on 17 September 2012
After having no end of trouble with power dvd and blu-ray saying I had changed the region more that 5 times when all i did was upgrade to the next version and they will not tell you how to rectify so I jumped into WinDVD. Works like a dream with Blu-Ray and DVD so good bye power dvd.
on 4 May 2012
Got to agree with other people, this is better than Power DVD 12.
I have been using Power DVD for some time, but since updating to 12 it has started to play up.
Since buying and using WinDVD I have had no trouble.
on 2 January 2013
I bought this software based on the reviews of other people praising this software.
Used various PowerDVD versions in the past without any problems and never had any problems with that software, but went over to WinDVD Pro 11 Pro to check how that software works on my newly purchased laptop.
Installed it on my laptop which has an Intel graphics card and an additional NVidia graphics card which kicks into gear using NVidia Optimus software when heavy graphic applications are started.

To my horror it is NOT possible to play Blu-rays (which is the main reason to buy this software) on my machine, because a requestor appears which mentions I should update the graphic card drivers.
All my drivers are up-to-date which is not the problem, but the real reason why this software will not play Blu-rays is that it NEVER switches to the NVidia card when Blu-rays are being played. It remains using the internal Intel graphics card, which obviously cannot cope playing Blu-rays due to performance restrictions.

Contacted the Customer Support of Corel, but they just keep giving nonsense info (the problem is always my laptop and not the "software" they sell, even though a lot of other people share the same problem I have) and zero support.
I've had it with this product, a waste of money on a product with a very bad Customer Support.
Be warned and try a trial version first (as I should have done but unfortunately didn't).
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2012
I used a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra (PC), and although it had a really nice interface, when playing blu rays on my pc it kept crashing, causing weird interference problems etc.

Then someone mentioned Corel WinDVD 11 Pro, and whereas it doesn't have as nice an interface, it doesn't seem to be creating this problem at all (touch wood), so I downloaded the trial version of that, worked fine, so when it expired I decided to purchase the software package directly from amazon.

The reason for it being 4 stars, is because it is FAR too expensive. If it were only 40, I'd give it 5 easily. I'm guessing it's because it has 3D glasses included (which I don't need at all, to be honest).

So in my opinion, Corel should sell this product at a cheaper price for about £40 and not include the glasses. If people want them, they can always buy them separately.

If you were disappointed with power dvd 11's unreliability, then download the trial version of Corel, and see how you get on with that. But just bear in mind it does have quite an ugly interface and is not as user friendly or fancy (pretty). But what would you rather have, buggy nice looking software, or minimalist software that does the job it's supposed to?

If this one starts to bug out and crash on me as well, I may update my review and let people know in the future (and be quite annoyed that I wasted almost 60 quid).

But so far, more reliable (albeit more expensive) than Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra (PC)
on 16 November 2012
Great player for Windows 7 but it is not compatible with Windows 8 with any settings :(
Don't fall for the "run it in compatibility mode" ruse, it wont work.
I know upgrading can mean binning some progs but was kind of hoping Corel would patch it or roll out Windvd 12 by now.
The only chance of getting something useful from this prog in Win8 is to use the CODECS in another player. But even that's not good or easy.
on 22 December 2011
you get one cd 3d glasses for £56.97 though this isnt amazon its just crazy i know it costs more in the shops. i dont know how they can justify charging that much, no wonder people do ileagal downloads anyhows im moaning and digressing do apologize but its coming upto christas need my little rant...
having recently purchasing a sony Vaio that plays blu-rays. wasnt to happy with the blu ray media wasnt loud and kept needing updating to play blu-rays then you update and a week again needed updating and couldnt update blah blah blah.... managed to download a trial version of windvd pro 11, and found the volume was brilliant and a much more reliable software.... will be truthful did consider an illeagal download over paying this much, but decided to be a good boy... or a fool depending on how you think... would be 5 stars but price is well steep for a software :)
on 11 August 2013
I held up my part of the deal and paid for this expensive sham people should be made a where that this product simply does not work it has all the bells and whistle's then just keeps crashing. I have an power full and driver updated computer. and occasionally enjoy the trills of 3D and blue ray movies this I was promised with this thing. Forget there SUPPORT service you may as well hold a séance no body home. And the update I've tried that dead, dead, dead it would not even start. what's the point of putting an up date out that don't work. utter rubbish I like honest reviews to make people a wear.
on 8 December 2013
I tried other DVD software before buying this one, the others just glued my computer up, this one runs well, the picture clarity is excellent , with 1080p possible, and ,since its on disc less chance of viruses from downloading the software from the internet. Simple to use , would recommend .
on 14 May 2013
This is my second Corel Win DVD pro 11 software package, the first was a Download from Corel, but unfortunately due to a household accident the Key was lost - no problem until my PC went bust too, then I was unable to retrieve my key without paying Corel around £28 to do so (and that was after a lot of searching on the internet) - so I decided to buy the Disc version, now I have a key that is with the disc - DON'T BE TEMPTED TO BUY THE DOWNLOAD, if Corel cannot support customers then their products are useless, what a shame as I have used WinDVD pro 11 for some time and found it a sound offering & it works well too, although I have given it 4 stars it is actually is very good, it is Corel support that is the REAL RUBBISH - program 4 stars Corel support Minus 50 stars..... the usual fast service from Amazon gets the normal 5 Stars plus. although my review is rather negative give the program a try - notice I use the word Program Not App.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2012
It does do a better job than the buggy and poorly designed PowerDVD, but it's far from free of issues of it's own.

Hacking your way about the UI becomes commonplace, for example, I have been recently been directed twice to the Corel website to check for new codecs for new Blu-Ray discs - despite the fact that they don't exist. This blocks the player's operation. On another disc, if I let it play through the trailers, it then tells me it can't play the disc, if I skip them I can get to the menu. Older Blu-Rays, and DVDs play without error.

Altogether very shoddy UI work, very slow to respond (on my overclocked 6-core, 4.2GHz system), and not terribly attractive, except as an alternative to an unbearable application like PowerDVD.

All told, this is reason enough to purchase WinDVD, sound and image quality are excellent, once you get it going.

See one answered question