on 2 December 2011
Why is it I always come into a series at the 3rd book? I guess that is my fate. It is also my fate to have been a history student which does make it difficult for me to read historical romances. That being said, I was impressed that Karen Hawkins did manage to weave proper history into her story correctly. Although some people may object to the whole hidden child theme, it was something that was almost normal in the society of the day. I found this story to be interesting because the author knew that women in the 1820s (for that matter up to 1889) usually lost their children to the father because women were considered too "weak" to raise them. They also were not allowed their own money.

Forgive my tangent here but this is important when understanding the motives of the heroine, Moira MacAllister Hurst. She has had to learn to survive in a world where most women are merely a decorative accessory or a virtual slave. Much of her reported actions are based on a real woman's deception: Princess Caraboo. The author does recommend you find out who she is if you don't already know. All this history is also important to understand the "cover" that our hero, Robert Hurst, takes. He is a "James Bond" but instead of flaunting his masculinity, he plays an effeminate fop of the Ton. Oh, yes, he is 100% man. (I'd quote some of the text but Amazon wouldn't publish this then. Blush.)

I also really liked the sense of time. You, the reader, actually do travel with them. It isn't a case of starting in Edinburgh and suddenly you are in the Highlands. I actually think that Ms. Hawkins may have visited Scotland which is a nice change from some others I have read which have left me in doubt. Even today it takes 4.5 hours to travel by fast train from London to Edinburgh and another 4 hours from Edinburgh to Inverness. You can count that it takes a horse 2 days to cover the same mileage as a train covers in 1 hour. That type of detail, including the dreadful state of the roads, is a refreshing detail for those of us with a more historical mind.

It is a fun read. It is a good story with enough hint to the back story for it to stand alone. I'm not sure all the legalities are right, but hey, we're here for a happily-ever-after fantasy. It does deliver.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2014
Great book, fantastic buy, great service, thanks.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse