4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little box already, but I hope it gets better
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Gary Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes when viewing streaming video
Published on 7 July 2012 by Boydwill

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes when viewing streaming video, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Sony SMPN200 Network Media and Internet Streamer (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this product in January 2012. I has always had a irritating intermittent problem, this has gradually worsened. When viewing streaming video - e.g. BBC iplayer or Lovefilm, streaming pauses for up to a minute before the video continues. The device shows an apparent network problem - network speed drops to almost zero - but the problem is with the device. I have tried viewing the same content on this device, a PC and an iPad simultaneously, using the same WLAN; the Sony device freezes, while the PC and iPad carry on playing content. I have given up trying to watch videos on tis device - I am waiting for a response from Sony.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially a very good product but can be very frustrating., 28 Jan 2012
Peter Stewart "macappin" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
A neat little box which on the surface is easy to set up. Plug in the power connect the HDMI enter your network password and off you go. It gives easy access to BBC iPlayer, Channel 5 player, Love Film and a number of other sources. Here is my first gripe, Sony has set its self up as a gate keeper so you cannot access the ITV or Channel 4 player nor can you access Netflix. These companies have to agree to content partner agreements which may or may not happen.

My second gripe is the difficulty accessing content on your PC or NAS. It has taken me a while to sort out my NAS to ensure I can stream my music and films. I did not have this problem with other PCs on my network. I don't actually know what finally resolved the issue but it is now working. unfortunately Sony support was useless. I also had to set up various approvals on my PC before I could gain access.

The third gripe is that the Sony media software must be set up to search for particular folders. I could not play the films from my PC until I transferred them into the' My Video' folder. I am also still having problems accessing my music videos despite moving them to a video folder. This media player has the potential to be a great product if you are able to work around the difficulties.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little box already, but I hope it gets better, 22 Nov 2011
Gary Williams (London) - See all my reviews
A really easy to set up little media player, which allows us to play youtube, bbc iplayer, channel 5, and subscription services such as Lovefilm and a great free live rock/pop gig site called moshcam, right on our TV. I'm reviewing the service available in the UK here - USA-based machines currently have a lot more streaming services (like Hulu) available to them. There are other services available in the UK such as Berlin Philharmonic digital concert hall etc. The picture and sound really is high quality and glitchless.

I've read that Sony promise to update the player software continuously as new content-providing partner agreements are sewn up. This is good, as the box is currently sorely missing itv player and channel 4's 4OD service, the latter of which which is available on the internet version of youtube, but not via the Sony player - presumably because of rights issues. I would be very surprised if Netflix UK isn't added to the mix when it launches. The player also has a web browser, but that isn't much use as it doesn't have flash or the equivalent software which would allow embedded video on, for example the Guardian website to be streamed on TV.

I would say the SMPN200 is definitely worth the price, even with the slightly limited 'startup' range of content partners at November 2011. I look forward to more content, particularly from other UK broadcasters, becoming available over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a nice little box, 24 Nov 2011
This really is a nice little box. Connect it to the TV with HDMI or composite video leads, not supplied, switch on and scan the TV's inputs to see the OSD. (My Sony Bravia BX300 did not detect the feed automatically.) The OSD looks the same as Sony uses on its TVs so if you have one of those you'll know how it works. Scroll to the network setup and tell it if you are using ethernet or wifi connection; there are automatic and manual options. Once you are connected scroll to the network update setting and download the latest firmware. Then you are ready to play. As well as the on-demand TV channels there is a browser built in but if you wanted to make much use of that you'd be advised to use a bluetooth keyboard - the on-screen keyboard is OK for occasional use, though. Be warned that the browser does not support Flash so that might be a limitation. When it comes to playing your own media the box supports only the most popular formats; it will not play *avi movies, which seems a bit strange to me. The wifi, incidentally does 801.11n but only at 2.4Ghz, not at 5Ghz, which is a shame; it works at the lower frequency but would have more headway if it could do the higher one, too. The remote is nice and dinky but might be too easily lost - consider using an all-in-one remote to control the TV and the streamer together.
All in all, a nice little box, stylish and unobtrusive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Says what it does on the tin, 5 Jan 2012
EmPemm (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I spent ages researching this before finally taking the plunge and ordering it, I hooked it up to my TV today and so far I absolutely love it.

My main goal was to be able to watch the videos I have stored on my external network drive (these are in avi format) and this is exactly what I can do, with the added bonus of iPlayer, love film and You Tube to name but a few of the services on offer.

Setting up was easy, though I did need to buy a HDMI cable separately. All you need do is plug the HDMI cable into the box and TV, plug in the power supply and switch the TV on to the right input. A set-up screen appears when you first switch it on and it takes a couple of minutes if that to complete. The hardest thing was inputting my security code for the Wi-Fi as there is no keyboard but even then it is easy to do, just time consuming if you have a long password. And that was it, once it had connected to the internet I could easily navigate through my video files, access iPlayer, You Tube and Love Film.

After half an hour or so it found a software update was available, having seen warnings online that the latest update stops iPlayer from working I resisted but eventually caved it and allowed the update after the constant reminders. So far I haven't had any issues with the update and have been able to view a couple of things on iPlayer with no problems

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony SMPN200 Network Media and Internet Streamer, 26 July 2012
M. D. Leith - See all my reviews
This unit is, in my view superb and after practice and patience works like a dream! Luckily I am `technically competent'. However though the initial setup was SO simple, to get used to Sony's XCross menu system took about 4 sessions for me. There are other reviews on this site, and for non-techies - read them first! Then perhaps to mine, herewith published ...

First decide whether you want this unit mostly for iplayer or for web browsing, marking favourite sites and the lots of free stuff to view on the unit's video and music search/play.

If you want iplayer a lot, then:

1. Make sure the browser setting (under `options' are the default (ie set to `Standard'). Ie TURN ON JAVA!

2. THEN iplayer DOES work - I've seen any moans in reviews about iplayer not working, in that, you can see the pictures, but it won't DO anything. The problem here is that in browser settings (and yes, I do know that iplayer is not accessed via browser, but I've found that if in browser settings, `Javascript' is OFF, that is precisely the effect you get in (Sony menu) iplayer). This is because without JAVA the button on sites (and iplayer) won't show!

If you don't want iplayer much (I don't), then go into browser settings, set it to `Standard', then JAVA OFF (=Invalid). Web browsing will be quicker, but `buttons' in web pages won't work. (This doesn't cause me much `pain'). Without JAVA you can still view/listen to loads of free stuff under the unit's 'Internet Search'. If a page needs JAVA (few do), then the unit reminds you!

Browser allows `Favourites' and I have set up many. Then set up one of your pages as your `Home Page' (via Browser settings).

Navigating around a web page via the direction buttons takes a bit of practice. Start at the top, work left, then down I find.

One drawback of the unit at the moment is that `Flash' isn't supported - which is why Itvplayer isn't offered. Let's hope for later!

If you are going to use this unit for Internet access a lot (I do), I would recommend also buying the Rii 2.4GHz Wireless Mini PC Keyboard for URL input. This keyboard works perfectly with the Sony unit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuss Free Media Player., 28 May 2012
This is the second unit I've tried. There was nothing physically wrong with the first one, but I returned it under the seller's return policy as, with many of these media streamers, there is more to them than how they work. Often one's decision making is based on media content, and so it was at the time I tried the first unit.

Once I looked beyond BBC iPlayer, Lovefilm, Crackle films, the Berlin Philharmonic Subscription channel, I found a distinct lack of media content of interest to me. The content seemed very much US and Australia centric, and little of UK origin. So, why did I change my mind and subsequently buy it? I'll explain later.

But first, how did it perform and how easy was it to set up? On both accounts, excellently. Simply plugging it in, using an HDMI cable, not supplied, and following the simple instructions, wi-fi connection was established with ease, the only difficulty, if one could call it that, was the slow inputting of my router's password as this is done from a small, but neat, remote, and each character has to be entered using the same method as using phone keys. Once connected, and running, the Sony shows off how good it is in streaming full HD video from the film samples via Lovelfilm and BBC iPlayer when this is available in HD. Standard definition was remarkably good via the upscaled signal passing through the HDMI cable.

Despite the compact nature of the box itself, it can be used with older normal standard definition TV's, either LCD or CRT, as the unit has normal video composite and also component outputs. Therefore there should be no TV with which it can't be used. So, whilst it remains largely connected to my 22" full HD set, I can easily swap it to play via my 36" CRT for standard definition films and content, if I want albeit not to the same quality, by using the slightly higher definition, but not HD, provided by the component connections and not the basic composite.

Now to the reason I changed my mind and decided to buy it, despite for the most part not being media friendly for my tastes, and, oh, I nearly forgot, it doesn't support flash video, although it has a full internet browsing capability.

Since returning the first unit, I discovered the MUBI film channel which, whilst a subscription service, is inexpensive and provides exactly the sort of films I am really interested in. Admittedly, this is a very personal reason for buying this Sony. So this find pushes the unit into the useful category for me.

Virtually all the media streamers come with media content, and it is this that may sway you to a particular product or another. Other than this and the shortcoming of not being able to play Flash content, the Sony can be recommended to anyone who may be particularly apprehensive about the technology and wants a fuss-free set up procedure. But before you decide, check out the other reviews as different aspects of its media content and replaying media capabilities have been discussed and I simply didn't wish to repeat what has been already said in these areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value network media player, 23 Mar 2012
A. Preston (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm using it with a Synology Diskstation which stores all my photos, videos and music. It was very easy to setup. It found the wireless connection immediately and then found the DLNA server without prompting. The quality of the music playback is good as is the image quality on photos and videos. I love the ability to connect directly to youtube and play videos on my TV. BTW I just tried playing video on this last night and although the wireless router is downstairs and the TV upstairs the video streamed flawlessly.

A few things to watch for. Firstly, there is a list of supported media types but not all of these are supported when connecting to a DLNA server. For example it does not play .ma4 and .wma files from a DLNA server (my logitech squeezebox does do this so not sure why the Sony can't) and it does not play .mpg, ,mpeg, mkv, mp4, m4v, m2ts and mts video files from DLNA. This is taken directly from the manual. If you want to use this with a DLNA server I'd suggest making sure that the file types you need are supported. I've had to recode at lot of my music files to mp3 to make them work. It was a bit of a chore but using dbpoweramp you can do an unattended batch convert of files overnight.

The second thing to watch for is HDMI compatibility. I first connected this through an AV amplifier (Denon AVR 4306) using it to switch HDMI to my TV for the picture and the amp for the sound via 5.1. When I first set it all up it worked fairly well, but when I upgraded the firmware on the Sony the connection to the amp immediately failed so I can no longer use the amp to switch video. It does work fine when connected directly to my TV which has a newer version of HDMI, but I was lucky to have a spare HDMI connection available. So if the unit is working in your set up I would say don't upgrade the Sony firmware unless it gives you a feature you absolutely need or fixes a problem you need to have fixed (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

Overall, bearing in mind its limitations and price I think it is great value for money. It's much cheaper than say a logitech squeezebox setup and although it plays less audio types, it plays them well and also supports images, videos and internet streaming content too.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to beat, 6 Jun 2012
Nam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I already own a western digital streamer which works very well for me minus the fact it has no option for Lovefilm!! I decided to invest in this baby. As per usual item delivered when amazon say it's going to be delivered (thank you). It is a small sleek and well designed unit, so if you're a tech geek like me you can win brownie points with the misses!

Ok, it took me five minutes to connect it to my network (via Ethernet), T.V (HDMI) and surround sound (via optical output). It does have wireless but I would not recommend streaming video via wireless that is just asking for trouble, and if you're think of streaming HD video even worst. I would recommend streaming via Ethernet. If like me you don't want to have Ethernet wires all around the house and don't fancy sleeping on the sofa, then invest in a set of home plugs which plugs straight into your mains sockets and uses your home electrical wiring system to transfer data to any room you like. I would highly recommend the Solwise 500AV Home plug with mains pass through absolute bullet proof and work very well. I have had no problems with them and they are very easy to setup.

Once all set up, I was up and running in 5 minutes. YouTube works well; web browsing works well and other streaming sites. Streaming HD from my nas drive is faultless. It never skips or pauses to wait for data. If I rewind or fast forward it never loses itself like a few streamers I have witness do. Internet streaming (BBC iplayer, lovefilm etc.) works very well too. I only have up to 17mbps internet broadband and again no pausing, fast forward and rewind works well too. Music streaming works very well too, no problem there. I have not used or tested the wireless and have no reason to. Wireless should work well with music files.

A few buggy things or school boy errors

1) Setting up lovefilm was a pain and took me a while to figure out what was going on. You have to activate the unit via Sony website first. Then log into lovefilm and activate streaming.
2) Network video streaming. I have a few personal DVD videos that I like to play, the system is not intelligent enough (or I've yet to find a way) to search through a folder I select eg my wedding and play the "dvd file" TS. I have to open the my wedding folder and play the specific file to get the dvd started. Grrrrhh, come on Sony!
3) Browsing/searching, yep you guessed it you have to use the remote to select each character. Grrrrh again. But to be fair its not really a web browser so one is forgiven, but still a pain.

Apart from these bearable bugs, it works very well with my network setup. Overall it's easy to use, looks good and most importantly it streams from the web/home network with ease via Ethernet if your network is setup right.

Hope this helps.
Stream on...

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, great lovefilm streamer, 9 Dec 2011
I've had this now for about two weeks and love it, I very nearly bought the n100 then noticed this new 200 model, I mainly bought it for BBC and love film -which by the way is great on this, I have the unlimited streaming pack and have spent hours streaming movies straight through my HD TV, it seems to upscale the picture which is great, but not quite sky movies HD quality, I also like that love film have an app on there for movie trailers which are in HD and look great,
the other apps don't really interest me I had a skim through but they are pretty boring, five on demand is handy but would prefer I TV and 4od
There is also Sony's movie and music streaming service but the movies are expensive for HD and the music requires a subscription, I thought once I registered they may at least give you one free movie but no, Sony should do this really
I'm not to interested in network settings as my PC is already hooked up to my TV via HDMI but its there if needed, I did try it and it played the movies I have on my PC but no covers etc so bit cold, also because of this I have no use for the browser
If your looking for a great way to access love film and BBC this is great but please get 4od and I TV Sony and you have a winner on your hands, I spent weeks researching a streamer and went for this one and have not regretted it, forgot to say there is also a optical out so hooked it up to my bluray surround sound and love film etc sounds great!