on 8 February 2013
This is not really my "kind" of book but thought I'd give it a punt as I used to live near the lakes and also worked with the authors brother for awhile, plus I'm a sucker for a bit of nostalgia!

I was pleasantly surprised so hence have no qualms about recommending this book. I found the characters believable and the story had enough twists to keep me interested.

Enjoy.
on 21 September 2011
Northern Spirit has some wonderful descriptive passages. Don't expect a James Herriot type of story though. I would say it has more the essence of a Bronte novel, but set in the seventies. It captures a claustrophobic existence on a remote Northern farm (with hidden menace). There are unexpected twists, but at its heart it is a romance. I enjoyed reading this book and don't hesitate in recommending it.
on 26 September 2014
Nice holiday read, picked this book because I live in the Lake District and it was nice to read a story about places I could recognise, it was quite a good story and can't wait to read part 2 to see what happens to the keldas family next
on 1 April 2013
A really good read. David had such a crazy time with so much going on that he needed to contend with unexpected twists and turns along the way. I don't read many books but I am glad I invested the time to read this one and it has sparked my addiction to carry on to the sequel. After reading the synopsis to the sequel- it'd not all over for David....
on 2 February 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the author portrays her characters really well and writes a brilliant story. I will read the series!!
on 29 September 2011
For lovers of the English Lake District, this novel has the additional bonus of some very evocative descriptions of the fells. Set in a fictional farmhouse in 1973, the family saga is centred amongst the fells above Grasmere. The plot has many twists and turns which make for an absorbing read.
on 6 March 2012
I found this book fascinating, it is full of twists and turns which keep you turning the pages. The descriptions of the Lake District were true word pictures. I also like the glimpses we were given into peoples lives without revealing too much until the end. I look forward to further works by the same author.
on 23 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book.....what do you want from a book? I want to want to read the ending from at least 30 pages in.....and I did! I wanted to get to the end to know what was going to happen, I hate it when you read a book and you just haven't invested anything in the story but you feel honour-bound to finish it. In this case there was no such feeling, it was a joy to complete! A few good twists and and now I want to read the next! Good job. Read it.
on 5 July 2014
This book has everything I look for in a great read - family saga, well developed characters, twists and turns and and plot that reveals itself over the course of the book. The author clearly has a love of the Lake District as she provides wonderful descriptions of the landscape. I will definitely read the whole series.
on 29 November 2011
I am only half way through the book but thoroughly....thoroughly... enjoying it and look forward to tea breaks to read on... I can picture this so easily... lovely descriptions of the lakes scenery... love the characters and the farmhouse.... More of this review to come when I finish.... Finished now... coulnd't stop reading... There is an exciting twist... Loved it.