4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 16 Jan. 2013 by P. Hume

Published 3 months ago by Donal Buckley

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan. 2013
P. Hume (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finis Tempo Trainer Pro - Pace Clock and Stopwatch (Sports)
Let me start by saying that although I've had this only two weeks, if I lost it I'd buy another tomorrow. I'm 50 years old and have been competing in triathlon for about 5 years and although I think my swimming style is ok my swimming times are just average - 1:09 for an IronMan. This year I want to get it right so after reading the excellent Swim Smooth book I bought the Tempo Trainer. Along with the book, this little gadget has done more for me in the last two weeks than I could ever have done on my own. ALL of the guess work is removed and you can really push yourself through the sessions. No more starting the intervals too fast then paying for it later on and no more wondering if you're pushing too hard towards the end. My swim times have already started to come down and (unbelievably for me) my previous times now seem too slow. I do have to admit that all of the stats are easier to work out if you have a Garmin swim watch as well so what with the book on top it can be a bit expensive however you don't actually need either. The other thing is, don't expect this little device to work it all out for you. You do have to put yourself through various tests and know about stroke rates etc. but don't let this put you off. Most of the info is on the Swim Smooth web site. Somebody commented that it is uncomfortable under a swim cap. I'll admit that in the wrong place it could be but I find it unobtrusive and the beep is loud and clear without being distracting. The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is that you cannot set a rest interval. So say for instance you want to swim at a pace of 1:40/100m with 20sec rest the Trainer will not take into account the 20sec and will continue into the next interval. You can however press one of the buttons to reset the time just before you push off but for the price it would have been nice not to have to do this (especially as I have to press my watch as well). In summary, this device negates the use of a coach or friend at the side of the pool and I couldn't recommend it enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and typical poor Finis electronics manufacturing and lifespan quality, 10 Nov. 2014
Donal Buckley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Finis are an inventive swim accessory company whose products may be divided into two. Excellent and innovative technique training accessories, often unmatched by any other swim company, and electronic swimming products which are united by appalling value for money due to a very high failure rate. The Tempo Trainer is unfortunately another addition to this latter category.

Over years of swimming I had used three of the original Tempo trainers as a valuable tool for threshold swim training but stopped due to their short lifespan. The TT Pro seemed the ideal update, though the "Pro" appellation is seemingly an irritating addition to justify great cost for what all who used the original TT recognised should have always been a feature: the addition to change battery. One could buy an original style only to have the battery go flat within weeks if it had been sitting on a shelf for a while before sale.

However the TT Pro seems to have the same quality control faults as all other Finis products (SwiMP3, GPS Hydro Tracker, original TT). I used it weekly or twice weekly for winter training for a mere three months before the battery went flat. Upon replacing after breaking for summer open water racing season, the unit would only stay powered on for a few seconds. It took quite a while to arrange a replacement from Finis but to be honest I expect no improvement in quality from my many previous poor experiences with Finis.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasts, 13 Jan. 2015
I'm putting up this review after my second Finis Tempo Trainer Pro has just stopped working. The first was replaced for free by Amazon when it croaked after only a couple of months use. The second lasted approximately 6 months of intermittent use but the battery ran low surprisingly quickly (resulting in persistent long beep tones and then/or nothing). In the last week, somehow water has got into the device and it is now kaput.

I don't want to buy another one because of the quality problems, but on the other hand, this device has been great for my training and I'll be worse off without it. I use it either for pacing lengths in a pool (eg. n.n secs/half length) or working on my stroke rate (ie. n strokes per minute).

If the thing was decent quality I'd give it 5 stars - come on Finis, do the right thing and sort it out!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsure, 13 Aug. 2013
If the thing worked it would be really useful. Out of four outings I have managed to get the thing to work once. Most of the time it works at home but conks out in the changing rooms before I even get to the water.

When it does work it is useful. It saves effort trying to time lengths using the pool clock. It also allows you to work on stroke timing which you cannot do with the pool clock.

Once switched off it seems to reset to 1 second and it is quite tedious to re enter the time again if you are timing lengths. On one occassion I think it held the last set time after it was switched off but the thing was so cranky I'm not sure.

I've returned mine hoping that the replacement will be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, 17 Feb. 2014
M. Jago (UK) - See all my reviews
I've only used this product 5 times and it stopped working this morning. I did see bad reviews before I bought it, but I've liked other Finis products that I have so thought I'd give it a go. It's going to have to go back!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product but reliability......, 10 July 2013
As the title suggests the trainer is a great piece of training kit but with the my first tempo trainer it lasted three uses until it acted like the battery was running out. When I changed the battery the trainer wouldn't even turn on. Sent it back to amazon who sent a new one. This has lasted four uses and died the same way.
I can see this as a very handy training add but reliability needs to be sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempo Trainer, 11 Feb. 2014
If you have an issue with pacing on longer distances, then this is just the thing for you. You can also work out what stroke rate works for you (speed V's effort).

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks, 4 Feb. 2014
swiftly sent, well packed, and as described. good price and has proven to be highly useful for swim training already

5.0 out of 5 stars best piece of swim kit, 12 Jan. 2014
I train by myself so using my tempo trainer is just like having a coach pushing me on. Ive just done a 10wk plan where I increased my speed by 0.15sec per 100 each week. It worked a treat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Really Poor, 25 Feb. 2013
Bought this to help with swimming tempo. Prior to buying, I checked out the reviews and noticed that build quality had been raised. In spite of this, I took the view that all manufacturers have a few glitches, probably sorted by now. I regret that now. Complete waste of money - if it gets wet, the audbile beeper ceases to work. Which is kind of the point really. They really neeed to sort out the build quality on this.