5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of an iAccessory Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment again
Published on 24 Aug 2012 by amelia

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of an iAccessory Addict, 30 Dec 2011
David Ashlock - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Trent (1PC) Limir Dual Purpose Stylus/Styli for Capacitive Touch Screen Smartphones and Tablets. 2-in-1: Stylus (Micro-Knit Tip) and Fine Ball Pen (Electronics)
Being a heavy iUser, I am constantly on the lookout for new and better products. One area that I have been particularly disappointed in overall is that of the stylus. I have read on blogs that Apple doesn't really believe in the concept of a stylus as its built to work with your fingers and that's why they have never built or designed one. OK, I get that you don't need a stylus to work on an iPad or iPhone, but it can make keeping your product clean from both smudges and germs. I mainly owned two brands of styluses until this point and have investigated (though ultimately not purchased) the iPen and the Adonis. Without going into the shortcomings of any of these, I still am looking for the "right" one.

I'm pleased to note that I have taken a big step towards that goal with a recent purchase of a New Trent IMP62B stylus. I am convinced that if Apple were to design a stylus, this would have been it. Here's my feedback:

I believe a lot in first impressions, but was wrong with this product. Upon opening the package, I immediately chuckled at the fact this stylus is short! I normally buy the Kensington and Rocketfish styluses (styli?) with the pens built-in for the added length which seems to fit better in my hand. The description of the IMP62B assured me that this had a pen built-in as well, so my (wrong) assumption was that it would be of a length comparable to the other models, but not so as it is about 1" shorter. My first impression was not necessarily a positive one but I decided to forge away and put it to a test immediately.

I grabbed my wife's iPad off of the couch and started to play a game. What a difference! Now this stylus has my full attention - the end is made of something called micro-knit, which (if I recall correctly) is the same base material as paintbrushes and I sure can tell the similarities in the feel. I immediately ditched the game and opened up Notability to test handwriting. This stylus literally glides over the surface of the screen with no drag! I was able to sign my name as clearly as I could with a pen or pencil on real paper. Just to make certain that I was comparing apples-to-apples, I pulled out a rubber-ended stylus that I carry with me and tried the same thing. The result from the added drag from the rubber tip was a half-legible signature at best. I began to smile as this is the first stylus that I have actually enjoyed using for any purpose other than keeping my screen clean -- it even beats using your finger! My only caveat is that this stylus is short and doesn't fit as comfortably in my grip as longer styluses. New Trent, if you make this about an inch longer, I would have nothing to complain about at all! The length, however, won't stop me from using it and being a bit shorter also does make it a tad easier to carry with you, so I could see a use for both longer and shorter ones.

Pros:
- the micro-knit end is fantastic as it doesn't produce a noticeable drag when moving across the screen and provides a "true-to-life" writing feel -- it also feels more responsive when touching the screen, similar to your finger
- built-in pen writes well
- pen is exposed through a twist, not a cap (a bonus as other cap-based models always leave me wondering what to do with the cap)
- clip is solidly built and looks nice
- stylus overall is very attractive
- feels well built and sturdy

Cons:
- stylus is too short both for use as a stylus and a pen for people with larger hands
- grip material feels like plastic with some grooves - doesn't really provide grip if you fingers are sweaty - also doesn't provide a grip for the pen side (very minor con as no other stylus that I've used even has a grip built-in)

Suggestions for Improvement:
- consider making another model of the same stylus that is about an inch longer - still should be compact enough to easily carry but a better fit in most people's grips
- replace the current material on the grip with rubber
- consider making grips at both ends (out of rubber) to provide support for both stylus and pen

I highly recommend this stylus to everyone! I'm not sure about the durability of the micro-knit and also the pen itself as I've only had this stylus for about 10 days, but everyone in my family fights to get to use this stylus, so it has been used a lot during that time and isn't showing any wear right now. I'm going to have to make an investment and buy more of these, but I am really hoping that a longer model will be coming shortly so that I can put my money towards that one.

Overall, I am pleasantly impressed with the IMP62B - well done! That other stylus that I carry with me now sits idly by on my desk as the New Trent stylus goes with me everywhere (at least when my family doesn't take it from me!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stylus, 9 July 2012
I got this as a replacement for a cheaper rubber tipped stylus. The stylus tip on the new trent is a massive improvement. It glides across my ipad screen with hardly any drag whatsoever.It's nice and accurate and works well for handwriting and sketching. I've docked it a star for two reasons:

1. Its short, about 20cm's which is fine if you have small hands, my wife and son have no problems. I have hands like shovels so an extra few centimetres would make it more comfortable.

2. It feels a bit springy in the middle where the twist mechanism for the ballpoint is when I'm writing.

These are both minor niggles so all things considered I would still recommend this stylus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best one on the market!, 22 Sep 2013
New Trent - IMP62B

I have been considering purchasing a Stylus for several months, after a lot of comparing products online I decided to go for the IMP62B. I ordered it via Amazon, it was delivered a few days later.

Purchased to use on the following devices;

IPAD
PDA

First impressions of the Stylus were as follows;

Solid
Sturdy
Attractive

I purchased the Stylus mainly to use on my IPad as well as my Work PDA. I put it to use immediately on the IPAD and found it to be wonderful! It felt a lot better than the one I currently use. My favorite part of the Stylus was the tip… It was made out of material rather than the one I am used to which was made of rubber. It was confortable to hold in the hand as well as to use to write / operate on the screen.

Pro’s

Not too big
Has a clip to connect onto your shirts / devices
Grooves on the lower part of the Stylus that enable better writing
The tip of the stylus works well with cleaning fingerprints and marks off the screen.
Reasonable price
And most of all has a Pen that is re-fillable!

Con’s
Yet to find any! Love it!

Overall I am extremely happy with the Stylus, I have gone to the extent of throwing out my current Stylus and replacing it with my New Trent IMP62B.

Go get it people… You wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 18 Dec 2012
Absolutely fantastic stylus. Works well with my Nexus 7 and I-Pad. Cheaper options are available, but this is far better quality. Why? The tip writes smoother, it is slightly heavier and the occasional use twist pen makes it versatile too. Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice pen, let alone stylus :-), 18 Aug 2012
M. Newsome - See all my reviews
I had a similar stylus to this one prior to getting one of these New Trent version. The last one I had did not have an integrated pen, so I've really appreciated the fact that I can clip this on my trouser pocket and will always have a pen *and* a stylus - exactly what I was looking for. I tended to find with the last (non-New Trent) one that I could kind of hold it in my (zip-close) iPad case, but it would slightly abrade the side of my last iPad (the original one) and would generally be a pain to bring around with me. Now I've switched to an Apple Smart Case there's nowhere to store my old stylus.

With the New Trent stylus/pen combo I'm finding there's ample justification for me to carry the stylus in my pocket all the time - I like to have a pen with me generally. I'm the guy who finds that he's on a plane at take-off, has the newspaper and the crossword, but no pen. With this neat little combo device I'll never be in that situation again.

Physically the stylus is pretty small - but a nice size small. Maybe two thirds the length of a typical biro. By turning the barrel one way you retract a simple ballpoint pen neatly from the handle end of the stylus. Perfectly good in my use so far for writing without excess smudging. The barrel itself is metal with a really strong, tight metal clip to keep it in your shirt pocket, trouser, etc. That's really appreciated as it would easily fall out otherwise.

The stylus itself works as well as my last one - no chance of scratching or any issues like that, it's a simple fabric-feeling ball tip about the size of the end of your finger. In my use so far on iPads and iPhones I've seen no issues at all and it actually takes less pressure to use than my last one.

All in all a big hit. And at £7 shipped, well, you can't go wrong really (unless you step into an Apple Store to try to buy something similar - expect to pay double for a lesser product).

Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment again, 24 Aug 2012
I have been disappointed with the usual rubber tipped stylus that seem to disintegrate quickly, so was quite excited (sad I know!) to try this knitted mesh type. Unfortunately after only 3 weeks the pen has broken (after one use). Something has come adrift inside so I'm left with a horrible rattling stylus and a pen that doesn't pop up when I wind the middle. This has altered the balance of the stylus in the hand so it no longer feels comfortable.

Apart from that it seemed to be functional, although sometimes squeaks on the screen - usually at night when trying to be quiet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Stylus!, 17 July 2012
I bought this stylus to draw and write notes on my new ipad 3. It is small and does the job brilliantly with very little surface friction. It also works great on my iphone which has a protective screen.
My only negative comment is that the pocket clip is a little flimsy, but with the added bonus of having a pen as well as a stylus, you cant go wrong here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the bee's knees of styli, 18 Sep 2012
Amazon Addict (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this stylus to rise to a challenge posted on my review of the 2 x Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for iPad 1, 2 & 3, iPhone 4, HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Mobile Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pen w... stylus, which I have been very pleased with used with my Blackberry Playbook. I have given the Trent Limir a really fair trial of a few months.

Whilst the feature trumpeted by the challenger -low friction tip- certainly exists, it is not in fact all that useful. I find it creates a lack of accuracy on small target areas on the tablet screen, and slips off them too easily unless the stylus is at least almost perpendicular to the screen. A certain amount of force is needed for the screen to detect the capacitance change, and this causes the hi-tech tip of the Trent to slip quite often, when the humble rubber tip of the cheap cousin does not slip. Dragging the rubber tip across the screen is really not a problem -there is a nice positivity to the action, lacking in the Trent, which is just too slippery for my taste.

The combined biro sounds like a neat idea, but has been of absolutely no use at all. I am usually nowhere near paper when I use my Playbook. If this stylus was used for office applications on a tablet I guess the pen might be useful -but not for me. After a couple of months the rotating barrel worked a bit loose, causing the biro tip to be inadvertantly exposed a lot of the time, so I have to be careful I am not accidentally marking my clothes, my lips (resting the stylus there when deep in thought last week I inadvertently marked my face and never realised it for a while! Twit!) or even (horror of horrors!) the tablet screen. This, fortunately, has not happened yet.

It is entirely possible that the stylus performs differently on other tablets, so if that is the case, please qualify my review with a post about your experience.

Whilst this stylus looks like the bee's knees, it is not for me or my Playbook.

AA

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter crap, 5 Aug 2013
I bought this stylus to use with my iPad mini. I have to say, I'm thoroughly disappointed. This is probably the worst stylus I've had yet.

The tip is ridiculously unresponsive. I have a protective film on my iPad and apparently this stylus really struggles with it. About every other stroke does not register, which makes writing, drawing and basically doing anything with this stylus insanely difficult. Also, the tip is soft, squishy and round with no clear point of contact with the screen, which would make any precision work outright impossible, if it weren't already.

I also bought a cheap 1€ touch pen from China to use as an alternate, and the funny thing is that the 1€ pen blows this New Trent piece of garbage right out of the water.

Save your money, do not buy this stylus.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can write again, 26 Dec 2012
I. A. Gray "thefrozenpenguin" (Aberdeenshire) - See all my reviews
This stylus was a replacement for a free one, the free one has the rubber nib and stuck on the screen occasionally.it was to light and didn't feel right in your hand. I had started using my tablet to take notes at work in meetings and the Trent was a good weight in my hand felt like a pen and slid across the nexus 7 screen very smoothly, the added bonus of having a ballpoint at the other end if I needed to actually write something too is a wonderful touch. My only niggle is Amazon UK don't stick the refills. On the whole a great purchase of fantastic quality.