5.0 out of 5 stars Nice "bang per buck"
This processor is unlocked, meaning that it can be overclocked if you wish, via settings such as the multiplier in the BIOS.

I am just using the stock heat-sink and fan which comes with the CPU. I am using it overclocked at 4.1 GHz (20.5 x 200 Mhz), which is probably a sensible limit, until I fit more substantial cooling.

Once overclocked it...
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by Mr. D. Marsh

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Used for 2 months had to return to AMD for replacement due to faulty memory controller
Published 4 months ago by Stevieb

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice "bang per buck", 4 Feb 2012
Mr. D. Marsh (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - 3.60GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo (Personal Computers)

Once overclocked it provides plenty of processing power relative to the price paid.

The processor is designed to automatically throttle, meaning it will run at a slower speed on lighter tasks, such as web browsing. This saves energy, and produces less heat. The speed will throttle up again, if a more demading task is started.

The included heat-sink fan is nice and quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent processor for a budget build, 9 Mar 2012
A I (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I have built a new budget system that I use for photo work, video editing and gaming. The important bits are: Antec 300 case, Gigabyte M68MT-S2 motherboard, AMD Bulldozer FX 4100 Black Edition, 8GB of Corsair Vengence 1600MHx RAM, EVGA GTX 550Ti Graphics, OCX 60GB SSD for primary drive and 4 x 1TB disks for storage. There are a number of other small modifications such as a card reader, fan controller and Arctic Freezer 13 heatsink and a 650w power supply.

I currently have this overclocked and the CPU is running as a steady 4.2GHz. The upgraded heatsink ensure that at idle I'm generally getting sub 20oC CPU temps and even when stress testing I've never had the processor above 36oC and that is with a 0.125v increase in the CPU voltage.

I love my new computer and I love the Bulldozer FX-4100 as it really does perform well and I run all games on max settings. I'm not playing things like Metro 2033 or Battlefield 3 but I play Starcraft on Ultra settings and get 59fps even during intense battles and it doesn't even break a sweat.

For the price I would recommend this chip, especially if you intend to overclock it as that will bring the performance up a lot. It won't compete with the newest and greatest the Intel have to offer in the benchmark tests but real world use it seems to be great and I look forward to a good few years of enjoyment to come.

I would definitely recommend an upgraded heatsink if you are overclocking this chip and be aware that it is a very large piece of silicon indeed and is bigger than the base plate on most coolers but that is not an issue. Use a good thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works eventually, 15 Dec 2011
Be prepared for bios update but works very nicely when sorted. Big improvement on athlon dual core.
Please support the only alternative to Intel while AMD lasts. You will be sorry if you don't. It may be slightly slower but much cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more stars to give... (plus 2 Updates), 3 April 2012
I finally got my new Bulldozer CPU; I am blown away, and this is why:

With my previous CPU, the Phenom II x4 965, I had considerable heating issues in-which at stock with four cores running, I would reach over 70c, which of course isn't good, so I resorted to tweaking the Vcore, disabling cores, and lowering the frequency, which is also not good. I'm aware that Phenom IIs apparently get rather hot, and I can second this, and some!

This amazing piece of technology runs at an overclocked 4.4GHz (stock Vcore) at an insane temperature of (whilst the fans* on max) 6c idle and 37c on max-load! I have of course disabled Cool 'n Quiet, along with AMD's new Turbo feature, which is to ensure the OC is stable and safe for the CPU.

I was blown away when I noticed the amazing temperatures, and currently, while typing this, with all my fans (including the CPU fan) are at an absolute bare minimum, my CPU is at 10c. I have no fancy water cooling device as you'd expect from these temperatures, but instead I have a mix of Arctic Silver 5 paste well applied and an impressive (yet useless for the Phenom II) Arctic Freezer 13.

I can't enough recommend this AM3+ socket CPU. This CPU will last me for many more years to come and shan't be a bottleneck for a long, long time.

The details of my OC are as follows:

Turbo OFF.
FSB at 200
VCore STOCK (1.32v roughly, I think it's at)
Multiplier at 22x

* My fans are:

Front = 120mm Silence red LED
Side: Antec TriCool red LED 120mm
Rear: Arctic 80mm
Bottom: Syth 100mm

I usually run them at barely audible speeds, and can even get away with turning them all off, and this includes the CPU fan, while getting what I believe could max at 65c, however it only seemed to reach 58c when I did a quick test, earlier

I cannot believe that at 95w this CPU is able to perform so flawlessly. I have read various reviews and comments about this processor, claiming it's a "Faildozer" and that the Phenom II x4 965 is much better; I can comfortable and amusingly tell you this is an absolute load of... stuff.

Well done, AMD!

Side note:

For me, my high-end games and Windows 7 32-bit OS all perform far better than the Phenom II did. I also am aware that this CPU could likely reach 4.7GHz, however I'm very satisfied with what it's currently at.

UPDATE:

I now run at 4.5GHz and 1.40 Vcore with no stability issues as of yet; I've been running the rig like this for a good few days. Currently my CPU is 11c and the heatsink is 27c. I no longer have control of my CPU fan, so it gets ever so slightly hotter, but still maxes at around 50-55c depending on room temperature of course, and this is without the front, rear, and now two Antec 120mm side panel fans. All in all, this CPU is still, IMO, the best AMD CPU you could buy for gaming.

UPDATE:

Yet another update, and still absolutely loving this CPU. Some things I should point out for the techie nuts amongst us:

I overclocked to 4.5GHz on the last update, I notice.. well, I recall doing that, but unforunately it was NOT stable, but it was almost stable, however almost stable still isn't stable, and therefore I gave up on that clock, but I now run at 4.2GHz and have done for.. God, IDK how long.. a great many months! [: Yes, this time it is actually stable. lol I think I understand why it wasn't stable before; I think it was a mixture of lacking in the voltage department, and the memory speed was set too high, putting strain on the CPU and failing the OC. I have 4.2GHz now, but my 1600MHz is taken down to something liek 1566MHz, which is still pretty damn decent, so I ain't complaining.

I still recommend this CPU? Hellz yes, the price is incredible for what you get. I can nail games like Skyrim, and.. well.. can't be bothered to list a load of games, but the point is, that it performs well. :P

Here's quoted from a post of mine elsewhere online:

"Tested with Prime95, and without my two 120mm Antec side fans (only rear and CPU running as normal) the temp' seems to sit at 64.8c and with the side fans going all out, the temp dropped to 51.3c and wouldn't budge - that's a massive total of 13.5c that those two fans took off the CPU!

I'm using a 95w CPU, the 4100 running @4.2GHz x4. Keep in mind this is a decent overclock from 3.6GHz to 4.2GHz. Motherboard is the ASUS 990FX, which may have a lot to do with the stable and awesome overclock.

Moral of the story? Don't underestimate the power of side panel fans and a chunky aftermarket cooler!"

I'm thinking I could probably easily add a lil voltage and stuff to boost the output of this CPU even more, courtesy of this motherboard (it's ace with OCing), but honestly, there's just absolutely no need. I know there's a lot better out there, but it's probably a moot point given what this already does with all the modern games, and at such a damn good price, I just can't ignore that amazing price - :o now £74 with free delivery! I would love to see what I could get out of the FX4170, as I have a feeling I could easily get that to 5GHz. [: I will perhaps upgrade at some point, but it's not exactly needed anytime soon. lol

So yeah.. IDK what else to say.

Buy it. :P It rawks, and it'll be kind to your purse/wallet.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD wins Value Choice again, 23 Dec 2011
Balbinder Mahal "Bal UK" (Bal UK) - See all my reviews
AMD regains the value option with 4100 FX and for those with a very limited budget it makes a reasoned and rational choice.

Firstly, it is cheaper then the alternative 2120, but offers an extra 3%-5% on average for performance.

Secondly, you're not paying for wasted GPU silicon on the CPU when you've got a proper graphics cards for gaming!

Thirdly, unlike the 2120 this CPU can be overclocked up to 4.6 GHz (4 GHz without voltage increases). An easy gain of 27% in performance, which puts it ahead of 980B, which costs an extra 60% over the 4100 price!

Fourthly, Windows 8 2012 release will see an extra 2%-10% gain in performance through more even threading between cores of workloads. This CPU family architecture is specifically designed for servers which have software with even spreads of workloads for the available cores. Desktop PC's tend to have a lot of software that pile workloads unevenly onto cores. Microsoft and AMD are working together to ensure the new OS has more equal loadings, which is where this extra performance will come from.

Mine's is running 4.2 GHz with no problems. No problems with video games with my Asus motherboard. However, I don't use Steam (I do have an account) and GameStop (formally Stardock Impulse) has not shown any of these problems.

A good value choice during these hard times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goooood, 4 Mar 2012
Ok so far I haven't done anything really to stretch the processor apart from playing Assassins Creed 2. On Windows ratings it got 7.2 out of 7.9 so it's quite good. :D don't listen to the people calling the FX series "faildozers" the technology is advanced so when the software catches up it will be even faster with new updates. BUY ME!!! make sure you enable turbo core otherwise you are not getting the full potential of this cpu dont worry this is not overclocking and wont mess your cpu up :)

UPDATE

Ok so you can overclock it on stock cooler to 4.2ghz just using the bios features. I have played a wide variety of other games now and they all work completely fine with this cpu

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and Tested, 10 Aug 2012
i bought this expecting a reasonably cheap quadcore light gaming processor but light was not this in any way. i originally was going to sell the computer i built but with this processor in it i have decided to sell my other computer and keep this one (my other computer was an old flimsy i5 build).

FPS wise this runs pretty much all games at ultra or high depending on your graphics card. In my case a nvdia gtx 670.(All games on ultra graphics settings)

Total War Shogun 2: 60-80fps

Battlefield 3: 40-60

Crysis 2: 60-80

Skyrim(with high-rez textures): 120-140

Minecraft(all settings on high qualty) 200-240 (on performance settings): 500-750

All in all i am very impressed and would very highly recommend this processor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Processor and Great Value, 4 April 2012
Just fitted this into my motherboard also purchased from Amazon and it works great. This was my first self build PC and I opted for this as it suited my motherboard. Was delivered on time and easily fitted with clear and concise instructions. There was not much difference on my PC than the Dual Core AMD Processor I had previously on my old machine so not giving it 5 stars as I thought the difference would be very noticible. Just done a CPU speed test and its showing 3.723 mhz so working just as it should.
AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - 3.60GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, 13 Mar 2013
Great value for such a nice cpu, don't be hesitant about buying this thinking it won't have enough juice for gaming etc as it does, just not ultra performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMD Bulldozer FX-4100, 1 Oct 2012
Package contained processor and fan/ heatsink unit with pre-applied thermal interface material. Only criticism is that the Amazon sales' specification should have made all this clear. Would have saved unnecessary purchase of interface paste and uncertainty as to whether the fan was provided.
Accompanying multilingual leaflet provided adequate pictorial instructions for installation.
Installation on an Asus motherboard and connection of fan cable were surpisingly easy and completed before I realised it.
So far the unit is trouble-free and working as prescribed.