5.0 out of 5 stars I loved every minute of this concert
I am of middling (middle?) age and to be honest the boy band thing just passed me by when Take That first hit the scene in the 1990s.

Published on 3 Dec 2011 by D. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Great until the idiot turned up.
I am not a staunch Take that fan, so I see things for what they are, I think they are superb, polished and decent, a concert you can take your kids to ....... well, you could until you know who came back, why they gave him his own mini concert goodness only knows, he was like a drunk at a wedding, embarrasing, trying too hard to be something he no longer is...
Published on 8 Jan 2012 by Johno

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved every minute of this concert, 3 Dec 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

What sparked my interest in this group was the fabulous Progress album with its apocalyptic resonances. When they announced their recent tour I tried to get tickets but they sold out almost immediately so I missed seeing this concert live. So I decided to go for the next best thing - a blu ray version of the concert.

I wanted to see the concert in realistic detail and I am lucky enough to have the access to a dedicated home cinema with professional level kit both in audio and cinematic detail - the blu ray high def just shone through. But to be honest the blu ray would be just as good with a normal telly and a decent sound system, as it is not the technical detail that matters but the quality of the show itself.

This is a professional, well rehearsed show, and it is glorious.

It starts with a fairly normal (as normal as a Manchester stadium can be) mix of their songs. Then the theatrics begin, with a surreal Alice in Wonderland scene. But gradually the sky darkens over the stadium and it becomes more intimate. Robbie belts out some of his anthem songs with as much energy as he can muster. The audience love it.

Those are the standard bits, then an astounding vertical ballet takes place with a fifty foot wall. This is special I think. No gimmicks other than the practicalities of trying to dance thirty foot in the air. As the songs progress the dancers have even more physical challenges which I won't spoil by describing here.

The band follow through with their best songs from the Progress album. In parallel to that there appears yet another amazing theatrical event that I will not spoil by describing.

It must have cost tens of thousands to make this thing and so it makes you appreciate that the group really cares about their audience - they are the entertainers!

Roll on their next tour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Show Superbly Filmed, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
The Progress Live Tour broke records in the UK from the moment the tickets went on sale, not least because it promised to combine the ever-growing popularity of the live shows of Take That with the unique and powerful performances for which Robbie Williams had become famous during his solo career. Some fans have strong opinions on this topic, but their reunion as a five piece evidently made the band extremely happy and this joy and sheer boyish delight in each other's company is what shines through to make this my favourite of the Take That Concert DVDs so far. It's a patchwork show combining sections of 'TT4', Robbie solo and the reunited TT5 and whilst it lacks the slick run-through theme that gave 'The Circus' such a particular impact, it is a show that wears it's heart on it's sleeve, filling songs old and new with genuine and moving emotion alongside - as always - impressive staging and spectacle.

The show is also far better filmed than 'The Circus', overcoming issues around filming in stadiums and giving breathtaking 360 degree shots of the crowd and the epic set-pieces. A 'Making Of' disc included is a decent bonus feature, with interviews with the band and some extra gems of footage, and whilst some of the footage will be familiar to those who bought the Progress Live phone app, it does include new footage (and indeed the app had footage not seen here).

A glorious and moving show, captured well on DVD to enable the joy of repeated rewinding and rewatching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 22 Nov 2011
This is a great DVD that brings back memories of one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to. A must have for any fan and a great show for anyone.

Enjoy it:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars superb dvd, 19 Nov 2011
received the dvd today as was pre ordered and its fantastic. went to the concert and they havent missed a thing with this. a must buy 10/10. well done lads this is the best concert yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars :-), 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
What can I say. If u love take that then you're going to love this. Got this 4 my sister, she has all their dvds. They're brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars A great show!!!, 7 Feb 2012
Although it's not the best show of TT, this concert it's good for many reasons: The music, the costumes, the dancers, etc. I gave it 4 stars because I disagree with the fact that Robbie sings 5 of his songs. It's too much Robbie. I think 2 or 3 songs would have been enough. The best show of TT it's the Circus Live. By the way, the quality of music and image it's good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Take That DVD, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
It is ok but not as good as the Circus live DVD and there is some swearing in it from Robbie which I think they could have edited out, if the kids are around you can't really have it on as I have a 7 yr old and I don't want her listening to bad language!! If you're a true fan you will still enjoy it..

2.0 out of 5 stars Great until the idiot turned up., 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)

What a shame, the other guys are absolutely brilliant without him, I think the circus tour was superb, very well thought out, and absorbing, I hope they do the right thing for the next tour, and get rid. It is plainly obvious why his solo career went down the pan.

I am sorry, but I think this concert lost it's way as soon as he flounced onto the stage, one of the things I liked about this band, was that you didnt need to worry about what was coming next, it was great clean fun, now we wait for the next coarse remark and expletive to come from his foul mouth, a fantastic band ruined by a muppet.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!, 19 Nov 2011
This dvd is brilliant the only down side was the swearing from robbie williams!! My 2 daughters love take that and so do i, but i had to fast forward the part with robbie in due to the swear words!! That is the only bad thing for me, otherwise a cracking dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Nov 2011
Blu ray arrived today. Having been to see the concert in Hampden, could not wait to see the Progress concert in blu ray. It is a wonderful blu ray. It has really captured the atmosphere of a Take That concert as you can feel the excitement jumping out of the screen. The sound and pictures are first class and well worth buying the blu ray version of the concert.

I re lived the concert again watching this blu ray and will watch it over and over. Love, love it.

Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC]
Progress Live [DVD] [NTSC] by Take That (DVD - 2011)