4.0 out of 5 stars Cal Leandros book 1
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars The gruesome twosome!
More of a 3.5 star rating.

The characters are likeable, and the story is unique.

I want to read the next book in the series. The emotion porteyed by the characters is heartfelt and heart-breaking, with humour throughout.

Published 17 months ago by R. Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Cal Leandros book 1, 24 Nov 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Cal and his half brother Niko have been on the run for four years. Cal's father is a Grendel (well that's the name the brothers have given the monsters but I think you'll be surprised when you find out what they really are!) and the Grendels have taken a keen interest in him but the brothers don't know why. Niko is determined to protect his younger brother but it appears that the Gendels have finally caught up with them - can they survive the upcoming battle?

Nightlife has been on my radar for sometime now after hearing about the series from several US bloggers but I'd never quite got around to ordering a US copy. When I found out the series is finally being released in the UK I jumped at the chance to read it. I'm glad that I did and I'm pleased that we don't have too long to wait until the rest of the series will be published over here too (the next 3 books will all be available from Berkley UK in 2012).

I haven't read much urban fantasy told from a male perspective before so that made a nice change for me. Cal is a great narrator and I loved his sarcastic sense of humor and the relationship between him and Niko. I have to admit the narration change towards the end of the book threw me for a few pages but it worked well and was a clever way for the author to tell us more about Cal's background and the grendels. I preferred the parts from Cal's point of view though so am glad that it switches back to him at the end.

At 19 years old Cal is a pretty typical teenager in most ways, he does act a little younger than his age at times but that is understandable considering his missing two years (I'm not going to explain that further for fear of spoilers but you'll know what I mean if you read the book). Cal can be quite lazy, he loves sleep and he loves his junk food, he also has a smart mouth that often gets him into trouble but he uses humor as a weapon because of his insecurities. All of his life he has been told by his mother that he is a monster, the only person who has ever loved and cared for him is his brother but knowing who his father is makes Cal terrified that he really is evil. Niko sees the real Cal though and has spent years protecting him and trying to build Cal's confidence in himself. I loved the banter between the two of them, they act like typical brothers - often arguing but the first to jump to each others defence. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them together as the series continues.

The world building is strong and Rob Thurman has put some interesting twists on creatures that we think we already know. Along with the standard creatures you come across in paranormal stories there are a few thrown in that I've not really seen much of before which makes a nice change. I'm interested to find out more about Robin, Georgina, Rafferty and Catcher - it's always good when a series has a strong cast of side characters. Nightlife was a great start to the series and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story takes us in the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this first taste of the Leandros bros., 28 May 2013
My first introduction to the Leandros bros. I fell for them immediately, especially Niko. While Cal is the 'special' one, Niko is even more interesting. I just love 'big brothers'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to a promising new series, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
What a great set up. Half 'something else' Cal is a narrator who just drags you from one scene you the next and you really don't want to complain. Part jive-assed teenager from hell, where the hell part really isn't metaphorical, and partly just from hell or it's nearby counterpart.

Whatever. Its a fantastic blend of folklore and modernity and I loved it.

There's such a wealth of background to the whole story - not simply Nikos and Cal, but the bizarre world in which they live. So much myth and strange tales. Darkness beyond the normal world.

It's just magical.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed to connect, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
No, this isn't a message about your WiFi failing!

As much as I had hoped that I'd found another series of UF to keep me occupied I'm afraid to say I won't be reading on in this series.

The book itself is fine, the plot is fine, the characters are fine. And that's the problem. They were all so paperthin and uninspired that I failed utterly to care one iota what happened to any one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 22 Mar 2013
linda green is an excellent author
i have not read any of her books that arent excellent cant put down kinds of reads
i hightly recommend this book and all of the other series she has

4.0 out of 5 stars For your own good, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Brotherhood is a strong bond. New York has two worlds, human and monsters, what happens when the two collide? Cal knows better than most.

3.0 out of 5 stars The gruesome twosome!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
More of a 3.5 star rating.

The characters are likeable, and the story is unique.

I bought this book because I was looking for something similar to the series of Supernatural on tv. The relationship between the brothers seems so real that the author could be writing about actual people and situations that she has witnessed with her own eyes, although a lot of the brothers' situations are very much in the realms of urban fantasy, and even dark fantasy towards the end of the book.

I can't quite bring myself to give this book 4 stars, but it's very close to it. Considering it's the author's debut novel, this is some amazing stuff. It's just not lyrical or flowing in the way I love.

However, the storyline and the characters are a work of brilliance.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series. From the star ratings and reviews on 'Goodreads', it seems that the books just keep getting better. I can't wait to get immersed in Cal and Niko's world again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginning for a new supernatural style book series, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I came across this series whilst browsing Amazon, and after reading the synopsis of the first novel, nightlife, decided that the series sounded a lot like the TV series supernatural. Being a big fan of the TV series I decided to purchase the first book, and see how I got on. Very quickly I realised that while there were similarities, in that it dealt with two brothers, who despite occasional tension between them would do anything for each other. And of course it deals with the supernatural. However that is where the similarites end. This isn't your typical series where evil is hunted down simply because it's bad. The brothers are on the run, and have no such illusions about taking out the bad guys. Quite often the protagonists find themselves turning a blind eye to the deeds of some of the creatures they find themselves working alongside, indeed on occasion allied with, and this is definitely not a bad thing.

The novel revolves around two brothers, Cal and Niko. Cal, or Caliban to give him his full name (some readers will instantly spot the reference, for any who don't it is quickly explained) has a human mother, and an Auphe father. It is him that narrates the novel to us, and shares plenty of his bitter and pessimistic attitude with the reader. His one liners quite often put a smile of my face, and it's his narration that is one of the highlights of the series. I won't say any more for fear of giving some of the story away, but they are on the run from the Auphe. Cal himself has plenty of luggage when it comes to being half monster.

Another resounding success for the series were the descriptions of the various creatures they come across, Boggle (the less I say the better, for want of spoiling the surprise) and Abbagor, a troll who they go to for information, in particular. The description of the troll conjured some very vivid images in my head, and I felt this was a really unique outlook on trolls. And the Auphe, the main bad guys in this novel, and the bane of Cal and Niko's lives, are a fantastic creation. Very, very scary creatures indeed. Again, I don't want to give too much away.

There are plenty of other, smaller characters introduced in this first novel. Robin Goodfellow (Again, some readers will instantly spot the reference) and Promise are two of the more prominent characters in this novel. Neither are human, but could be described as on the side of the good guys. Both have their own past and agenda's, which is only hinted at.

This is a great introduction to a series, plenty of interesting characters who have their own stories and agenda's to be revealed at a later date. It has its own unique mythology, a lot of the creature concepts are new and clever takes on old legends. Cal has plenty of attitude and comes out with a lot of funny one liners.

As a little extra point, this novel doesn't take itself too seriously. It is fun, and an enjoyable romp through New Yorks seedier side. Highly recommended for fans of urban fantasy. I can't wait for the next entry in the series. A very promising entry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I liked the premise of the book, of the two brothers together, etc, however I found myself looking for a "teen read" label of some description.
The narrative is very energetic and informative, but to my mind not particularly mature. I did like the world that I found myself in, although the plot and the information downloads seemed a bit simplistic. But then again, it's horses for courses with fiction, so I recommend you try the free sample and see what you think!

Nightlife (A Cal Leandros Novel)
3.99