5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic.
I bought this after having a bad experience with the WD My Passport 1TB. I can honestly say that this is 10x better in all categories. I personally use a Mac, so can't talk about the Windows software it comes with, but so far it's great, 50GB file in approx 10 mins (2.0) and only 2 mins for 3.0.

In comparison to other external HDs I've used, this one feels...
Published 19 months ago by Mr. T. Andrews

1.0 out of 5 stars Ministation failed after one years light use
I am very unhappy with the product and the support from Buffalo.

Published 11 months ago by Anthony Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 10 April 2013
Mr. T. Andrews (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buffalo HD-PZ1.0U3B-EU 1TB MiniStation Extreme 2.5" Inch External Hard Drive - Black (Accessory)

In comparison to other external HDs I've used, this one feels extremely good quality and is well worth paying the extra £10-15 for. It's a little bigger as well but it feels so much more sturdy than others, and the tuck-away USB3 cable is a real plus (oh and it also comes with a USB3 extension cable). It's drop-proof from over 2m, and it certainly feels like that as well. The black colour is actually extremely dark blue, and it looks incredible.

I'm more than happy with this purchase and will definitely be buying from this range again (if I ever need to).

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - but for Windows only as far as I can tell, 12 Dec 2012
Good device, but be aware that for the hardware encryption feature, you need to be running Windows (not Mac OS X.....).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you'll get for the price, 19 April 2012
S. Clarke "Beany" (UK) - See all my reviews
I read many reviews of external drives before buying this one. It's easily one of the fastest out of the current crop of USB 3.0 external 2.5" drives, often faster that alternatives at reading and writing files, and it's very well made. Most alternatives have a cheap plastic feel and look but the Ministation Extreme is very solid with a quality feel. The plastic is thick and chunky and doesn't bend or rattle. The back is covered in textured hard rubber with a slight leathery feel. Even the cables are high quality. It also has better shock protection than most other drives.

Theres some nice little touches as well, for instance the light on the drive will turn blue when connected to a device that has USB 3.0, but the light will turn green when connected to USB 2.0. From my own testing, using 3.0 is often 2 - 3 times quicker at copying files.

The attached USB cable that wraps around the outer side of the casing is great as you dont have to carry around a separate cable, which used to annoy me with older drives i've had. The attached cable fits nicely in to a groove down the side as you can see from the pics, you can flick it up and pull it out. But the drive also comes with a separate extension cable if you need extra length although i've had no use for it yet.

I cant say much about the included software because i've not used it as i already have alternatives that do the same things. But if you've got a older computer then the included Turbo PC EX software can speed up file copying. If you have a computer with SSD's this is pretty pointless though.

Theres no other external drives anywhere near this price range that are as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible Backup, 7 Mar 2013
I was in the market for a reliable external backup hard drive; this was as a replacement for a HP SimpleSave which was a total failure. After a lot of research I finally chose the Buffolo Extreme. Good reports, good price and...US Department of Defense approved. What more can you want? It's proven to survive dropping from two metres although I'm not going to try it. It will probably stand being run over by a tank but I'm not going to try that either.

It works very well, silent, unobtrusive and it tells you what's going on which the SimpleSave never did. So far, so good but the proof is using the backup in a panic and that is all in the future. Watch this space.

Oh, by the way, it does have a down side. It will only backup the installed hard drive and I wanted it to backup my pen drives. Paranomia rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat & easy to use, 29 Dec 2012
C. E. Patterson "Clive" (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
Well made product but could do with better documentation and explanation of what facilities it offers. A good written overview would help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality item so far, 17 Jan 2013
I did a fair bit of research on this, and its the only compact 1TB I could find with consistently good reviews on a number of sites. a very well-made item with a clever integral cable.
only time will tell how robust the drive is - one thing to be aware of - the high datarates require the TurboEX utility to be installed, which according to our IT expert, worms its way right into the file management of your machine's OS. I removed it and the drive is still working fine, and it is not that noticeably slower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough portable drive, 25 Nov 2012
tes (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Bought for rugged construction. Still looks good, nice finish. Built in USB connection is very handy, but quite short lead. So far no issues at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Ministation failed after one years light use, 9 Dec 2013
I am very unhappy with the product and the support from Buffalo.

I bought this as I had had a disk failure in my laptop and needed somewhere 'secure' and 'reliable' to keep all my files, music, correspondence, personal admin and finance information. Rather than commit my data again to an internal hard drive, I kept it on my 'US Military Grade Shock Protection' Extreme Ministation and backed it up occasionally to a second external HDD of the same brand. That was a mistake. There is a controller or microprocessor board which sits in front of the hard drive itself.
The controller failed on my Ministation. I had enabled hardware encryption. I phoned Buffalo support and they 'diagnosed' the fault in 30 seconds, stated that not the controller but the hard drive had failed and confirmed they would pay the warranty.

The problem is that it isn't the drive that failed, as I discovered after I had opened it up - it was actually the Buffalo technology itself that had failed, and buffalo didn't want to assist me with exploring that consideration. They certainly didn't want to help me recover my data. The technical support people were really obnoxious about not wanting to help any further - they were unwilling to refer the case to anyone better than their team leader - essentially their team is there to assist with warranties and not technical support. Both the UK and the US support were both the same - very junior, quite brusque and certainly no help. (The UK support was the worst - at least the US guy was friendly/sympathetic)

Very disappointing that Buffalo would take a drive from another manufacturer, rebadge it into their own disk drive enclosure, add their own technology which failed, blame the fault blindly on the hard drive made by a different manufacturer (Toshiba) and then not to want to assist a customer.

After I sent the drive to a data recovery center, they advised that because non-standard encryption had been used, the data was unrecoverable. If software encryption had been used such as Windows Bitlocker, or TrueCrypt or PGP Disk Encryption, as long as the password was known there would have been a chance of reversing the encryption.

Hence if you want an external disk drive I would steer well away from buffalo and their cruddy support, and I would highly recommend purchasing a quality external disk drive enclosure, purchasing a 2.5" SATA drive and mounting the disk drive inside the enclosure yourself - its a cinch. It would also be better to use a SSD (Solid State Drive) rather than a HDD because the SSD has a higher reliability rate (2.0 million MTBF vs 1.5 MTBF for HHDs)

I wish I hadn't had to come to understand this the hard way. If I ever purchase something like this again, it will be from a US or UK vendor with a integral technical support capability, not some distant foreign company with low skilled administrative phone support teams hired locally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great External Drive, 24 April 2013
David A. Spooner "David Spooner" (Sheffield, UK.) - See all my reviews
I was going to go for a WD MyPassport but heard lots of reviews saying they had been made unusable after drops as small as an inch or two!!!

This drive looks and feels just as compact as any other portable drive but comes with shock protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 16 Dec 2013
I bought two Buffalo portable hard drives in the past and both have been great - reliable, fast, and well made. So buying this one was a no-brainer. Again, well made, nice design, shockproof, USB3 (quick) and includes an integral cable (also ships with a USB3 extension cable). Highly recommended.