5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home automation
Published 4 months ago by Kristian Heath

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor
If you wanted to use this to turn on the lights during the evening then get ready for a complete product feature fail.

Quote from the manual:

LUX. SETTING SWITCH:

In position ‘L’ the PIR will become active when daylight levels fall under 10 +/-5 lux. (about late evening levels)

Try "PIR will become active anytime...
Published 9 months ago by james shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 21 Mar 2014

Quote from the manual:

LUX. SETTING SWITCH:

Try "PIR will become active anytime regardless of light levels" - only got it to work if i shined a torch into the PIR.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected - for a while, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: LightwaveRF PIR Motion Detector (wire-free - battery operated) White (DIY & Tools)
Works with other lightwaverf products to switch lights on etc. so far has worked flawlessly. Great for fully automating lights in the home.

Update 27/01/14 - After 6 months of use, the PIR has developed a fault where it constantly switches on / off. Currently trying to arrange a return for this faulty device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, 29 Dec 2012
The product does not work. It works initially and then switches on and off without being triggered by movement. This is the second unit purchased since Original purchase initially worked for about a year and then went faulty.

Waste of time and money

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable., 6 Mar 2014
As reported by others, it is a simple affordable solution - but not a reliable one: I have one PIR on my stairs that is paired to two lightwaverf sockets, intermittently (at least once a fortnight) either one or the other of the plugs will either not switch on, or not switch off. The other PIR in my kitchen used to send a signal in bright daylight, now it has simply stopped working altogether - only a couple of months old.

FYI I have some other lightwaverf sockets and a light switch paired with a hand held remote, that all work without issue - I think the PIR's are best avoided IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home automation, 17 Aug 2014
I added this to an existing fairly extensive lightwave home automation setup. I use this PIR to detect when we enter our garage so the main lights comes on and then turn the light back off after a few minutes. Definite convenience aid when entering the garage covered in DIY dust/dirt/paint and save marking the walls and switches in trying to fumble to turn the light on,

Takes 2 aaa rechargeable batteries and unlike other electronics, doesn't seem to mind using rechargeable batteries rather than disposable ones.

The contents include double sided tape and screw fixings. So, you can test out your mounting position with the tape first before you make things more permanent with rawl plugs and screws. The contents also include blanking strips in case you want to restrict the horizontal field of detection.

My only grumble with these PIRs is the vertical field of detection seems a little narrow, so you have to factor this into your positioning and installation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank you..., 28 Aug 2013
We added the PIR to the Lightwave Range, we only have a few switches and sockets, but wanted to light up the corridor that the sparky didnt know what to do with.
So my other half was sold on the idea of a PIR...after a bit of messing around ,we got it to trigger when we wanted and I now have a well lit corridor. The instructions were a little
complicated and we did have to refer to the manufactuer, but we got there! for the price we paid it is a decent resolve

1.0 out of 5 stars When they were working the reliability was patchy at best, you could not be sure that the light ..., 13 July 2014
I bought 3 of these a year ago. They have now all failed, one with the repeating on/off fault, the other two just stopped working altogether.

When they were working the reliability was patchy at best, you could not be sure that the light would always come on, even though the transmitter and receiver were only about 3 metres apart.

Lightwaverf is not as expensive as other home automation solutions, but is of very poor quality. I will be moving to Zwave.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 29 April 2013
LightwaveRF has proven to be quite unreliable in my environment - I can never be sure whether the switch has received the on (or off) command.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless, 14 May 2013
If it was possible I would have rated this with ZERO stars. It is absolutely useless.
I have it programmed to only come on in very low light levels, but it switches on in broad daylight. I changed the switch positions in case they had been wrongly marked, but it still turns on in broad daylight.
I have fiddled with the various switches but no combinations will set it to NOT turn on in daylight.

A complete waste of money. I wish I had stayed with the old X10, as at least that worked reliably.