5.0 out of 5 stars 2 disc special edition - Sex and the City
Published on 26 Sept. 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment
They say brevity is the soul of wit. Unfortunately this is one of those films that reminds us of that. It also sharpens our appreciation for just how much of the TV show's appeal came from its deft, rapier-like precision. From really tightly written dialogue and spot-on editing.

Published on 30 May 2012 by Theo

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 disc special edition - Sex and the City, 26 Sept. 2008
I pre-ordered the 2 disc special edition from Amazon and as promised it was delievered slap bang on my doorstep on its official release date. Well done Amazon. Anyhow saw the film at the pics, fantastic. Decided to buy this edition and boy what a waste of money. Stick to the normal edition. I thought there would be loads of interviews with the cast but there was just one with SJP and the writer Michael King. A look at the wardrobe dept. and a commentary on deleted scenes. Nothing too much to interest you there. If you are a big fan though you would probably invest in this edition but otherwise save your cash, buy the 1 disc DVD and purchase the soundtrack of the album (which is awesome) with the money you have saved.

4.0 out of 5 stars suprising, 13 July 2010
B. Bentley (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
I have never been an ardent fan of Sex and The City. I always enjoyed the odd programme I watched but that was about it. It wasnt until the second film came out and I listened to a lot of critisim from different reviewers that I decided to watch the first film before viewing the second at the cinema.
This film, given the extra time to explore the main characters feelings was very good. It follows a familiar format to that of the series but you didnt need to have seen the series to understand the relationship between the girls. Many women will be able to understand the feeling and frustrations higlighted in this film and although the storyline was a bit predictable I still enjoyed the film and would recommend it to anyone with a little romance in their soul.
I did feel that this film rounded up the whole Sex and The City experience and Im suprised they even bothered with a second film. Im not so sure about seeing the second film as I was before viewing the first. It just seems a bit unnecessary. On the whole, this film was very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb......................................, 13 April 2010
Mrs. D. Guest (East London) - See all my reviews
This movie is a superb follow up to the tv series of Sex and the City. It picks up four years on The film sees friends Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker), Samantha Jones the publicist, (played by Kim Cattrall), Charlotte York, the art gallery curator (played by Kristin Davis) and Miranda Hobbes, the cynical lawyer (played by Cynthia Nixon) continuing to juggle work, relationships, motherhood and Manhattan real estate in their 40s. Chris Noth reprises his role as Carrie's Mr Big, David Eigenberg is Miranda's down-to-earth husband Steve, Evan Handler plays Charlotte's dependable husband Harry, and Jason Lewis makes a showing as Samantha's actor boyfriend, Smith. Carrie who is a successful author and journalist,who also writes a column about sex and relationships in New York city, and who is also everyone's favourite fashion icon-next-door turns 50 years old in the film, but still has her impeccable dress sense, and her sardonic wit is sharper than ever. She continues to narrate her own story about sex, love and the fashion-obsessed single woman in New York City, as the film goes along. The show still has that wonderful style, humour and wit that people are drawn too. Many people can relate to the same problems that the 4 girls in Sex and the City have. The film is about forgiveness, and the pursuit of love in a way that is positive, real and meaningful. Academy Award-winning actress Jennifer Hudson (also in the film Dreamgirls) plays Carrie Bradshaw's assistant. In the film, Carrie is planning her long-anticipated wedding to Mr. Big, also known as John James Preston, with her best friends - Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. She suddenly learns that life doesn't play out like a fairytale. But when all else fails, you always have your closest friends to lean on. Well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good :) !, 21 Sept. 2008
Akaibi Vine (England) - See all my reviews
I went to see this movie on opening night and went back 3 more times, I love it so much, it's made me cry every time, but definately gets more upbeat as it goes on and has some real funny bits, particularly with Charlotte. A really great end to an amazing programme, which I still miss! I'm so gutted it's over, but if you're still feeling the blues, this should pick you up.

I pre-ordered this 2 disc edition from Zavvi (sorry Amazon) and got it three days before release, which is how I'm reviewing it now, after finally getting round to watching it. I definately noticed the extra bits in the film, but obvoiusly they're nothing life changing, just cut out to make the film a shorter 2 and a half hours - yes, it's mammoth - but yeah, the extra bits don't make a real difference, the main scene added was a hallowe'en bit with Lily in, which was sweet, and a bit longer trying on Carrie's clothes from her wardrobe earlier in the film. So in my opinion, they don't add much, but the extra disc with interviews and on-set footage is good, and there's a nice long bit with Pat Field and the girls talking about the wardrobe, amongst other things, and there's directors commentary, but I haven't faced that as of yet, I've spent a whole afternoon playing around with the discs and stuff though, so it'll keep you amused for quite a while.

There's no need to go on and on about the actual film, I can't understand why any Sex and the City fan wouldn't like it but there has been mixed reviews I suppose. I admit there's a few bits that were less than perfect but it's a 2 and a half hour film, it can't all be breath taking! Definately a must for any fan - or even SATC virgins! As the premier approached, I found out two of my best friends had never watched the series, and they both came to see it more than once, and loved it :) Though, if you only want this edition for the longer version of the film I don't know if it's worth it, if you want to see the extra stuff on the second disc then go for it!

Enjoyyyy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, 20 July 2010
J. Le Bailly - See all my reviews
Good movie but the series are much better. There are still too much emphasis on carrie bradshaw aka SJP unfortunately...

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint, 8 Feb. 2009
E. SEFOLLI (England) - See all my reviews
I went to see this at the cinema on the day it was released. I dressed up in heels and a dress and sat down with my drink and popcorn ready to be swept away and i was not disappointed.

It is like one long episode all in one. For anyone who has not seen the series, they can watch this as a film all on its own but for anyone who has watched the series from beginning to end, it was a wonderful follow up.

I would recommend this to anyone. Laugh out loud and cry big tears, it has it all. Even my husband who said he "hates" Sex and the city, was drawn in! Buy it, buy it, buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex and the city in high definition, utterly charming for a young lady!, 22 Feb. 2013
First of all I have to mention that I bought this DVD second hand in used very good condition and the disc came immaculate from Zoverstocks, but the case was a little scuffed I paid less than half the price of the new copy and I'm very pleased and trust the seller.

THE BLU RAY IS OF BETTER QUALITY THAN THE DVD.

Now I give this a five star rating because as being a massive fan of the series I was excited to see the movie again. This was shipped and arrived very quickly so the first thing I did was stick it in my PS3 and watch. It's a very long film, around three hours in total so it's not for a quick watch you need to sit down at it it's a long story.

The story follows Carrie Bradshaw in New York during the build up to her wedding with John James Preston (Big) she originally chooses what would be the right wedding but vogue asks her to do '40' and cover it as the last single girl, she is given a Vivienne Westwood dress for free and instead of her suit chooses to wear this one. Miranda (still married to Steve) hits a rocky patch and they end up separated, she tells Big he would be crazy to get married causing him to leave the wedding. Carrie and her friends continue to Mexico where Charlotte gets travellers diarrhea after swallowing the water even after trying to avoid it with pudding. When they return Carrie goes back to her old life, I was slightly surprised that she actually went back the way she was so depressed and miserable all the time, Carrie Bradshaw in this state over a man?! shocking. But she gets a PA and in time still does not get over big, eventually they get back together along with Miranda and Steve after Charlotte finds out she's pregnant with baby Rose. In the end as predicted, Carrie does marry Big in a very simple ceremony in her suit.

All in all an excellent watch, very fun and one of my favourites. Definitely worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 30 May 2012
Theo (Gondwana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Of course, whenever a half-hour show gets extrapolated into a full length movie, the central issue the creators must struggle with is almost always the same: what works very well in half an hour minus commercial breaks rarely works out so well in a full length movie. The writers must choose between sticking with the tried and tested formula, and so almost inevitably producing mediocrity, or alternatively, taking some very real creative risks with the way they approach and structure the entire piece.

In this case...

Let's just say they chose not to take those risks.

When watching this movie there were times where I really felt as if I were watching a scene from the TV series played out in slow motion. In a typical episode the TV show communicated more in one minute than the film would in ten. There were other times when the film simply dragged, even to the point where it was just plain boring. To be fair, it wasn't all like this. There were times in the film, mainly around the middle, where I genuinely got caught up in the characters, the world they inhabited, and what they were doing. It's just that there were also plenty of times when I didn't. Given that this film came in at over two and a quarter hours, I can't help but feel that it would've benefited from some more proactive editing. It's almost as if, having lived so long under the tyranny of the 22 minute half hour, the writers and editors never developed the ability to impose discipline from within.

On the plus side, this film is beautiful simply to look at. And it's impossible for me to say a single bad word about the actors. Or for that matter about the "behind the scenes" people who did the props, the sets, and the photography. Everything is immaculately put together. To be perfectly clear, this is not a bad movie. If you look at it simply as something to kill an afternoon while you knock back a few beers (or dare I say, cosmopolitans) then by all means go for it. You're in for an entertaining afternoon. Perhaps the mistake I made was omitting the alcohol. Just be aware that if you go in hoping for something with the wit and depth of the TV series, you are going to be disappointed.

Oh, and I personally found the ending a little trite.

Not that I'm giving away any spoilers!

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW FOR A BLOKE, 14 Mar. 2012
Firstly, I did not want to watch this film, my GF forced me into it, but I'm sooo glad she did. Gents, don't reach for the unhelpful button, I'm going somewhere with this I promise.

You see fellas; there is a technique to this. Buy this for your other half (counter intuitive it may seem, trust me you will not regret this). Instantly she will love you (particularly effective if purchased as an apologetic gesture). When the time to watch comes, get some snacks (popcorn recommended obviously) and sit down with your other half.

This is where you play your ace card. Wait until you are about 5 minutes into the film, get up and tell your other half you need the loo (as I did). At this point, make a hasty exit to the bedroom. Now, its time for some Xbox/PS3 or whatever you want to do for two and a half hours, the beauty in this is that at no point during the time period which the film runs will your other half know you even exist. Seriously, I got a few grand prix's done on f1 2011 and still had time left over to write this review. Gents, this film will be a hit with your missus so get it bought and enjoy your 2 and a half hours of uninterrupted bliss.

Rating: 100% (you can't put a price on peaceful time to yourself.)
Genre: Who cares... It does the job!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars don't let the critics scare you off, 14 Jan. 2009
I gave this film a wide berth for ages because i'd read the sniffy reviews and read fans of the TV series on here saying it was a disappointment. Well, it just goes to show that you need to make your own mind up because this was considerably better than I was expecting. I admit the first 15 minutes had me thinking 'Oh no, the critics were right'. But the film soon settled into the familiar feel of the TV episodes. Some have criticised the film for being an extended episode of the original show...well, that's fine by me. There is too much girly hysteria in places and the product placement is shameless (note to producers: take flogging coffee shop chains and mobile phones this far and you lose all your credibility). But by the end you're as emotionally involved as in the best of the TV plots, making the film no disgrace to the original series at all. One last word: why does the DVD packaging have to be so screamingly pink? It's an insult to the audience's intelligence. We are not 8 year old Barbie doll collectors!

Sex & The City: The Movie
Sex & The City: The Movie by Michael Patrick King (DVD)
Out of stock