5.0 out of 5 stars Murakami story collection
A short story collection from one of my favourite writers. Each of these tales is completely unique and mysterious in its own way. And each one has a brilliant kernel of an idea. As I read more Murakami I think I am starting to get an idea of what I like about him. Firstly there's his imagery. For some reasons he seems to paint pictures in your mind that consist of only...
Published on 29 May 2011 by rhysthomashello

3.0 out of 5 stars Short story collection up to Murakami's usual standard
This is Murakami's first proper short story collection in English since The Elephant Vanishes. After the Quake, though also a collection of short stories, is more of a coherent work, whereas these two collections draw from stories published from all periods of Murakami's career, and from many different collections in Japanese.

The publication dates of the...
Published on 13 Dec. 2007 by Greshon

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 19 Aug. 2006
I wonder if these stories would ever have been published if Murakami was not already a famous writer. I've read all of his books translated into English and this is really pretty mediocre compared to most of his other work. One or two stories are vintage Murakami but the majority read like very average school essays. I don't think I would have bothered reading any of his other books if this was the first one I read - which would have been my loss as he has written some marvelous novels, my favourite still being "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle".

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're bored by some of the early stories go to the last six, 30 Jan. 2014
An inconsistent collection, with more than its fair share of duds, but the last six stories find Murakami at his best

2.0 out of 5 stars 'B Sides' just about sums it up., 11 Oct. 2007
John Gimblett (Newport, South Wales United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Some of the other reviews here are spot on. Murakami has written a highly impressive collection of novels and short stories, but Blind Woman... isn't one of them.
The reviewer who said they're 'thin' is right; there is very little substance to these stories and none of them even exhibit Murakami's usual themes and trademark genius touches.
A couple of the stories hint at his (usual) greatness, but many of the stories left me wondering what the point was. I can't blame the translation as both translators of this book have a long history of working with Murakami and have done an exemplary job in the past.
Basically, it seems as if Murakami couldn't be bothered. The only book of his I've yet to read is the latest novel; I was put off buying this due to the poor reviews of it on Amazon.
Hopefully Murakami will regain his skills. I truly hope that this isn't the end of his stunning, atmospheric and superbly crafted fiction. That would be a huge loss of a great talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 16 Feb. 2015
I am very happy with my purchase! It arrived fast and the book was in super good condition! Thanks a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking: I'm speechless., 14 Jan. 2009
Flawless in almost every sense. After every tale of this wonderful collection I was left in awe. Murakami is able to somehow create another world in which the reader finds themselves lost, with situations that seem absurd and some that are just...strange. I'm struggling to put Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman into words. All I know is that I felt compelled to keep reading and even now I recall the book with the same wondrous feeling. Absolutely breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The monkey of our soul, 23 May 2010
Those are short stories, real short stories all built on one metaphor that is the inner meaning and the style of Murakami. He tries, every single time, to discover some strange bizarre element in the deepest depth of our souls or selves. I mean the souls and selves of his characters who are nothing but doppelgangers of us, the strange element that can block us, move us, inspire us, or ruin us. He is looking for a twist in the fabric of fate that may explain what we are and what we do. That shady deep anti-self is like a monkey hiding in us and pulling our strings. You will only understand that metaphor, that monkey metaphor when you reach the end of the last short story in this collection. It is also the style of Murakami. The story telling shifts from the most realistic description of things and feelings to an inner deeper voice taking over the story just as fi nothing had happened. The monkey of our fathomless fears, anxiety or joys can actually speak to us and Murakami is only its tuner or amplifier, the interpreter of this human translation of this breast-like soulless ghost which can be saved in the end into anepiphany that sends him back to the mountains where it belongs.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Paris 8 Saint Denis, University Paris 12 Créteil, CEGID

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 14 Sept. 2011
Frootle (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
Short stories. Feel like juvenilia: lots of stories based around jazz loving, 20-somethings, drifting through life and trying to work out love and relationships. Some weirdly surreal ones thrown in for good measure. Underwhelming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Collected B-sides, 31 Jan. 2007
Yang Shu Chuan (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
These stories are, in the main, gossamer thin. 'Mirror' is, I think , one of the most feeble published stories I have read by ANYONE. Some of the others are OK but one more cryptic story about a late twenties, beer-drinking, jazz-loving guy and I might have flung the book from me instead of putting it down gently. Riffing on bizarre coincidences and strange newspaper reports does not great stories make.

Hard Boiled Wonderland and Wind Up Bird are fantastic books; this is just the latest, and worst, in a series of partial failures from Murakami. Maybe, like bands, authors have their day, and Murakami at 57 simply has nothing new to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get this cheaper anywhere else !!!, 15 Sept. 2013
Item exactly as described. No issues or problems. Goods received promptly. Would use again. What more do you need ?

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGICAL, 19 July 2006
lovemurakami "tooty2" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I HAVE JUST FINISHED BLIND WILLOW, SLEEPING WOMAN. I HAVE NEVER READ MURAKAMI BEFORE BUT WILL NOW BE DIPPING INTO HIS WORK WITH PLEASURE. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PIGEON-HOLE THIS COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES. YOU MEANDER GENTLY THROUGH THIS WORK ENTERING PEOPLES' LIVES, HEARING SNIPPETS OF CONVERSATION, MURAKAMI HIMSELF MAKES AN APPEARANCE. THIS IS PROSE WRITING AT ITS' FINEST. WE ALL WISH THAT WE COULD PRODUCE ONE SHORT STORY OF THIS CALIBRE! PLEASE GIVE THIS A TRY.

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman