4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant

2.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasts
Published 5 months ago by minornine

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan. 2013
P. Hume (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finis Tempo Trainer Pro - Pace Clock and Stopwatch (Sports)
Let me start by saying that although I've had this only two weeks, if I lost it I'd buy another tomorrow. I'm 50 years old and have been competing in triathlon for about 5 years and although I think my swimming style is ok my swimming times are just average - 1:09 for an IronMan. This year I want to get it right so after reading the excellent Swim Smooth book I bought the Tempo Trainer. Along with the book, this little gadget has done more for me in the last two weeks than I could ever have done on my own. ALL of the guess work is removed and you can really push yourself through the sessions. No more starting the intervals too fast then paying for it later on and no more wondering if you're pushing too hard towards the end. My swim times have already started to come down and (unbelievably for me) my previous times now seem too slow. I do have to admit that all of the stats are easier to work out if you have a Garmin swim watch as well so what with the book on top it can be a bit expensive however you don't actually need either. The other thing is, don't expect this little device to work it all out for you. You do have to put yourself through various tests and know about stroke rates etc. but don't let this put you off. Most of the info is on the Swim Smooth web site. Somebody commented that it is uncomfortable under a swim cap. I'll admit that in the wrong place it could be but I find it unobtrusive and the beep is loud and clear without being distracting. The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is that you cannot set a rest interval. So say for instance you want to swim at a pace of 1:40/100m with 20sec rest the Trainer will not take into account the 20sec and will continue into the next interval. You can however press one of the buttons to reset the time just before you push off but for the price it would have been nice not to have to do this (especially as I have to press my watch as well). In summary, this device negates the use of a coach or friend at the side of the pool and I couldn't recommend it enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasts, 13 Jan. 2015
I'm putting up this review after my second Finis Tempo Trainer Pro has just stopped working. The first was replaced for free by Amazon when it croaked after only a couple of months use. The second lasted approximately 6 months of intermittent use but the battery ran low surprisingly quickly (resulting in persistent long beep tones and then/or nothing). In the last week, somehow water has got into the device and it is now kaput.

I don't want to buy another one because of the quality problems, but on the other hand, this device has been great for my training and I'll be worse off without it. I use it either for pacing lengths in a pool (eg. n.n secs/half length) or working on my stroke rate (ie. n strokes per minute).

If the thing was decent quality I'd give it 5 stars - come on Finis, do the right thing and sort it out!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Let this be the drummer in your band, 5 Sept. 2013
S. M. Nottage "suzannenz" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I read other positive reviews and purchased the Pro after realising I probably have the slowest stroke rate per minute in my swim club and feeling like that's causing dead spots in my stroke. I felt I was slower than I need to be, like a cyclist who grinds away in a large gear with low cadence. After 2 years of diligently improving my technique my plateauing speed was frustrating me. Why didn't I think of this years ago!

You'll either love or hate the beeping. I find it relaxing - it focuses on timing for me, just like having a drummer in the band counting time.

Initially I was taking ~47spm in the pool and by the end of my first session with it was up to ~65spm and felt like I was 'sitting higher' in the water when swimming, rather than overgliding as normal. Like the YouTube videos for SwimSmooth recommend, I only increased the spm if my technique held up. I didn't feel any more tired or out of breath. The higher stroke rate stops me trying to 'muscle' through the water - to use a cycling comparison, I now feel like I'm 'spinning'.

I've now used it in two open water races. The first (500m) involved quite a bit of 'argy bargy' with other swimmers and the Pro stayed firmly in place in the nape of my neck under my cap. At the end of the aquathlon, the Pro was still happily beeping away in T1 by my goggles, which made it easy to find. In the second (750m) it was also secure and at ~68spm it kept me focused on not reverting into overgliding as I tired.

I've found I hit my 100m split times better (it's set to beep every 20 seconds [20m pool]) and have gone from struggling to achieve 1:45 / 100m to easily hitting <1:38 / 100 in a week. In O/W swimming I did a 750m lap last night 20 seconds quicker when I increased the spm by 5. Again, didn't feel more tired at the higher stroke rate and felt it kept me consistent and focused throughout.

I use all 3 modes: Mode 1 for warm up (set to 60spm), Mode 2 for sets (set to beep every length) and Mode 3 for open water or swimming with my swim club (set to 65spm - 70 spm) and it's not too hard to change between modes, even when treading water, as long as you're not too long-sighted.

I've also noticed I prefer a higher cadence when neoprened up and swimming in O/W, and a lower cadence when I'm in a pool. My brain is still getting used to my new higher arm turnover and I know I'll revert to overgliding in the short term if I stop using it.

4 stars rather than 5 just because when my pool is busy it's a little hard to hear the beeps when my head is not submerged... but any louder and swimmers around you might start looking for a 'suspicious beeping device'! Also, while it does float, it's tiny in a lake or nearby grass (and set to 'off') and I will attach a brightly-coloured ribbon or similar as it's expensive enough that I don't want to lose it. It would be great if the 'clip' could work with goggle straps or if it came attached to a goggle-type strap so it could hang around your neck / not get lost when not in use. I also like that it turns off after 3 hours.

A tiny downside is that in shorter pools in Mode 2 (to beep at the end of each lap) you can only adjust by a minimum increment of 1 second, e.g. in my 20m pool I set it to beep every 20 seconds (1:40 per 100m) but I now swim at 1:38. But if I change the beep to every 19 seconds I will end up with a 1:35 target, which is a bit of a stretch x8 sets! Not so bad for 100m sets, but for 400m sets in a short pool it could add up...less of a big deal if you swim in 25m or 50m pools. It's now always in my swim kit bag.

Still worth buying, though...unless you compete in my age group in which case there's nothing to see here, thank you ;-).

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, 17 Feb. 2014
M. Jago (UK) - See all my reviews
I've only used this product 5 times and it stopped working this morning. I did see bad reviews before I bought it, but I've liked other Finis products that I have so thought I'd give it a go. It's going to have to go back!

1.0 out of 5 stars great great shame as it really is a great tool, 5 Aug. 2014
Bought this and just over 2 months later with not much use, maybe 12 times in all, it has malfunctioned, in mode 3 the beeps are not working and it goes from one extreme to another, no beeps to constant within the difference of a few strokes per mi ute. Obviously the circuitry has gone wrong.....great great shame as it really is a great tool. Just outside amazon return window so having to go to hassle of contacting manufacturer. Just not good enough for the price and reading through the reviews, it seems there is a small but significant failure on this product, just not good enough for price and hassle of time returning to manufacturer

1.0 out of 5 stars New Tempo Trainer Too quiet - cannot hear while swimming!, 15 May 2015
Just picked up a new Tempo Trainer after my old one died after a year and the volume is so low that I can't hear it while I'm swimming. Out of the water I have to hold it within 10-15cm of my ear just to hear. (My old Tempo trainer was audible from about 5ft). Has anyone else experienced this issue with recent models? I've had it replaced and the replacement was the same. The only way to use it is to have the item over my ear with the swim cap keeping it in place, even then I don't consistently hear it. It's not as if I'm a loud swimmer drowning the sound out either, no sprints and TI method! Be interested to hear if anyone else if having the same issue. just to point out that my previous one would have 5 stars, it's only the volume that's the issue. Hopefully it's a batch issue, my supplier is waiting for confirmation from Finis regarding this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Really Poor, 25 Feb. 2013
Bought this to help with swimming tempo. Prior to buying, I checked out the reviews and noticed that build quality had been raised. In spite of this, I took the view that all manufacturers have a few glitches, probably sorted by now. I regret that now. Complete waste of money - if it gets wet, the audbile beeper ceases to work. Which is kind of the point really. They really neeed to sort out the build quality on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 17 Oct. 2014
Very poor quality. Unit failed after the fifth use. I read the negative reviews before purchase but didn't think a finis product could be that poor. I was wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Finis Tempo Trainer Pro, 5 Jan. 2015
I've had four of these. When they work they are brilliant, but for no apparent reason they do keep failing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average build quality and keeps freezing, 27 April 2013
Occasionally freezes in mode 3 when trying to adjust settings and the only way to reset is remove battery. Poor build quality also means that LCD screen dims when buttons are pressed. Overall not impressed. For a device that retails at £50 RRP I'd expected more.