on 1 March 2012
When this item arrived the first thing I noticed was how small it was.It looks deceptively bigger in the photo.Not only was it small it had very low power output.It only had 8 watt speakers and the actual unit was only 20 watt.

After getting it set up I played a tape for about 20 mins when I started hearing a crackling sound,then one of the speakers went dead.I gave the unit a slight tap and the sound came back on.For £130 I do not expect to have to tap things to get it working again like an old lawn mower engine.

After this I put a CD in the player and there was no sound.I took the CD out put it back in again and it finally played.Again..far too suspect for £130.The tape player has no stop button so you just have to eject the tape mid play which I dont think is so good and some of my tapes are rare demo tapes.Also it has no re-wind button so if you want to play the tape from the beginning you have to turn it over and fast forward back to the beginning of the other side.I also think some of the plastic used for the construction looks cheap and easily breakable.

Its a real shame because its hard to find a modern HI FI unit that can play 3 formats and if it was not for the defects I would probably keep it,and to be fair even though it only has 8 watt speakers it has very good sound.I really wanted to be able to play my tapes and vinyls.But for £130 I expect for everything to work and a bit more than a 20 watt ouput unit.If you look on Amazon Phillips are selling a HI FI for about £90 (about £40 cheaper) with 40 watt power,plays tapes and CD and is much louder..im going for that.I will attach a Turntable to it manualy.

I have been shopping on Amazon for about 3 years and this is the first time I have had to return something.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2011
This product is fantastic - the sound quality is great, using all of the different functions is easy and everything works really well - the ability to listen to music in any format in such a compact system is genius! Great value for money! I listen everyday and am never disappointed!
on 2 February 2012
I think this player is very good, so versatile, reasonable sound quality plenty loud enough for our room 15x10. When setting it up I thought maybe the digital signal was bad in my area but I then changed to the next station and it searched and tuned into quite a lot. I played some LP's and recorded them to an SD card it work's, of coarse you still get the crackles and hiss though.
I have had this since April and use it everyday mainly for CD playing and record playing. The 5 functions available are all very good and the compact size allows the unit and speakers to be sited in a relatively small area and still the sound achieved is excellent. I am very pleased with the overall sound quality and pre sets available. It is also good to have the modern additions to the unit. The remote control works well and is very compact too. price wise the unit is well worth the asking price.
66 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2012
This is a terrific unit. It does everything you can ask of a music centre and more eg. record direct to disc.

There is one major drawback with the unit - if you are in a poor reception area, you cannot fit a loft / roof aerial to it! There is no connection on the back to accept an aerial connector. Which, in my opinion, is a pity.
on 21 January 2012
This was just what I expected. Easy to set up and with a very clear instruction booklet. The sound was definitely improved by the addition of the Steepletone Sub Woofer Speaker T008. Buy this if you want a record player, tape player, cd player and digital radio all in one place. For the price I paid I am extremely happy.
on 9 March 2012
So far, so good. We've 'tested' most of the functions and they all work fine. We tried an earlier model some years ago and had to return 2 of them. (On one, the record speed wasn't constant and on the other, the tape deck was v noisy.) Third time lucky! The quality of the sound is good (good enough for 'general' listening in the lounge), the functions are easy to use and the record deck is fine. This model has the added bonus of a cueing arm (thank you Steepletone) for the LPs, so no more fears of banging the stylus down and slipping on the vinyl.
For the price, you can't beat this product.
In fact, I've yet to find any product advertised that would beat it.
on 9 January 2012
This product was returned because the CD player would not recognise any CDs & the radio would not receive any stations. Didn't bother checking the other functions - I wasn't going to risk getting a cassette mangled & stuck in the machine.

Also had to argue with the supplier (NOT Amazon) to get them to pay the return postage as I didnt want a replacement but a refund, I needed to speak to three people before finding someone who agreed that I should not be liable for the cost of returning a faulty product for a full refund.
on 29 May 2013
The radio store system is far more complex than any other I have encountered, however that said, Once you are used to the way that they have worked it, there is no problem at all.

The record player is as good as any I have seen or heard, Far better than a Teac I was offered which was more than double the price!
I have, as yet, not tried the cassette player but it looks like it's all been well constructed.

If you were to be fussy about the audio, then you could simply get an amp, but IMHO that's just being picky.
on 28 December 2012
This unit does everything it says on the tin, and more. Whatever your preferred medium, you can get it on here - CD, Tape, Vinyl, Radio - even MP3 and SD cards are supported. While I've yet to use said function, the ability to record vinyl to MP3 format is a great bonus to people like me who collect Vinyl but who don't want to have to buy a CD on the side just to be able to listen on the go.

One criticism - the speakers that come with the unit have very little bass. It's most pronounced when listening to analogue formats - vinyl and tape records sound quite tinny. However, there is a jack for a subwoofer on the back, and other reviews suggest this improves the audio quality significantly when used.

Even so, for the price this is great value. It literally does everything you could ask of a music system - and more - I had no idea there was a 78rpm function and have been having a dust-off of my grandparents records, which haven't seen the light of day for 30+ years!

Get the system, pick up a bass speaker with an AUX jack and you've surely got a music system for life here.