4.1 out of 5 stars1,808
Size: Large|Change

on 20 November 2010
I would like to tell you a story. I bought this harness on the strength of the other reviews. My head strong Spaniel usually drags me towards trees, lamposts, brick walls, parked cars and he is also usually ten steps ahead of me, with me jerking at his slip lead, yelling "heel", getting hot and bothered and thoroughly cheesed off. Dear reader, the harness arrived yesterday. We slipped it on. No fuss. I clipped on the lead. Still no fuss. I left the house, partner watching me. I turned after a few steps and said "well, I think it's working so far." We walked off into the damp night and I had to keep looking down to check it was the same dog on the end of the lead. No attempts to pull. No being pulled off balance. When I wanted to stop at the kerb, he gently stopped squarely with me. The lamposts came and went, as did the trees. I wondered if perhaps the thing was too tight? But no, his tail was wagging and when I checked around his shoulders, there was plenty of movement. Cue much grinning to myself, and imaginary air punching. I was enjoying the walk so much, we went far further than we usually do! We arrived home cool, calm, and collected. If your dog is giving you a pain in the arm and a sore throat, do yourself a HUGE favour and buy this harness. Now, I wonder if they do one for errant teenagers......?!!
1212 comments|718 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2010
I have a 40KG German Shepherd, who is 15 months old. He had a diificult start in life, being taken from his mother too early, changing owner at 4 months and moving home several times, including to a different continent. He has become a very strong willed and difficult dog, although still very loveable. As a result, it has not been easy to control or train him and his pulling on the lead during walks is excessive.

I bought the harness on the reccommendation of a friend, but when it arrived I was disappointed, because it seemed quite flimsy. In fact I was even concerned that it might break on account of my dog is so powerful. I'm pleased to say that I was proved totally wrong. Whilst the harness has far from stopped him pulling, it has, however, reduced the amount of effort I require to control him by at least 50%. Before I used to regularly suffer from neck, shoulder and arm aches and pains after long walks. Now this rarely occurs. Additionally I have now been able to stop using a choker chain, which I hate, but previously was the only means of having any meaningful control. Before a harness was totally unuseable. Maybe the description "non pull harness" is not quite accurate in my case, but certainly "much reduced pull" is valid. My dog is an extreme case and I would think that for 90% of dogs the harness would be totally effective.

It's not particularly expensive and I would reccommend anybody to buy one and give it a try. It may not stop your dog pulling completely, but I would be very surprised if you didn't experience a significant improvement and a lot less effort required on your part.
44 comments|411 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2010
My cocker spaniel was a pulling maniac, but as soon as we put the harness on him he stopped. Literally that quickly. I have no idea how or why it works, but my arms are no longer in danger of being dislocated.
11 comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2015
So far so good - just one concern (see bottom of review) I have a Chocolate Roan show-type Cocker Spaniel & Medium fits her perfectly (which was a concern as another harness I have was to big in medium & so I had to substitute it). Fir reference; she's 12.7kg.

Seem's comfortable for her to wear and this just before our first walk with it - so I may comment again after that or perhaps a few more.

I've had her model some pictures donning it on the "dog-walk" (sorry for the pun!) that's my kitchen, excuse her scruffy appearance, she not been well lately ...

My only concern is that the harness works a little like a choke chain in that the loop where the lead attaches is through a steel toggle which is the same cord which traverses both sides of the dogs chest / rib cage so whilst it does not tight around the dogs neck (like a choke chain) - it DOES tighten around the dogs forward / sides of torso - the more the dog pulls away - if that makes sense..

Another slight "observation" is that the under arm supports are very very soft indeed (fleece covered) presumably designed to maximise comfort / minimise rubbing.. This is understandable but on longer, softer haired dogs, this usually serves to matt up fur & cause premature tatting. I'm yet to see this happen I point out (as only just fitted it) but I'd be surprised if it didn't react in that way.

It is adjustable but the choking (more accurately - tightening on the fly / in use-feature) cannot be prevented. I would prefer to fit it and have it fixed in place rather than have variable tightness throughout usage.
Hope this helps 👍
review image review image review image
on 26 February 2014
I have a 2 year old Jack Russell and it hasn't stopped him pulling in the slightest. Very disappointed indeed. Plus the strap that you alter on the back has started to fray and I've not had it long.
on 15 May 2016
This harness has been a saving grace when training my new puppy to heal on lead. It supports the dog around the chest and neck and discourages the dog from pulling each time they are tempted to pull forward. Until I introduced this miracle worker my pup was straining at the neck each time I took her for a walk, and no amount of training seemed to relieve her tendandcy to pull. My vet recommended this particular marvel and it's worked perfectly. The pup has already outgrown her small version, this new medium harness now fits perfectly.

It's also a good fit with all the dog's coats, with the lead connecting to the harness midway down the spine - meaning the lead slips through the opening on the back of the coat, allowing me to use the harness in all weather.

It took our new hound only a few attempts to get the harness on (slipping over the head and then passing each leg through to create a tight fit around legs, chest and front. After a while she would sit at the door, wait for the first loop through her head and then start to lift her feet one at a time to complete the process. Great! Even my father, who had never fitted a harness before, did it first time (although the dog was patient with him).

Even though the dog is well lead trained now, I still use it (along with another harness) as it's still comfortable to handle her when out and about. I would highly recommend this to anyone thinking of starting out on a harness, or needs help training their dog on the lead (especially if your dog is a puller). It's safe, it doesn't harm your dog in any way (my vet explained how it works) and offers you a secure way to walk your dog.

The harness, unlike many others on the market, also includes a 1ft lead that comes from the harness, which you attach your lead (thereby giving your lead an extra 1ft), but it does mean that it allows you extra room for your dog if you use a seatbelt connector, allowing your dog to move with a little more freedom (but still keeping them safe). It took my dog a few goes in the park to get used to the attached lead part, which obviously bounces down her side) but now she completely ignores it. It's also helpful when trying to grab onto my pooch when she's reluctant to get back on the harness. Overall, it's an excellent purchase (so much so I carried on with the brand into her later puppy stage after her growth spurt).

I aim to provide honest and helpful reviews, if you feel this has helped you then please click the 'yes' button below.
review image
on 20 October 2011
cant belive i didnt order this sooner, money well spent, i have a very strong labrodor who loves to run around but hates going back on his lead, so all he does is pull, but with this harness, it makes lead walking more enjoyable, would recomend this to anyone, it isnt nice to keep pulling dogs by there neck so this is the best way
on 6 November 2013
Brilliant little item. Works perfectly and slips on the dog very quickly and easily...once you get the hang of how to do it. Very safe, simple to use and, so far, very strong. It also washes and dries very quickly too.
Delivery was also effected quickly.
on 23 November 2011
excellnt product, good quality, works well with my dog, would recommend it to all my friends. maid my life a lot easier walking my pet.
on 6 February 2012
I love these harnesses. My Staffies really pull when on the lead and its difficult for me to walk them as i'm 7 months pregnant and have a very large bump and little balance but with the harnesses they dont pull at all. It's lovely to be able to take my doggies for long walks again instead of relying on my chap to do it all the time. :)