5.0 out of 5 stars The end of my networking problems!
I belong to the group of people who have been given a BT Home Hub 3 when they got their internet connection. The Home Hub is a very good looking device but a poor performer as a router.

Published on 26 July 2012 by RD

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor range extender
I bought this router primarily because I needed to increase the range of my home Wi-Fi and secondly I hoped for better performance. I was disappointed to find very little range increase over the free Home Hub 3 supplied by BT. I therefore ended up buying a Netgear range extender as well so I ended up spending a lot more than I planned.
Published 15 months ago by Danny boy

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of my networking problems!, 26 July 2012
RD (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)

I have two wireless access points at home and one day I decided that I had enough of the continuous WiFi disconnections on my laptop, trouble with mobile phone WiFi connection, and so forth. After some research I found this dual bander router, which I have chosen as the 5GHz band is absolutely free in my neighbourhood.

I'll be straight to the point: this router is absolutely brilliant. If you are just an modest intermediate computer user, you can set it up without even reading the user manual. In my case I didn't want to fiddle too much with passwords and settings on all my clients so I just copied the BT Home Hub settings and pasted in the relevant boxes of the new access point.

When I unplugged the BT Home Hub and plugged this one in, it worked immediately. The only thing that failed was the NTP connection from my server, this is because it needed to have the DNS server set for this router (the hub requires weird settings), which I fixed in less than a minute.

If you are not experienced, the user manual will lead you through the settings.

How does it work then? Very well, both on 2.4GHz, where I have no more disconnections, and on 5GHz. Brilliant, as I said.

WARNING: if you are looking for a modem/router/access point, you are looking at the wrong product. This device require an ethernet feed and NOT a phone lead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase., 13 May 2012
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
Obiviously like everyone else I have read tons of reviews. And I found people who didnt give full marks to this product, mostly complaining about high price or cable modem is not build-in, beacuse they have to use cable modem along with the router. Obviously having a cable modem build in would be a very big plus. But still without cable modem this router no way less than excellent.

I used to do video streaming to watch movies on TV donwloaded in my laptop. before with my older router It was next to imposiable.but now with my N900 its marvellous.

Plus before I was unable to do windows HomeGroup on my old Belkin router. In-order to make that work I had to restart the router several times. But now with N900 I m a happy bunny. Manage to connect all my dives which inlcudes three laptops, two desktop PCs, one iPhone, One HTC phone and my PS3. All getting blazing fast internet everywhere in my house. The max connection speed I get is 150mps which is way more than I was getting before.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase. Price wise it is little bit on high end. But if it solves your home internet/network problems then I would say money well spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, 24 May 2012
Excellent router.
Compared to my old routers, this is by far the best. It beats my old Buffalo on ease of use, the Netgear routerlogin is very straightforward, nothing like the complicated menus and options of the Buffalo. Also, the build quality is superb. It beats the horrible D-link in every way possible. So, this is my third router and I'm finally satisfied. It looks good, provides excellent high speed wireless broadband and beats the pathetic Virgin 'Superhub' wi-fi. That's why I purchased it, to provide wi-fi coverage from my Virgin broadband connection. The Virgin 'Superhub' is in modem mode with its useless wireless now disabled. Everyone in the house is now happy, several PCs, two Xboxes, four laptops and the occasional tablet. All connected and getting a fair share of bandwidth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all my boxes, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
I looked around for over a year for a router to replace my old and failing Netgear G router.

This one is not cheap, but it does appear to be a good product. I have a faultless connection throughout my house with three computers, three phones and two media players all receiving a fast link. It is easy enough to set up but it took some digging in the settings to find the access list facility.

I wanted a router to also act as a server for my media files and printer. This has two USB ports but I connected a USB hub and the router happily connected four USB hard disks and my printer without complaint.

It's quite a big unit so bear that in mind when ordering.

So far, then, very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
I purchased this router for a 100mbps Virgin Media connection a little over a year ago. So far it has performed exceptionally.

A Virgin Media 'Superhub' can be set to utilise the 5ghz band, which means less signal interference and faster speeds to your wireless devices. But the 5ghz band has a smaller radius than 2.4ghz (the standard) and thus requires you to be nearer the router. Also, only the most up-to-date computers, tablets and smartphones have network cards which are are 5ghz compatible. The iPhone 4S, whilst relatively recent, cannot receive (and connect to) 5ghz routers (althought the iPhone 5 can). While it's impressive for Virgin to offer the 5ghz option on its 'Superhubs', it's a choice of one or the other: 2.4ghz OR 5ghz. Even if all your devices are 5ghz compatible, what if you had a guest with an iPhone 4S (or other fairly recent device which is not 5ghz compatible) who wanted to use your WiFi?

Enter the Netgear N900. A dual band router, it supports 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands simultaneously (each of which is capable of speeds up to 450mbps). This means that your latest devices can really take advantage of that fast connection, whilst older devices can still use your WiFi as normal (and in fact the 2.4ghz performance is excellent). With six antennas it has a truly excellent range.

The Admin Interface is pretty decent. It's divided into two screens: either 'Basic' or 'Advanced' and these can be switched between at the click of a button. Less techie users (using the Basic view) see only what they need to, with an uncomplicated, easy to navigate interface. More techie users, such as myself (using the Advanced view), see a vast array of configurable options at their fingertips.

The firmware is full of features as well. From Parental Controls (provided in partnership with OpenDNS), Guest Networks (you can have two running on 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands) for your guests, ReadyShare (which allows you to network printers and other USB devices by simply plugging them into the router), QoS (which allows you to prioritise speed on particular devices depending on what they are doing - e.g. preferential speed to a device using Skype over other devices merely browsing the web), as well as a host of other features (DLNA, Dynamic DNS, etc). This router greatly surpasses performance of ISP routers like the 'Superhub', providing many more features (as outlined above) whilst also allowing you to break free from the restrictions imposed by those routers (the Superhub does not allow custom DNS, for example).

Setup was easy. Login to the Virgin Superhub interface -> Advanced Settings -> Turn on Modem Mode. Then connect the provided ethernet cable between the Superhub and the N900. Connect to the router with the predefined password on the back of the device and proceed to Setup. The whole process took about 5 minutes and was incredibly easy. When you have a 120mbps connection, only a top-notch router like the N900 will allow you to really take advantage of that speed. Best networking purchase I've made yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router for Fiber Optic internet, 3 July 2012
G. Hardy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
I bought this router after upgrading to BT Infinity service.

This router is easy to setup and tick all the boxes but one (no VPN support).

Please do ignore negative reviews of people who did not understand this is not a ADSL router but this requires an Ethernet cable connection to the Internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer., 14 May 2012
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
Absolutely fantastic product. I use this with BT infinity (now 80/20!) instead of the home hub and speeds have increased across the network to all computers. Transferring data wirelessly to the network hard drive has also doubled in speed. Rock solid stability and a good user interface - although not 100% compatible with ios devices, but good enough for most functionality.
Would definitely recommend if you hate the home hub!

4.0 out of 5 stars BT Infinity 2 Approved, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
As a replacement for the standard BT Home Hub 3 it is a massive improvement. I've have mine hooked up to the BT Infinity 2 modem and it works like a charm. No down time yet, and provides a stready internet connection to all my cabled and wireless devices. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Performance, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
Excellent router - the wireless is the fastest I've ever used. Very easy to set up and all my home network was sorted within just a few minutes. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars DNLA & USB make this a must have router, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Accessory)
for me the combination of the DLNA service and the USB to power my SSD hard disk make this a must have router, a its very easy to setup; I had the thing setup within 20 minutes from getting the box delivered and I'm disabled

Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router