5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Sherlocked....
Having watched and thoroughly enjoyed the first series, I awaited this second one with eager anticipation. I wasn't to be disappointed....
Published on 20 Jan 2012 by Lady Claire

3.0 out of 5 stars ... series rolls on and the first episode was a delight; Irene Adler as a dominatrix
The Cumberbatch-Freeman series rolls on and the first episode was a delight; Irene Adler as a dominatrix? It certainly worked even though the denouement was silly and medically suspect - and the epilogue was great fun. The Hounds of Baskerville was less enjoyable and the mad scientist storyline failed to live up to what is expected from a major story. But the final...
Published 29 days ago by NB

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Sherlocked...., 20 Jan 2012
Lady Claire (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
It's just an absolute sheer delight from start to finish. As well as having thrills and humour (I do so love Martin Freeman's deadpan comic timing), it was actually incredibly moving at times (refer to Freeman's speech at the end of 'The Reichenbach Fall').

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman appear to have been born to play Holmes & Watson and I really cannot think of anyone better. They lend the right amount of gravitas in their respective roles to make both their characters not only believable but loveable. You really do care what happens to them.

This Sherlock series is in very assured hands with the BBC, Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss at the helm. Their love for the stories etc, shines through with their faithful adaptations. And I, for one, simply cannot wait for the next Sherlock series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy!, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I just love the modern Sherlock, clever, funny and well acted. I think Series 2 might even be better than Series 1.
I can't get over the level of ignorant nit-picking that goes on in some of these reviews, though. A lot of people clearly are not familar with Conan Doyle. Certain things have to happen the way they do because that's how he wrote them, eg the 'shock' ending of the Reichenbach Fall (can't be bothered being hassled about spoilers, hardly consider it a secret/surprise when the story has been in print for more than a century!) I'm watching the stories more to see how things happen than what happens, and it is obvious that Gatiss and Moffat, as the total fans they clearly are, will stick to the spirit of ACD's stories as much as possible. BTW that means that Holmes and Watson will probably never engage in a torrid sexual relationship...They are, however, definitely a couple, just not in the conventional sense.

I think this interpretation is very polarising, either you love it, or it annoys you, in which case, go and watch something else. If you've seen any of the episodes in either series on tv, you know which group you belong to.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all good, I love the actors-especially Benedict and Martin, who are great together, I think the funny bits are funny, and the sad bits are sad and the whole thing is very clever.

I suspect a third series may be a long time coming, but I'm looking forward to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Second Series for Sherlock, 19 Jan 2012
Dickie "The Bear" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
First things first; I have not read Sherlock Holmes, I've heard the name of some of his stories and I even know about the famous conclusion to the short story 'A Final Problem' but generally I approach any Sherlock Holmes based film or tv show ignorant of the source materials. This show does bear some similarities to writer Steven Moffat's other show Doctor Who, both involve a remarkably unique person in stories that can be quite mysterious but also versatile but where they differ however is in consistency. Sherlock may only have 6 episodes to its name but we have 6 quite extraordinary episodes to drool over and the second series is even better than the first.

The concept itself is remarkable and executed rather flawlessly because there does seem to be a perfect balance between old and new, the crisp visuals, high technology and clever editing explaining the 'science of deduction' scenes are accompanied by a score that just seems to evoke Victorian England. The mixture of characters as well not withstanding including the brilliant Mark Gatiss as Mycroft, Una Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson and Rupert Graves as Lestrade. However the show can only be this joyous to watch thanks to the stunning lead combination of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. No doubt critics and fans alike have been raving about the level of success that these two actors have achieved with their performances and I will just add on to say that such acclaim is well and truly deserved.

The much anticipated series 2 I'm delighted to say does not disappoint at all, sadly again only 3 episodes but each episode offers something different because Moffat, Gatiss and Steve Thompson each offer a fresh interpretation of 3 classic Holmes stories. 'A Scandal in Belgravia' is a brilliant re-introduction to the delights that the first series gave. Moffat balances plot with drama, action and humour perfectly with twists and turns galore before bringing it all to a satisfying conclusion. Belgravia also boasts an excellent Lara Pulver as Irene Adler. Gatiss' 'Hounds of Baskerville' is more of a leaning towards horror and the supernatural but keeps you hooked throughout, it may lack the brilliant scenes of deduction seen previously but it's by no means anything lesser. Arguably however Thompson steals the show with a belter of a story as Holmes finally gets to do battle with his arch nemesis James or 'Jim' Moriarty in 'Reichenbach Falls'. Andrew Scott gives a showstealing turn (almost) as a sinister take on the character and the clash of intellects between Moriarty and Sherlock is every bit as epic as it should. The ending itself is mindblowing and heartbreaking and tops off what is simply remarkable television. It goes without saying that if you loved the first series then you'll love this one even more; if you've seen this and havent seen the first series then go buy that one as well as this. Simply marvelous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Daring, 25 Jan 2012
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Now we have had the second series of Sherlock, and we know that there is a third series on the way, who would have thought that 'Sherlock Fever' would once again sweep the world. Conan Doyle wrote his serial detective and soon overtook the popularity of M Lecoq, the big sensation at the time. From there he has been filmed many times, arguably the ultimate old style stories brought to life in Sherlock Holmes - Complete Collection [DVD] by the definitive Holmes, Jeremy Brett. To actually dare to go back to the stories and look at ways to bring them into the 21st Century was a stroke of genius, but to actually make them work, and have not just a British but an international fan base for the series is just astounding.

This two disc set gives us the three latest films, subtitles for those who need them, and a documentary about making this second series. The on screen chemistry between Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is perfect, as well as the rest of the casting. With a Moriarty who is genuinely unpredictable and the delicious Lara Pulver as Irene Adler there is just so much to take in and enjoy here. The new Sherlock is believable and Cumberbatch has fallen into a role that seems to have been written just for him. Once again a series that is as good as the first one, and long may the new Sherlock be on our screens to entertain and enthrall us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it., 4 April 2013
serendipity (liverpool, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Never thought I would enjoy this being a fan of the definitive Holmes, Jeremy Brett. However, to say I was surprised is an understatement. Set in the 21st century Holmes has made an astonishing transition to 21st century detective. His wit is acidic and utterly devoid of any understanding of social niceties, he is humorous, infuriating and a little insane. The pace of the films is fast and will keep you guessing to the end. Cumberbatch was born to play this role and it would be a crime to not buy this DVD, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pupils dilated, 6 Feb 2012
Rarely is a second series better than the first but, good news Sherlock fans, the boys here seem to have done it. So here we have the big three - romance, horror and thriller or to put it another way the woman, the hound and the enemy dealing with the themes of love, fear and death. The episodes are so excellent I struggle to find words to convey just how glorious they are.

The acting is superb. Benedict Cumberbatch manages to encompass intelligence, moodiness and sex appeal in his portrayal of Holmes (how can you not love that face?) and the chemistry between he and Martin Freeman as Watson is spot on. The interaction between Cumberbatch and Lara Pulver (Irene Adler) is also great, not only on screen but on the audio commentary which is interesting and amusing. I feel I should mention the other women here - Una Stubbs (Mrs Hudson) and Louise Brealey (Molly Hooper) - as I believe their performances are underrated. You feel so much warmth for Mrs Hudson and empathy for poor `I don't count' Molly.

All episodes are brilliantly filmed. There's atmospheric music, a witty and intelligent script, moments of tension, shock, humour and sadness. My favourite episode is `A Scandal in Belgravia' which has so many fantastic, teasing and emotional moments on so many levels - I'd be amazed by anyone not on the edge of their seat when the phone unlocks! The `Fall' episode will leave you bubbling with anticipation for series 3 and brimming with theories about what actually happened.

I'm rating this as 5 stars (I would feel so terrible if I didn't, these are the best things to hit TV screens in ages ) but I agree with other reviews I've seen that the special features are a bit lacking. I enjoyed the `Sherlock Uncovered' as I thought it was fascinating but I would have liked a little more of it please. Also is it really fair to have 3 episodes and only 2 audio commentaries? I loved hearing the stories from behind the scenes and learning about the incorporated Conan Doyle references. Clearly one of the reasons these are so good is that the writers are dedicated to maintaining the authenticity of the original stories. Sadly Martin Freeman does not appear on either of the commentaries and Benedict Cumberbatch only appears on one - hopefully this will be rectified for series 3?

I strongly advise everyone to become engrossed in these as quickly as possible - I have watched my Blu-ray every day since it arrived. Sit back, allow your pulse to become elevated, pupils dilated and don't be surprised if you have a few sharp intakes of breath either...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century, 16 Jan 2012
N. Lemans (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic second series, I didn't think they would be able to best the first, but they did. I was in tears at the end of the final instalment! The actors and characters are all perfect, modernised very well, but the original Holmes and Watson are still perfectly visible within their modern personae. This is an instant classic, the best TV that I've seen in a long time, and my pre-order is already in place!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 31 Jan 2012
I really think that Gatiss and Moffat hit it out of the park with series. It's simply amazing. The work that they put into these shows is astounding. The cinematography, the scripts and the actors are seriously spot on. Benedict and Martin have such great chemistry and Andrew Scott really nailed that portrayal of Moriarty.

So many people that I've shown Sherlock to have just simply fallen in love with it.

As for the US buyers, Sony blu ray players don't play 50i. Samsung, Panasonic, and LG blu ray players do. So if you're having trouble playing it in the US, it's most likely because you don't have the right player. I have a Sony and a Samsung and it wont play on my sony due to it being strictly a 60i, but it will play on my samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Picks up from series one, and follows on to the eventual conclusion.

Continuing the the updating and adapting, with great respect for Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle's original that if new to Sherlock Holmes then everything is shiny and fantastic. If you are a fan of the original then there is so much respectful acknowledgement and nods that it becomes fun to see how this has been done.

Such a shame that those who adapt don't seem to have the same care.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two great episodes with a dull one inbetween, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Sherlock really is great, episodes one and three are genuinely impressive, however the second was just boring.
I wholeheartedly recommemd it simply for episodes one and three.
Episode one really makes you think and literally everyone I know who's seem it loves the interpretaton of Irene Addler and Episode 3 gives a real challenge for the mind and you really feel for Sherlock and Watson.
Cumberbatch and Freeman really are an excellent double act.

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] by Benedict Cumberbatch (DVD - 2012)
7.26