5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little drive, totally silent
I'm using mine for twice daily Time Machine backups and a weekly SuperDuper! backup of the boot drive.

I connected the drive via Firewire and partitioned the disk using Disk Utility, setting the two partitions I need to use the GUID Partition Table. This means it can now be used as the boot drive in the event my primary drive fails.

I did not install...
Published on 31 July 2012 by Rob C

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within nine months and WD warranty invalid
Published 9 months ago by RajaBhopal

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little drive, totally silent, 31 July 2012

I did not install the supplied WD utilities as I've been down the route of WD software before and, for me, they add nothing I need. The other consideration was that Apple seem to be banging out a "new" OS every year and thus there's no guarantee that the WD software will work -- or be updated -- in the next incarnation of OS X.

All in all, a nice, solid backup solution that I have no problem recommending.

Oh, and I'm using it on Mountain Lion if that helps anyone?

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice neat bit of kit!, 20 Feb. 2012
S. Hassan (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been buying Western Digital Passport external drives for some time, due to their reliability and functionality. This new drive is something better and more impressive. The build quality is VERY good and, despite the recent hike in drive prices, was not excessively expensive. As I need to have a reliable back up drive - and need to be mobile - this is the only choice on the market at the moment. It linked in with my existing system without any hassle at all, and has already repaid my investment by saving me from a system failure.

If any storage hungry project demanded more mobile storage, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Add-on to the MacBook I Use, 7 April 2012
M. Rossouw (London, UK) - See all my reviews
An amazingly fast (I use the Firewire 800 connectivity option) and stylish external drive. I have a Macbook Pro and bought this drive as a backup device using TimeMachine. It provides a useful encryption and authentication option, connects very quickly and painlessly and works silently in the background. Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars firewire capable external hard disk, 27 Aug. 2012
Gary J. Hunter "Family Hunter" (Malta, EU) - See all my reviews
I chose this particular 1 TB external hard drive because it was firewire 800 ready. That means anyone with an iMac like mine or other suitably equipped PC or Mac can hook up to a very fast data transfer cable that also provides power for the drive.
The only one I could find actually.
That said it works great, especially if you are using it with Apple's TImeMachine app to backup al your work on a regular basis.

Now I want another one simply to use as an 'ordinary' external drive...
And did I mention how extremely portable it is?

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't praise it too highly!, 25 Aug. 2012
Why is it so hard to find USB & Firewire in the same device? It took me a long time to locate this item but I'm glad I did. It is reliable, versatile and well-priced. I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for mac users, 13 Aug. 2012
I bought this drive as I was lookng for suitable external drive that didnt require a power supply and had Firewire 800. Not only does it fit my crireria.. it looks great too and is totally silent when idle. Very happy with th epurchase and may buy another :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within nine months and WD warranty invalid, 11 July 2014
This drive failed within 9 months of purchase. I have never had an external hard drive with such a short life-span. Western Digital would not replace the drive as their usual 3-year warranty is void since the drive was sold 'Out of Region' (presumably imported from a retailer in the Far East). Amazon's warranty also expired within three months. I would therefore strongly recommend you to avoid this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes perfectly with a MacBook., 1 July 2012
A quality product which not only looks good next to my MacBook Pro but performs extremely well though the FireWire port...a great buy and very good value. Quiet, sleek and stylish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital 1TB My Passport Studio Portable Hard Drive with Firewire and Black Metal Casing, 21 Jun. 2012
Awesome, high quality piece of kit, using as a time machine backup, great transfer speeds over the firewire 800 connector with my iMac, plug and play simplicity, no external power supply, just plug in the firewire 800 cable and your away. Would reccomend to anyone with a mac and a firewire 800 or 400 or usb 2 connector, this drive supports them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars WD My Passport Studio 1TB Portable Hard Drive with Firewire and Metal Casing - Black, 15 Jan. 2014
Mr. D. P. Carter (Wirral, UK.) - See all my reviews
An urgent purchase as my previous Iomega/Toshiba external backup drive failed. A quick search found the (WD My Passport Studio 1TB Portable Hard Drive with Firewire and Metal Casing - Black), which met all of my requirements for backing up my Mac Pro. The drive enclosure is very well made and has two Firewire 800 ports and one USB 2 port. USB 2 would be far too slow for backing up a terabyte of data but Firewire 800 is quick and efficient. Short cables (about 30cm) are supplied for both interfaces and appear to be of good quality. I've had WD drives in the past and find them to be very reliable.
It was supplied by Novum Distribution GmbH and was delivered very quickly. My only slight reservation was that the drive was not wrapped in any padding and rattled around in the box a little. That said, there was no damage, and it works perfectly fine.
The WD software supplied on the drive appears to be reasonable, though I have used Apple's Disk Utility to re-format the drive and Carbon Copy Cloner to make my backup.
Over all, I'm really pleased.
Hope this review helps.