4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bargain camcorder!
Published 19 months ago by andy.b.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in most respects let down by poor autofocus
Bought this camera because (almost alone among it's contemporaries) it allows the use of plug-in microphones. This is brilliant as you get good quality audio from a cheap microphone.

It is compact, light, easy to use and (apart from the autofocus) produces good pictures.

Published 22 months ago by John Hardy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bargain camcorder!, 18 Dec 2012
andy.b. (Elswick,Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
The previous reviewers are right in what they say so I'm not adding much here.I got this camcorder for 129 at Argos on the 15th Dec 2012,it is compact,feels well built,it is light and easy to use.It does not have a plethora of features(which I find quite refreshing these days!)but allows you to shoot decent quality hi-def pictures in 1080p,and,in lesser qualities should you have the need.It takes decent quality 5mp stills,and courtesy of some digital trickery,16mp stills,but the 5mp setting is best,however when using the zoom, in still shots, all my pictures came out blurred due to camera movement when the "shutter" button was pressed,but when no zoom was used my photos were fine!In good daylight you will get good moving images but don't expect the auto-focus to be lightning quick,but what the hell,this is an entry level camcorder after all,my high end Nikon slr's(not professional ones I might add!) have never been lightning fast on auto focus either,quick yes,but not that quick;so you have to be realistic in your expectations here.
As for night shooting/low light well,again,you need to be realistic here.The front mounted lamp provides some illumination,a little,but not a lot.The "digital" lamp uses available light and enhances it,somewhat like night-vision cameras,so expect grainy images.You will not get daylight quality images at night using any camera unless you have a tripod and slow shutter speeds,digital onboard trickery in some camera systems gives you good night time hand held shots but image depth can be lacking,and how much you spend can dictate the quality of night time photography just as much as it can in daylight photographic specialisms.
Finally..sound!Tiny little budget microphones cannot record high quality audio;one reviewer here says the sound is "tinny" on playback,I disagree.If he said it wasn't stunning I would agree!However,playing audio back on my home cinema 7.1 system (consisting of a combination of mordaunt short,bose and cambridge audio speakers)I would describe sound as adequate,but thin and lacking bass qualities;invest in a seperate microphone system if it's important.
I plan to but since this camera lacks a shoe I'm not sure as yet which would be a good buy.
All in all this is a decent camera for getting started or for casual use,and it won't break the bank!!It comes with a carry pouch,usb and hdmi cables,charger and an easy to use web based uploader and editing software...which is nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars MIND-BLOWING!!!!!, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
This Camcorder Is AMAZING!!! I bought it from Argos a few days ago and...WOW!!! That's all i can say!!! The design is EXCELLENT!! It Feels REALLY REALLY nice in your hand and the quality of the materials used is outstanding!! It includes everything you need in the box apart from a tripod, but no camera comes with a tripod so that's fine. It comes with the following:

-The Camcorder Itself With A HandStrap(OBVIOUSLY)
-A Remote Control, That's Right, A Remote Control
-A Carry Case With A NeckStrap
-Software
-Manuals and Starters Guides
-Plug, USB Plug & HDMI Cable
-Lens Cover
-Cleaning Cloth

The Quality Is VERY Good!! and it has 23x Optical Zoom/120x Digital Zoom!!
It is also touchscreen and has a video trimming software on the camcorder making it easy to remove parts of a camera that are not needed!
I DEFINATELY Believe It Is Worth The Price, But If You Can, You Should Buy It From Argos As It Is 149.99 so you save about 14.99 and also Argos will give you a 10.00 giftcard for spending over 100.00 and you can get a larger carry case or 4GB SD card for less money. HOWEVER I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT YOU BUY YOUR SD CARD FROM AMAZON.CO.UK AS IT IS 20.00 FOR A 32GB SD CARD WHICH IS VERY GOOD AS IT USED TO COST ALMOST 100.00!!!!!!

THANKS FOR READING!! GET IT...YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camcorder let down by a pitiful microphone, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
The camera is a brilliant purchase and the quality you get from it is pretty insane considering the price. However, the microphone is very lacklustre and leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds extremely tinny and has warranted the purchase of an external microphone for the camera when I am using it to record voices as well as footage.

I also found it isn't great at low light situations so make sure you have adequate lighting when using the device as it appears very grainy under these conditions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in most respects let down by poor autofocus, 14 Sep 2012
John Hardy (Redditch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)

The autofocus is hopeless however. I filmed a car moving towards me and a tent flapping in the wind and in both cases it kept popping in and out of focus

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Budget HD Camcorder, 6 July 2013
Max Zen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
After reading a lot of negative reviews of this camcorder, I was hesitant to buy it. However, it did have the basic functions that I wanted such as the ability to attach an external microphone and the slow motion as well as time lapse functions. The optical and digtal zoom specs were pretty good too. And more importanly, it didn't have all the gimmicks that camcorders in the 200-400 range had..such as wifi etc. I decided to take a chance given the affordable price. I am glad I did. I have tried the camcorder out and it's really incredible. I love the basic 3 inch touch screen functions and the camera comes with a huge amount of accessories. Okay, the lens isn't like a Sony Carl Zeiss or Panasonic high-end Leica lens...BUT..the lens is pretty good as are the specs which come close to your basic Sony HD camcorder and you are getting a camera for a fraction of the price. As people have previously mentioned, the sound quality cuold be much better. I use an external microphone and it's made a huge difference. Overall, I don't think this camcorder deserves all the negative reviews it has received. I am glad I bought this Toshiba as it delivers a lot for the price..AND it is free from all the gimmicky features that come with more expensive brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Camcorder, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
This is a fab little camcorder. For the price it is very good. Only thing that could be much better is the microphone, as sound doesn't always get picked up.

This item came with it's own bag in the box. I had messaged the seller asking if they sold a bag and I was quoted for one. Would have thought the seller would have said there was in the box.

3.0 out of 5 stars CAMILEO X400, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
I honestly thought this camera was amazing! I bought it for a bargain (80) off an official eBay discount direct shop. I honestly could not complain about anything about this camera, except for the sound. The sound was disgraceful when i bought it, i wasn't sure whether it was just faulty or the camera in general just didn't have a good audio system. This probably had to be one of the most frustrating things for, so i wrote to the ebay shop and they confirmed that i the camera was tested before dispatch and if faulty i could get a refund/exchange from toshiba. The camera is good for it's money, but make sure you only buy it if it has a guaranteed money back type warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good camcorder !!!, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
It is compact, light, easy to use and (apart from the auto-focus) produces good pictures.The Quality Is VERY Good!! and it has 23 x Optical Zoom/120 x Digital Zoom!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough., 21 Feb 2013
Christopher Page "Snowlock Dark" (Brockworth Glos UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
Super little Camcorder where i had little cause for any major concerns,having read many a review.However in first major test of ability,where i was filming my son playing tennis in normal daylight conditions.The autofocus,there is no manual option,just refused to focus at short distances.It continually went in and then out,but strangely did not have the same problem when using the zoom.

This was no doubt as a result of a one off dodgy unit but it put off my experience and makes it difficult for me to be more enthusiastic.

However,Seller was magnificent when dealing with the return in giving full refund of my original costs and full costs in returning item.Kept in contact and when I had issue around delivery was very professional.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to ease the 'blurry' issues!, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo X 400 black (Electronics)
I agree with the comments so far. However, I have found that if you pause the recording immediateley after pressing the record button (pause kicks in after about 4 seconds)then generally speaking when you unpause and start recording the blurriness seems to be less obvious. I know this is something that you shouldn't have to do as Toshiba should have created a camcorder that has a good focus regardless of cost, say like the Sony Handycam of old. I was thinking about returning mine to currys/pcworld but my budget was limited and alternatives seemed to be too expecsive. I'll stick with it but next time I'm going high end - it's the only option if you want really great recordings. If anyone from Toshiba is reading this then please sort out the next generation of camcorders before you place them on the market.

Toshiba Camileo X 400 black