4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Really Poor
Published 18 months ago by stuart finnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan 2013
P. Hume (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finis Tempo Trainer Pro - Pace Clock and Stopwatch (Sports)
Let me start by saying that although I've had this only two weeks, if I lost it I'd buy another tomorrow. I'm 50 years old and have been competing in triathlon for about 5 years and although I think my swimming style is ok my swimming times are just average - 1:09 for an IronMan. This year I want to get it right so after reading the excellent Swim Smooth book I bought the Tempo Trainer. Along with the book, this little gadget has done more for me in the last two weeks than I could ever have done on my own. ALL of the guess work is removed and you can really push yourself through the sessions. No more starting the intervals too fast then paying for it later on and no more wondering if you're pushing too hard towards the end. My swim times have already started to come down and (unbelievably for me) my previous times now seem too slow. I do have to admit that all of the stats are easier to work out if you have a Garmin swim watch as well so what with the book on top it can be a bit expensive however you don't actually need either. The other thing is, don't expect this little device to work it all out for you. You do have to put yourself through various tests and know about stroke rates etc. but don't let this put you off. Most of the info is on the Swim Smooth web site. Somebody commented that it is uncomfortable under a swim cap. I'll admit that in the wrong place it could be but I find it unobtrusive and the beep is loud and clear without being distracting. The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is that you cannot set a rest interval. So say for instance you want to swim at a pace of 1:40/100m with 20sec rest the Trainer will not take into account the 20sec and will continue into the next interval. You can however press one of the buttons to reset the time just before you push off but for the price it would have been nice not to have to do this (especially as I have to press my watch as well). In summary, this device negates the use of a coach or friend at the side of the pool and I couldn't recommend it enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Really Poor, 25 Feb 2013
Bought this to help with swimming tempo. Prior to buying, I checked out the reviews and noticed that build quality had been raised. In spite of this, I took the view that all manufacturers have a few glitches, probably sorted by now. I regret that now. Complete waste of money - if it gets wet, the audbile beeper ceases to work. Which is kind of the point really. They really neeed to sort out the build quality on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training tool, 28 Feb 2014
I am currently 're-learning' freestyle after picking up a lot of bad habits and hitting a plateau with my swimming, and this little tool is a must have as it helps with rhythm, timing and also you can adjust it up and down for warm ups, warm downs, intervals, and generally to get your stroke rate up/down to the optimum. I have fins and paddles too, but hardly get chance to use those unless I'm the only one in the lane, whilst this, you can tuck under your swim cap and use it anywhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, 17 Feb 2014
M. Jago (UK) - See all my reviews
I've only used this product 5 times and it stopped working this morning. I did see bad reviews before I bought it, but I've liked other Finis products that I have so thought I'd give it a go. It's going to have to go back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempo Trainer, 11 Feb 2014
If you have an issue with pacing on longer distances, then this is just the thing for you. You can also work out what stroke rate works for you (speed V's effort).

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks, 4 Feb 2014
swiftly sent, well packed, and as described. good price and has proven to be highly useful for swim training already

5.0 out of 5 stars best piece of swim kit, 12 Jan 2014
I train by myself so using my tempo trainer is just like having a coach pushing me on. Ive just done a 10wk plan where I increased my speed by 0.15sec per 100 each week. It worked a treat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, very poor manufacturing, 29 Nov 2013
I bought this wetronone on recommendation from my swimming coach. i'm training to swim the English Channel and wanted to embed a better sense of my own rate when I stroke. Without doubt this gadget helps. The trouble is it breaks. Easily. My first one broke within a week of using it- and let's be honest all it does is sit under your swimming hat - and Amazon replaced it for free. Two month later after steady, but again hardly rough-and-tumble use, the replacement stopped working also and now only makes odd squeaks and hisses unrelated to any timing. It's a shame. A great concept but poorly executed. Finis should do better.

1.0 out of 5 stars great great shame as it really is a great tool, 5 Aug 2014
Bought this and just over 2 months later with not much use, maybe 12 times in all, it has malfunctioned, in mode 3 the beeps are not working and it goes from one extreme to another, no beeps to constant within the difference of a few strokes per mi ute. Obviously the circuitry has gone wrong.....great great shame as it really is a great tool. Just outside amazon return window so having to go to hassle of contacting manufacturer. Just not good enough for the price and reading through the reviews, it seems there is a small but significant failure on this product, just not good enough for price and hassle of time returning to manufacturer

3.0 out of 5 stars This one works!, 9 Nov 2013
Kevin Morgan (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the third of these I've had... and the first one that is waterproof. I use my latest one a lot and it's a great help when pacing long swims. But the design is crap! It would be so simple to design it to stay attached to a goggle strap, but in fact it has come off three times in less than a month. Under a swim cap works fine though I usually don't wear one... but that makes more tedious to adjust.