on 8 January 2012
When I ordered this stool I hoped that it would be the quality that was describe and it was ! It arrived very quickly and when I opened the box it was very well made and sturdy.

I have for years been trying to meditate but I first of all can not sit cross legged and second have had numerous knee ops that means that I can't kneel for any length of time. This meditation stool has allowed me to kneel and meditate with no pain in my legs and still be very upright (I had found that I had often fallen asleep in a chair).

I would order again from CalmingBreath
on 2 February 2012
When I first started practicing meditation, I was very much of the impression that I would just sit in the lotus position, but when my legs kept going to sleep whilst meditating, I realised there must be a better solution. The turning point came one evening when I found it hard to transition to walking meditation without stumbling or getting pins and needles, and so I hunted around for a solution, and purchased one of these stools.

I've used my stool every day since I recieved it for meditation/zazen for at least 30 minutes (and twice a day when at Chan group) and it really is excellent. I love the rounded legs which allow me to get just the right position, and it saves both my knees from kneeling and my legs from lotus. I know I really should try and increase my flexibility to sit in lotus or half lotus, but to be honest, I'll just be sticking with this rather excellent stool now.

Another one of my Chan Buddhist group also has one of these stools and loves his too. I was worried I would need a cushion, but if you sit with your sit bones over the back of the stool as designed, then I never get sleepy legs and have comfortably sat for 80-90 minutes without any comfort issues (I'm 189cm tall / 6ft2)

So thank you CalmingBreath - be happy in the knowledge you have a very happy customer who can meditate comfortably here!
on 9 February 2012
I've been meaning to buy a stool for a while as I practise Buddhism and feel most comfortable chanting on the floor.

The folding stool is great - the only minor issue is that I have wooden floors so need to put down a blanket or mat first as it feels more stable this way.

Other than that, I'm a happy customer.
on 22 January 2012
I've never been comfortable during meditation but this stool has turned out to be a perfect way to kneel comfortably without sending my legs to sleep and keeping my back straight without strain. It's sturdy, well made, lightweight, and the legs fold flat so it's easy to store and carry. I'm very happy with it and would recommend it.
on 22 September 2015
I having been meditating using cushions for a number of years. For various reasons, I was ready to try a bench, not least because they are much more stable than cushions (which compress and lose shape even in a single sitting). A bench also ensures the hips are at the correct angle which in turn ensures correct and consistent spinal posture. In fact the posture is very similar to those once-popular posture stools in the 1990's which you "knelt" in. This good spinal posture is essential for prolonged sittings. If you follow the instructions (that come with the bench), you should find it immediately comfortable because it is a very neutral and natural position. As others have said, it puts no great pressure on any parts of the body. If you have sensitive knees or tight insteps, then kneel on a folded blanket with your feet off the edge, then put the bench in position.

I have seen a lot of these benches and this is one of the best examples. It is beautifully made, it has a very smooth surface and seems to be finished in a matt or satin varnish. It is very solidly constructed. It is also much more portable and far less easier to take to retreats e.t.c. than hauling bulky cushions around. I used it today and it was immediately comfortable. In fact I didn't want to get off it. Its that good.

You will not get any better than this. If you are thinking of getting one, do not hesitate. Just do it. You won't regret it. Happy meditation!
on 28 March 2013
I ordered this stool on the basis of previous reviews as like several other purchasers I've had problems with my feet going numb when sitting cross legged. The stool solved that problem straight away, but also improves posture, keeping the back straight but relaxed at the same time, thanks to the clever rocking legs. It's very well made and comfortable, fast delivery and helpful service; highly recommended.
on 17 March 2014
a cute little stool. it was comfortable for me to use but I bought it for my partner who is 6 feet tall. His ankles could not flatten enough to use the stool without it his heels hitting the underside. It was a real shame. He tried many times to make it work but we had to return it because it was too uncomfortable.
on 10 September 2012
I've never got anywhere with the lotus positions, so thought I'd try this, and I'm glad I did.

It has a clever, forward-tilting design which brings you into a naturally comfortable poise, which I'm sure is doing me good all-round as I have a minor rear-pelvic annoyance which benefits from correct posture and alignment.

It takes a few days to fully 'warm' into the position, but the actual feeling of finding a correct poise is very easy, and natural. For longer sessions I sometimes put some cushioning on the seat; a folded towel or whatever, though I note Calming Breath have their own one for sale.

I'm 5"7 and it seems to me logical that those with longer legs will have more ease in finding a 'stack of bricks' relaxed poise and straight back; with short upper legs I sense I lean forward a fraction too much and my 'seat bones' sometimes slip from their position, which is to kind of latch onto the rear edge (instructional document explains this). For this reason, I prefer something to raise my knees at floor position, such as a flat cushion (something solid might work well too). This is not a hindrance at all, it just fine-tunes things for me; makes my upper leg angle just a touch shallower.

I'm not great at meditation, but this stool enables me to try different approaches in small doses; I am particularly enjoying meditating to music while trying breath exercises.

I give 4 stars but it's a 4.5 really - very pleased with my purchase.
on 6 June 2013
Fabulous product. Highly recommended for a very comfortable meditation. Helps to provide perfect posture. Folding legs make for easy carrying and storage.
on 6 March 2015
A perfect meditation stool. Very comfortable to use. easy to maintain good posture on. I recommend this product particularly as I suffer from very bad knee and ankle problems which makes normal lotus positions quite painful, however this little stool allows me to remain just those vital few inches up so that the position is still open and I can fully relax into my meditation. I also find it useful as an ad-hoc laptop table! The stool is very well made and sturdy. The legs have a rounded foot which allows you to rock forward into a slightly angled position which also aids the correct posture to meditate. IU can't really recommend this stool enough!