
It takes some listening to but the more you listen the more you hear- it's my favourite c.d.- it just gets better and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
This is one of the albums I put on when I want to feel good. Great music. I can't say it any better than that.
C

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluegrass by maestros, 14 April 2013
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
Bluegrass by internationally renowned classical musicians. Lots of fun being had by all. Thoroughly recommended for either American folk or classical fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything and more, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
I just love this CD, it is great to play in the car on long journeys, or just have as my Sunday music(or any day music for that matter)

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Yo-Yo Ma BUT..., 9 April 2015
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (MP3 Download)
I regretted purchasing this online download from Amazon on impulse. I love Yo-Yo Ma, occasionally enjoy Punch Brothers so I thought the combination of their instruments would be interesting. Before purchasing I tried to listen to a couple songs from this album and found them quite refreshing and different. However now, the more I listen to them the less I like. I feel that this album in general sounds flat and lazy and in some respect irritating. It is a bit like in a casual music gig when every musician is playing their own music instrument and having individual fun but forgetting they should co-operate with each other for the sake of the audience who are expecting for a good concert experience instead of a chaos noise.
Sorry no disrespect for the musicians in this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rodea of Sounds, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (Audio CD)
For the adventurous listener, these performances show just what a collective of superb musicians there is on this disc. This may not be initially to everybody's taste. But be patent and you will discover something that is musically exciting, with outstanding recorded sound. I have a hunch this will gather new friends if there is any justice out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars YoYo and friends...what more is there to say?, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Goat Rodeo Sessions (MP3 Download)
Amazing CD. I saw these guys live at Hollywood Bowl and couldn't get enough. Never thought I'd be a big fan of bluegrass, but if it's always like this, sign me up!

5.0 out of 5 stars PK, 18 Jun. 2013
Great album.
Something very special by a group of very talented musicians.
Chris Thile is a man genuinely interested in creating good sounds.

The Goat Rodeo Sessions