5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money.
Published on 29 May 2012 by dcppp

1.0 out of 5 stars fantastic processor, beats any intel processor i have ever ...
After a few months of use, the processer just stopeed. It did not do anyhting.
Published 12 months ago by Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money., 29 May 2012
This review is from: AMD FX-Series FX-8120 Black Edition Eight Core Processor (3.10 GHz, 16MB Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed) (Personal Computers)
If you love looking at synthetic benchmarks and spend a lot of time debating the difference between 73 and 77 fps in a game, or 5 seconds difference in a 2 hour rendering, and have more money to spend, you are probably better off with an intel something. This cpu is not "THE" speed demon. Is plenty fast to do everything you need to do with a pc nowadays, heavy gaming, rendering, browsing, compiling, zipping, whatever... in some cases (optimized sw) it can top intel's more expensive stuff (again, by the all important split second margin.), and relative performance will probably increase over time, as sw becomes more parallel, but I digress. The whole FX platform is cheaper than the intel "I" equivalent, and by a good margin. Just try to compare fx 8120 + sabretooth 990fx or any other medium-high quality motherboard with the i2500k + equivalent, and you will see what I am talking about. So if price/performance is the most relevant criteria to make your choice, go with this chip, you will not be disappointed. I am a software developer and I work with 3d (3dsmax) and at my workplace I have a comparable (but much more expansive) xeon e3-1230 based workstation-with an ssd drive etc. and, although I know the xeon should smoke the fx, I have to say that my machine (fx 8120, sabretooth 990 fx, 8gb corsair vengance 1600, crucial m4 256 gb)feels snappier. I am not a big overclocker but I am running my at 3.9 ghz (by raising the multiplier only) with no problem whatsoever on a scythe ninja 3b. I could push it way further but I don't feel the need, actually the chip was perfectly fine at stock speed, but I like a bit of fiddling :) . I can game pretty much everything at fullhd resolution with high/max details (radeon 6950). Again, if budget is a constraint but you still care about performance, buy this cpu and use the money that you are saving against an intel-comparable solution to get an ssd drive, which is simply the single biggest performance boost that you can have on a pc. The only real disadvantage is the higher power consumption 95 vs 125w TDP, but unless you run your pc as a 24/7 server with high loads, it would not be a problem. So not a perfect product, but a very good one to me. 4 stars, plus one for the very aggressive pricing, cool packaging and to support the competition, which lead only to benefits for the final customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Feb. 2012
Bought this to replace my athlon x3 cpu. and wow what a difference..Combined with my 16gb ram and gtx550ti it helped finish of an amazing gaming machine. Handles the hardest tasks with ease, including 3d rendering. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and good value cpu, 19 Feb. 2012
Iain Cameron "m2uk" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Got this a few weeks ago and has handled everything i've gave it with no slow down- i've built this with a as rock extreme3 motherboard, 16gb ram and a hd 6870. not seen any slow down in any games i've gave it either. Don't understand some of the negatave reviews i've seen for this, why spend more when this does everything you could want

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price Outstanding, 28 Jun. 2012
Did some research and for the price and my budget seemed the best option..... and it was!

If you are going to OverClock I suggest you don't use the stock fan in the tin get a proper "chiller" and don't forget (suggest) Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste

I am using the AMD OverDrive software to overclock it's gone from a 3.1mz to 3.9mz without any trouble at all and with no voltage increase (voltage I believe increases heat and wear and tear)
I will after some "research" copy the setting straight in to the Bios but as I was rebuilding a new rig so doing "baby steps" lol

I gave myself a £500 ish budget to build a new rig as I already had a Tall Tower and 750PSU from my old set up, so did a little research and came up the combination below. My rig operates at 16 degrees or less as I am doing this so got a cold draft, so this is running superfast super cold and most importantly super quiet, so this is my "gaming rig" played The Secret World (FunCom) on ultra so guessing this should do for at least a year lol

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard (Socket AMD3+, DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, AsRock Instant Flash Technology)

Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Four Module Kit

EVGA 01G-P3-1567-KR Nvidia GTX560Ti DS SuperClocked 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 Graphics Card

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily Overclocks, runs BF3 on Ultra Well, 16 Jun. 2012
AMD are well known for delivering amazing performance at far better prices than Intel, who only have a couple of processors I personally would ever buy (which are still more costly than this beast). Once installed, it easily runs my most graphic-intensive games like BF3, Civilization 5 and The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition maxed out at ~45-80fps, working with a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 and 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ RAM, and renders HD video super-fast. All in all, very impressed and would recommend this easy-to-overclock processor and would say ignore the negative reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but one caveat, 7 Jun. 2012
First: I must admit that I am an AMD fangirl. While I won't defend them to death if they made a card which could burn down your house for a stupid error on their own hardware, I will if I can buy their own products before Intel/Nvidia.

Now, with that said...

While Bulldozer as a whole has had some bad reviews, I myself have had no issues with it, and find this processor to be an improvement over my old four core Phenom. Some programs that I run (albeit not games) which are processor intensive are running much more smoothly, and able to generally complete tasks much quicker, and my system as a whole is more responsive.

However, it can easily run to 40c when pushed, and this is with an aftermarket cooler on it, and before any overclocking. This is however with quite a bit of its power being used, so while to be expected, especially with something this powerful, you shouldn't skim on a cooler for it, go for the Corsair H100 or something similarly power, if you want to attempt to overclock. When not being pushed and idle, it will hover around 20C. The stock cooler can just about hold its own, but you really should get it something better if you do wish to use it properly.

Overall, I'm happy with it, just wish it could run a bit cooler, especially as its max temperature is 60C.

5.0 out of 5 stars CPU is a monster!, 7 Sept. 2012
This CPU is an absolute monster. With the motherboard I chose it overclocked straight off the bat to 4ghz and handles any and all tasks I throw at it with ease! So far for me at idle it has a temperature of 14 degree's and at max load it averages at 40 so even this is good. Would highly recommend it to anyone as it hits a very sweet spot in terms of price/performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for OpenCL, 27 Jun. 2012
I wrote my own Open CL program and had low expectations given ok performance on my I5 and Nvidia Gt540.
I was totally taken back by better performance by the bulldozer using OpenCl than Nvidia.
Way to go AMD ATI.

GPGPU can benefit from this parallel architecture.

5.0 out of 5 stars mr, 31 Mar. 2012
I bought this cpu after reading all the negative reviews and sorry, they are so wrong.
Standard out of the box this cpu performs super and after i overclocked the living hell out of it, even better!
Everything is just blistering fast, even on my cheapo motherboard its stable.
If ya after a cheap but good cpu this is the one, super value for the dosh.

I got this cpu on a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard
Arctic Cooling Freezer X treme Rev2 cpu cooler
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz ramm
and 2 WD Blue HDD's 500GB and 1TB
650Watts power supply

Excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for gaming and rendering ect. At this price it's a steal!, 23 Jun. 2012
I have been a fan of Bulldozer line up since release although it didn't meet the expectations of many but for what I was expecting it performed just perfect as it is great for gaming and doing graphical work such as rendering.

This CPU also comes in with a hefty turbo core feature when enabled this CPU will run @4GHz which is amazing performance considering this is an 8 core CPU with a huge 16MB of cache in total making it the ideal choice for multitasking also.

With the recent price drop on these Bulldozer CPU's (most likely due to the release of the new Intel chips) they are available for a ridiculously low price of £130 here on Amazon and for price to performance (what AMD is best at) this is exceedingly good value for anyone out there wanting a media or gaming PC although due to the price being so low it is only slightly more expensive than some budget CPU's which are in nowhere near the same league as this beast of a CPU.

Thanks for listening to my review and opinions. Feel free to leave a helpful vote if you enjoyed this.