5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic.
I bought this after having a bad experience with the WD My Passport 1TB. I can honestly say that this is 10x better in all categories. I personally use a Mac, so can't talk about the Windows software it comes with, but so far it's great, 50GB file in approx 10 mins (2.0) and only 2 mins for 3.0.

In comparison to other external HDs I've used, this one feels...
Published on 10 April 2013 by Mr. T. Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
Not bad, had for 2 years, and still works, but now will only work at usb 2 speeds - I think cable reliability issues to blame.
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by dm

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 10 April 2013
Mr. T. Andrews (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buffalo HD-PZ1.0U3B-EU 1TB MiniStation Extreme 2.5" Inch External Hard Drive - Black (Accessory)

In comparison to other external HDs I've used, this one feels extremely good quality and is well worth paying the extra £10-15 for. It's a little bigger as well but it feels so much more sturdy than others, and the tuck-away USB3 cable is a real plus (oh and it also comes with a USB3 extension cable). It's drop-proof from over 2m, and it certainly feels like that as well. The black colour is actually extremely dark blue, and it looks incredible.

I'm more than happy with this purchase and will definitely be buying from this range again (if I ever need to).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you'll get for the price, 19 April 2012
I read many reviews of external drives before buying this one. It's easily one of the fastest out of the current crop of USB 3.0 external 2.5" drives, often faster that alternatives at reading and writing files, and it's very well made. Most alternatives have a cheap plastic feel and look but the Ministation Extreme is very solid with a quality feel. The plastic is thick and chunky and doesn't bend or rattle. The back is covered in textured hard rubber with a slight leathery feel. Even the cables are high quality. It also has better shock protection than most other drives.

Theres some nice little touches as well, for instance the light on the drive will turn blue when connected to a device that has USB 3.0, but the light will turn green when connected to USB 2.0. From my own testing, using 3.0 is often 2 - 3 times quicker at copying files.

The attached USB cable that wraps around the outer side of the casing is great as you dont have to carry around a separate cable, which used to annoy me with older drives i've had. The attached cable fits nicely in to a groove down the side as you can see from the pics, you can flick it up and pull it out. But the drive also comes with a separate extension cable if you need extra length although i've had no use for it yet.

I cant say much about the included software because i've not used it as i already have alternatives that do the same things. But if you've got a older computer then the included Turbo PC EX software can speed up file copying. If you have a computer with SSD's this is pretty pointless though.

Theres no other external drives anywhere near this price range that are as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible Backup, 7 Mar. 2013
I was in the market for a reliable external backup hard drive; this was as a replacement for a HP SimpleSave which was a total failure. After a lot of research I finally chose the Buffolo Extreme. Good reports, good price and...US Department of Defense approved. What more can you want? It's proven to survive dropping from two metres although I'm not going to try it. It will probably stand being run over by a tank but I'm not going to try that either.

It works very well, silent, unobtrusive and it tells you what's going on which the SimpleSave never did. So far, so good but the proof is using the backup in a panic and that is all in the future. Watch this space.

Oh, by the way, it does have a down side. It will only backup the installed hard drive and I wanted it to backup my pen drives. Paranomia rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - but for Windows only as far as I can tell, 12 Dec. 2012
Good device, but be aware that for the hardware encryption feature, you need to be running Windows (not Mac OS X.....).

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 17 Jan. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat & easy to use, 29 Dec. 2012
C. E. Patterson "Clive" (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
Well made product but could do with better documentation and explanation of what facilities it offers. A good written overview would help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Reliable and Robust Portable Storage., 27 Jun. 2013
Smudge (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
Certainly the fastest drive I've ever used. And although I've not dropped it to test how well its shock resistance copes, it feels solid enough to inspire confidence. Easy enough to set it to the required format. I currently use it for photo backup attached to my MacBook, and I've been using it for long enough now that I'm convinced of its longevity.

Not sure how useful it is for the LED to change colour depending on whether you are connected to either USB 2 or USB 3, unless your PC has both flavours of port. But looking at other reviews, some people like this feature. I like its wraparound lead for convenience. BUT, (and this is the single niggle I have with it) the lead as it attaches to the drive isn't as secure as I would have liked. Perhaps it's a one off, as I haven't read any other complaints about it. But for me, it's annoying enough for me to drop down from 5 to 4 stars. Although to be honest, if ratings were out of 10, I'd have given it a 9.

Would I buy another? Certainly. Probably sooner rather than later. RAW files ain't getting any smaller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough portable drive, 25 Nov. 2012
tes (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Bought for rugged construction. Still looks good, nice finish. Built in USB connection is very handy, but quite short lead. So far no issues at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault this drive, 22 April 2013
I bought this mini portable drive to cope with the massive demands for backup storage of my Canon 7D - I take pictures in RAW format, that's 30MB each, the converted jpeg is half that and the final version about 4 - 5MB each.
This drive is tiny and would easily fit in a jacket pocket, it needs no power supply as it gets its power from the USB connection although the lead is quite short, I find it's no problem.
I set up the hardware encription - straightforward - so that when you plug it in you have to enter the password (best not to lose this!) to use or see the contents of the drive.
Like I said above, I can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great External Drive, 24 April 2013
David A. Spooner "David Spooner" (Sheffield, UK.) - See all my reviews
I was going to go for a WD MyPassport but heard lots of reviews saying they had been made unusable after drops as small as an inch or two!!!

This drive looks and feels just as compact as any other portable drive but comes with shock protection.