Format: DVD|Change

on 8 February 2010
I became an avid fan of Quantum Leap when it was first aired on TV. Having bought the box set for myself for Christmas I am now introducing it to my teenage children as we work our way through many hours of excellent family viewing.

The idea of a scientist who leaps from one body to another during different periods in his lifetime enables the makers of the series to show off a wide variety of genres from the 1950s to the 1970s - with classic clothing, cars and scenery to match. It tackles sometimes challenging issues - Southern States segregation, prejudice against the Japanese, the horror of Vietnam, blindness, women establishing themselves in the workplace, gang violence - as well having fun with topics like the birth of Rock and Roll, a college fraternity house and 70s disco.

Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) is a rather untypical "action hero", as a scientist with lots of hidden talents who is also very handy in a fight and contrasts with his buddy Al (Dean Stockwell), who materialises in holographic form to advise Sam on what to do, partly based on information from a temperamental computer (Ziggy), but also relying on Al's vast experience of life, including life in an orphanage, being captured in Vietnam and more marriages than he can remember. Together they make a great team. Sam often gets to kiss some beautiful women, while Al's tangled love life sometimes distracts him from being there when Sam needs him most. The episodes where Sam leaps into a woman's body are some of the most entertaining as Scott Bakula in drag is anything other than feminine.

The characters are great, the cast is well selected and the acting excellent. So far, apart from one "horror" episode (where the devil appears as Al which was rather disturbing) they follow a pattern of:
(a) Sam arrives somewhere new and has to get to grips with who he is, where he is, and what he is here to do
(b) Sam is faced with one or more challenges to overcome - sometimes not always the ones you might expect - and often a particular individual he has to stand up to
(c) Sam's extensive experience as multi talented scientist with a historical perspective and ju-jitsu skills enable him to overcome the challenge - usually with thrills and spills along the way
(d) Against the odds, he changes someone's life for the better and their future is transformed
(e) Just when he is kissing the girl, he leaps onto his next challenge.

These programmes have a real "feel good" factor and it's nice to find a series that I can watch with my wife and children which all of us can enjoy, while getting an insight into late 20th century America.

The only thing that surprises me is that I've never seen any repeats of the series before, either on good old fashioned analogue TV or on Freeview. It definitely deserves a wider audience.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2009
It was a long time since I had seen all the episodes of this great series, I had seen some episodes on digital tv channels and it brought back some happy memories. The acting by both stars is top notch and the stories told are simply amazing, I could not fault any of the stories.It makes one think if this could really happen one day. Time travel has always been a fasination and this boxed set of all the episodes in so engrossing, well acted and directed. I recommend this set 100% for all time travel fans.
on 31 December 2009
I remember watching this show when I was a child. Back then there were only two channels on television, so there was little choice. My brothers and I used to watch this everyday and seeing it again brought back fun memories!!
It wasn't as good as I remembered it but nonetheless a great show!
on 3 October 2009
I only saw one or two of these episodes on TV when it first came out and when I watched the whole series on DVD I was astonished at how good it was, how versatile Scott Bakula is, and don't know how I could give up on it before.

I particularly enjoyed the "musical" episodes and also the funny ones where he acted as a woman, (without looking feminine in any way). There were a couple of really silly ones, The Right Stuff and Eight and a Half months, also I thought the Evil Leaper a bit daft, but the longer episodes - Trilogy and the first "test pilot" episode were excellent. Although Scott Bakula looks nothing like Lee Harvey Oswald his portrayal in that episode was so unsettlingly good, I almost believed he was LHO by the end. I'm sorry I've seen all 95 episodes now and enjoyed them so much I'm going to start at the beginning and watch them again.
on 3 August 2010
This version of the series contains all the original music. Its an amazing show and with this, you will be able to re-watch or watch for the first time like it was meant to be. fantastic.
on 2 December 2008
just received the quantum leap boxset on dec 2 2008 - because of the reviews about a faulty last episode I went straight to it and it plays fine - they seem to have sorted the problem
Quantum Leap is a great series, and when i seen the first episode me and my brother were hooked within minutes.
I just loved when Sam (Scott Bakula) jumped, sorry leaped from human to human at the end of each episode, it could of been a women or man and at first he didn't have a clue why he was sent there, but with the help from his hologram partner Al (Dean Stockwell) plus the hand held device called Ziggy, they would work as a team to help solve problems or save lives so he can leap to his next assignment . This is a great series, which has a cult following, I can see why.
on 1 July 2012
If you are in two minds about ordering this box set then DO SO NOW! I remembered the series with great affection, but am amazed how well it has stood the test of time. In many ways being older now makes me appreciate the situations Sam Becket (played brilliantly by Scott Bakula) finds himself in more than I did way back when... If you liked the series on first transmission do yourself a favour and give yourself a REAL treat... Buy this NOW!

PS: Don't look too hard for "Extras" as there are next to none....
on 26 November 2015
Quantum Leap has always been my favourite television show and Amazon has always been my preferred supplier of books and DVDs, until now.

I have no qualms with the DVDs themselves, but a new item coming through the mail with broken pieces, even when well packed, is simply not good enough. The first case was smashed internally and has had to be replaced at my cost. Plus, what we thought we were going to get actually was not what we received. That was our mistake and our kick in the butt.

I love the show, which is why 4 stars, but the loss of the 5th star is down to Amazon putting two images up; one of this, which is still fabulous, but also another with a series of disc cases that make up a picture of Sam and Al. I assumed I was getting that one, with my wife clicking on so many images of this set.

Ah well, Season 1 has been watched and replaced [the case] so now on to Season 2.

Cannot stay long on here; Sam has turned into Samantha!
on 23 September 2010
Bought it as a present for one very happy recipient! :) (spent 5 years searching for a complete box set)
Great series, all the episodes, hours of entertainment. An ABSOLUTE MUST for any fan of the series.