5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup
This external USB floppy drive was very easy to setup with Windows 7. Just connect to your PC and let it install the drivers. I was up and running in about 15 seconds.
Published on 2 April 2012 by S. Wade

1.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T READ DISKS
THIS DEVICE WAS SAID TO WORK ON EARLIER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS. BUT THE ENVELOPE SAID IT WAS WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBLE.
SADLY, MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS THAT I FOUND IT COULDN'T READ A SINGLE DISK FROM VARIOUS YEARS. IT JUST KEPT REPEATING "FORMAT DISK" WHEN OF COURSE THAT WOULD HAVE DELETED CONTENT AND DEFEATED THE OBJECT.
Published 22 months ago by Mr. J. Calvert

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, 2 April 2012
S. Wade - See all my reviews
This review is from: PC Trading® Portable Slim Line USB 3.5" 1.44Mb External Floppy Disk Drive - Compatible with Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7 (32-Bit + 64-Bit) - Driver CD Included - Black (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Saver, 13 Aug. 2012
This piece of kit has been a real time saver.
It retrieved text documents on floppies formatted as far back as 1999 on my old faithful Sharps Fontwriter 710 WordProcessor. I know! I'm a dinosaur but I'd still be using it if I could get ribbons for it. I was told I'd not get anything to retrieve my stuff. So, very un-keen to transcribe all I've ever done, I gave this little gem a whirl.
My new HP LapTop with Windows7 64bit recognised the FDD straight away - thankfully! as I'm new to a computer. I sent my files to Documents, then, following the dialogue boxes in Word "saved as" WordDocument so that I could continue to edit them. I had to delete all WP code at the top of the page to avoid a page full of lines with no text!! Some formatting gets lost: special key character, italics and inverted commas, but that's so much better than copy-typing numerous files. The only floppy it did not recognise was an IBM formatted one so I just copied those files onto a WP formatted floppy and got it into my computer that way. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Thank you PC Trading for speedy delivery; a great product at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars All add-ons should be so good, 26 Sept. 2012
Plugged in to my Windows 7 32 bit desk-top. Was ready to use a minute later - no need of instructions or driver disc.

It wouldn't read the first disc from my archive; I kept getting message about it not being formatted etc. The next disc I tried worked immediately. I found that the first disc had seized a little over the years and the black disc inside wasn't turning freely. I freed it a little by manually rotating it and re-tried it. Although it initially came up with the same error message, I kept repeatedly pressing the 'retry' icon and on about the 6th attempt it read the contents ok. I wonder if this is the cause of some of the troubles reported in previous reviews? Some of these 3.5" discs must have deteriorated over the years.

Reading and writing to good discs was a dawdle. Lovely piece of kit that looks good and works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars disk drive, 21 Feb. 2012
absolutely brill little bit of kit, great value for money and simple to use, small compact and will get you out of a fix if you've got lots of old floppy disks with info stored on them still

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing failed built-in floppy drive, 15 July 2012
Plugged it into a USB port and Windows XP recognised it. Inserted floppy disk and immediately read the files stored on it. Quicker, cheaper and simpler than trying to repair built-in drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T READ DISKS, 9 May 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Floppy disks external 3.5" drive, 20 Sept. 2013
Arrived very promptly and had been carefully packaged. Did not work ... at all ... not recognised by PC with Win7 64-bit. Tried with old laptop (WinXP) but dead as a dodo; so returned as faulty

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac compatible plug and play, 4 Aug. 2013
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's a small lightweight yet high quality Floppy Disk Drive.
I bought it to file share between my 2012 iMac and my 1989 Macintosh SE30.
I ended up file sharing between a 2005 Powerbook G4 and the 1989 SE30.

It was plugged into my iMac and I was able to read Files ONLY.

I was NOT able to write any though - but this is a fault with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and NOT the Floppy Drive.

It can read and write any Macintosh format - IF you have the OS X version which is capable of doing this.

I have a Powerbook G4 which I had to use to File share instead - it has OS X 10.4 Tiger and is perfect.

Just plug and play. Inserting a diskette mounts it on the Finder and it reads and writes and formats HD disks as normal.
I didn't try any non-HD disks.

Overall, very happy and very useful to have for such a cheap price.

4.0 out of 5 stars USB Floppy Drive, 4 Aug. 2012
This drive does exactly what is claimed, and is very good value. It allowed me to check on the contents of a number of disks I had re-discovered. It does indeed work with a Windows 7 64bit machine. Perhaps the only slight thing I found was that after changing a disk, you seemed to have to go back via the computer folder to refresh the drive, but I may be just remembering computers with built in drives!

5.0 out of 5 stars P C trading USB 3.5" floppy drive, 3 Feb. 2014
The floppy drive is completely compatible with Win 8 plugged it in and was reading old floppies in about 15 secs. Delivery was instant everything was 100% brilliant