5.0 out of 5 stars As Good if not better than Ian Rankin

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hanging Shed
Published on 26 Jan 2011 by Moonlit

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good if not better than Ian Rankin, 2 Jan 2011
L. A. Manning "weatherwithu" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on my Kindle, and loved the fact that it was set in Scotland. Loved the way it was written, with the descriptions of Glasgow pubs, fish suppers and the harshness of living in the Gorbals. I really enjoyed the way that there were a couple of subplots and a few wrong turns. I found it difficult to put this book down, though towards the end I felt it was a bit of a mish-mash and I was a little bit disappointed with the ending - however if Brodie is going to become a regular character in Gordon Ferris books, then as I say as good as if not better than Ian Rankin! Another Brodie book soon please!

I'm just disappointed now that I can't get his other books for my Kindle, so please put the others onto Kindle so I can read them!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hanging Shed, 26 Jan 2011
Moonlit (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Like many other reviewers I received a Kindle for Christmas and took advantage of Amazon's Twelve Days of Christmas offer where they made a number of books available for £1. The Hanging Shed is a bit of a mixed read. I loved the descriptions of post war Glasgow and although too young to remember Glasgow at that time, I felt that there was an authenticity to the descriptions although at times (not many) there was a tad too much detail which made the descriptions seemed a bit forced. But that's just a minor niggle. Much more significant is how the plot develops. It started off so well with the protagonist, Brodie (a great name for the character) getting a phone call from an old friend. This poor man has not only been horribly injured during the war but has been framed for the murder and rape of his ex girlfriend's son and is awaiting his sentence of being hanged to death. Brodie reluctantly agrees to try to help and so returns to Scotland. There he hooks up with his friend's lawyer, an older but attractive woman and tries to find out what really happens. For about two thirds, the book is really gripping but then it just loses it and becomes unrealistic in the way of so many thrillers with people getting out of implausibly difficult situations unscathed. It would have been so much better if it had concentrated on proving the innocence of the accused as it was in this part of the book that there was the least action but most tension.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, well written., 15 Feb 2011
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I like a lot of others had a Kindle for Christmas and thought I'd add some books to read. I took advantage of this book at [] and to be honest it is worth more.
It is well written and a great story line. I gelled with the characters and visualised them and their surroundings.
It's one of those "did he, didn't he" books.
Buy it, especially while it's on offer, you wont regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mistake upon cliche upon nonsense, 3 Jan 2012
Dr. David Griffiths (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I cannot agree with those reviewers who compare Gordon Ferris to Ian Rankin. Ian Rankin writes intelligent plots in fine prose and gets his facts correct. On the evidence of this book Gordon Ferris does none of these.

The plot of The Hanging Shed is far-fetched to the point of laughability, particularly the various shooting incidents which would be more at home in a cowboy western than a story set in 1940s U.K. The characters appear to have come from The Lazy Author's Big Book of Cliches and Stereotypes - razor gangs, paedophile priest, corrupt policemen, IRA thugs, prim spinster lawyer with (of course) a latent enthusiasm for sex and so on.

Apart from the daft story the book is absolutely riddled with factual errors, both historical and legal. Hugh Donovan could not have "died in his bomber in the flames of Dresden" in 1943 since Dresden didn't suffer any significant bombing until it was razed to the ground in February 1945. Perhaps the author really meant Hamburg but couldn't be bothered to check. Early in the book the author claims Clydebank was bombed in March 1940 and Brodie believed he might have heard the aircraft going over while serving with the pre-Dunkirk BEF in France. Wrong on both counts. Clydebank was bombed in March 1941, long after the BEF left France, and most of the aircraft involved in the raid came from Holland and North Germany and went nowhere near France. Bizarrely, the correct date for the Clydebank raid is given later in the book which says as much about the standard of editing as it does about the writing.

Having spent a professional lifetime in the Scottish criminal justice system and having taught Scottish criminal court procedure at university level I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as the author dropped clanger after clanger. It's obvious he's never spoken to anybody in the legal profession north of the Border let alone engaged in any serious research. A capital murder would never have been prosecuted by the Procurator Fiscal who wouldn't have had the right to appear in the High Court. (The prosecutor would probably have been the Lord Advocate or the Solicitor General). The office of Coroner has never existed in Scotland where most of the functions of the English coroner are discharged by the Procurator Fiscal and inquests are unknown. Probably the biggest howler of all, however, is "Lord Chief Justice" Craig Allerdyce. There is not, and never has been, a Lord Chief Justice in Scotland. The title is purely English and its holder has no jurisdiction north of the border. Finally the title "Judge" (as in "Judge Thompson") is rarely used in Scotland and is, once again, an English style. For a Scotsman to write in such sloppy, ill-informed, anglicised terms about his own country's unique legal system is simply unforgivable.

The book has so many faults it's scarcely worth mentioning that in a further insult to his reader's intelligence the author can't even be bothered to use the correct spelling of BYRES Road, one of Glasgow's best known streets.

Anyone who wants intelligent, well-written Scottish crime fiction should stick to reliable authors like (yes) Ian Rankin, Quintin Jardine or, best of all, Wiliam McIlvanney's Laidlaw series. If you want a laugh with your crime go for Christopher Brookmyre who at least means to be funny. Unworthy rubbish like The Hanging Shed doesn't deserve the reader's time or effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrill right to the end, 30 Dec 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, reading it in just two sittings. I loved the strong believable characters, and the backdrop of the end of WWII. The author has a great sense of pacing and dramatically conveyed an engrossing and compelling narrative. Great stuff, and a great value read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumping good read, 30 Dec 2010
Lou (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
The first book I read on my Kindle and although I found it a little slow at first (although this may be to do with my first Kindle experience), it soon gripped me and I was completely engrossed in the story. Thoroughly enjoyable, difficult to predict the storyline and hard to put down! Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Kindling, 3 Jan 2011
I'm another one who bought this as a first cheap book for my new Kindle.
It is a really good read, and, for me, I would have enjoyed it even more if the author had risked keeping the slower pace of the first half throughout. Gordon Ferris has a comfortable style of writing that makes for a relaxing read - even when the material gets a bit "gritty"
I would certainly recommend it (even when the price goes back up!)

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 30 Dec 2010
I agree with the first two reviews. I could not put it down and ended up reading the book in one day. I actually liked the first part of the book that was described as being a bit slow by one of the previous reviewers - I live in Ayrshire and although I was brought up in a different era, I could see my own grandmother in to the character of Douglas Brodies mum.

The story line is fast paced and beautifully written. I could not wait to find out what happened next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read and only a £1.00, 18 Feb 2011
Roger Cave - See all my reviews
This is my first review for a Kindle book, even though I have read a quite a few. So why write the review for this one? The simple answer to that is that it's excllent!

The story is nicely set, in Glasgow and surrounding areas in 1946, and the author gradually pulls you into the era in a charming fashion. I won't go into what the plot involves, as the synopsis covers it accurately. The characters are nicely drawn, with good, "good guys" and sinister "bad guys," as weel as everything in between.

It truely is a great read and an absolute bargain at a £1.00. If you want a decent crime thriller, with a smattering of action, then look no futher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hanging around, 31 Jan 2011
This book will not be hanging around once you start reading it !
Once you get to grips with the dialect of the Gorbals it is a gritty 40s fast paced thriller.
Brutal murder and rape of a young boy,razor gangs on the streets of the Gorbals and some wonderful descriptions of the green hills of western Scotland where the action continues, make this a great read.
Have also purchased Truth Dare Kill and The Unquiet Heart can't wait to start reading them.