5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and colourful!
Published on 26 Nov 2011 by Symphony

2.0 out of 5 stars easy read but packed with clichés...
I was a little disappointed as it seemed all very far fetched to me. For someone with seemingly no qualifications, Cassie just walks into rather important jobs, jobs that people would litterally kill for! Honestly she just ends up at a fashion show, welcoming the guests, yeah right. obviously she was going to mess it up. How could kelly jeopardise her own career in such a...
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Aud

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and colourful!, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Paperback)
I have to admit, when I picked this up, I was expecting a generic 'easy read' of the regular woman's fiction genre, but boy - was I taken for a pleasant ride with this one! Karen Swan has presented us with every woman's secret dream - to move away to a foreign city and 'recreate' yourself in a bid to find who you really are - and that's just what Cassie does in Christmas At Tiffanys. Having found out that her long-term marraige was not what she thought it was, she ups from the wilds of countryside to magical New York, romantic Paris and bustling London, each time to stay with one of her three closest friends. There, each take their turns to remake her, involve her in their very different worlds, and, show her just how adaptable she really is.

This was no easy read; there were twists I never imagined coming. Descriptions of places I haven't been to, but now, after reading this, know will stick in my mind whenever I do go to these cities - she reminded me very much of Belinda Jones in the way the sheer passion of sharing these cities with the reader shone out, especially the captivating lesser-known areas, not so much tourists spots.

Love, laughter, sorrow, death, tears, happiness, friendship, desire - are but a snippet of the emotions and experiences ranging through Christmas at Tiffanys. Four best friends; each so very different and yet so very close. An estranged husband, too-attractive boyfriend, intriuging new friendhips and enigmatic blast from the past make Christmas at Tiffanys definitely one for the must reads list this year - although don't be fooled, not much of the book is actually set at Christmas time.

Five stars leaves me longing for another book like this from Karen Swan - let's hope it doesn't take too long to deliver!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so festive but still brilliant!, 14 Nov 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Paperback)
I jumped at the chance to read this book because let's face it - I'm a sucker for a Christmas book. However, now I've finished the book, I have to say I felt a little robbed because it wasn't really a festive book at all, BUT it was a really enjoyable story, perhaps just marketed a little wrongly! I found Karen Swan's writing very easy to read and despite it being a fairly long book, I found it very consuming and I really loved the cast of characters within. I think my favourite thing about this book is that you really don't know how its all going to end up, there are clues throughout but nothing to spoil it for the reader, and I loved that!

The book is based on Cassie, and the mess that is her life. Cassie's marriage has recently fallen apart following a shocking revelation about her marriage to Gil, but her 3 girl friends are ready to step up to the plate and help her out, by Cassie spending 4 months with each of them at 3 "exotic" locations... well they are for the girl who has never left Scotland anyway! I felt really sorry for Cassie, her life has been turned upside down by her husband, and she is totally lost. She was very likeable and I think she works well as a main character for the book. First up is New York, and her friend Kelly. I really liked Kelly, she was a fun girl who worked hard and played hard, and it made a real lifestyle change for Cassie and a good way to kick start the book. New York seems to be an ever popular location in chick lit these days, but I felt Swan did a good job in portraying the city, especially through the eyes of the naive Cassie, who hasn't got a clue about places like this!

I found the other characters to be good, especially Suzy, who lives in London. Her life is perhaps the most realistic of the three friends to be honest. She's a wedding planner, and a pretty good one at that. She's also happily married, the only one of the group who is settled down. It's her brother Henry who suddenly and surprisingly befriends Cassie and sends her on some fun runarounds courtesy of his well-travelled self, and lists he creates for Cassie to follow as she travels the world with her friends. The last friend was Anouk, a well-cultured French lady living in Paris, and working in fashion, as suits her very well! I have to say I warmed to Anouk the least, she was quite cold and stand-offish, especially compared to the bubbly Kelly and homely Susy, but it made a nice contrast, although I did want Cassie to wise up to her behaviour and attitude a bit more, as she was a bit too slow on the uptake! However, I really did love seeing Cassie grow throughout the year, and you really feel her go through every emotion, it's very well written.

I did think there was a good cast of characters in the book, my favourite being Henry, the traveller who helped Cassie out on her travels, he was fun and I really liked him. I do have to make a comment about the title, and the fact I find it a little mis-leading though. Although there is a scene at Tiffany's at Christmas, it takes place in the middle of the book, for just a few pages, and that's it. In fact, Christmas is barely mentioned during the whole book, so I think those expecting a festive read will be disappointed with this book. I think the publishers seem to have jumped on the festive fiction bandwagon a bit here, which is a shame as this is a really great book that I got really into as the story about Cassie and her reinvention happens. Yes, that story is nothing new - girl gets dumped, reinvents self in amazing way and is happy ever after, but I enjoyed the journey it took to get there, and I found Swan has really well researched the places that Cassie went to as they came to life in my head as I was reading them, and that was really great. I think this is a really great book, but certainly not the festive read you may expect from the cover and title! Do give it a chance though, this is a fab read that I loved and it certainly makes me want to look out for more of Karen Swan's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Christmas Story, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Paperback)
I just loved this story as there were so many different angles to it. I never knew about the bridge in Paris but would love to see it. To write a story about 3 different cities was clever idea and to have friends like this would make anyone glad. I really lived this story as if it was me and I have been to all these cities and could really picture them all in my mind. Great read, did not want it to end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Christmassy, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Paperback)
I chose this book because it was December and I wanted a Christmas read, and the cover and title of this book seemed to fit my requirements. However, this book is not in the least bit christmassy, or even wintery at all, so I was very disappointed. Fortunately though, the story was good and it was strong enough to keep me turning the pages, despite my initial disappointment.

The story focuses on Cassie and her three friends, Kelly, Anouk and Suzy. Deciding to spend the year with three friends in their home countries, the story takes Cassie to New York, Paris and London. I enjoyed the story the most when it was set in New York as I felt that it was where the characters were the most interesting and where the story progressed the most. I personally found Cassie's length of time in Paris quite dull and thought it only heated up at the end of the section where there was a revelation. Cassie's spell in London was enjoyable and eventful and far more interesting to read.

Overall, this is a good read, but don't be fooled by the Christmassy cover and title which are very misleading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely loved this book. Was a bargain at 99p for my Kindle and did nit disappoint. Would recommend to anyone wanting a feel-good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
Nice easy read, didn't have to think about it to keep track of what was happening. Story was a bit far fetched but nothing wrong with a bit of fantacy now and then - we all want to escape real life sometimes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
Don't usually read this type of book but once I started it I couldn't put it down :-)
Will be looking for more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
Loved reading this book, one of those rare delights that I seldom find anymore, a true love story.
THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
I read this after The Perfect Present and while I would have to say not quite in the same calibre (it maybe lacked some of the poignancy) it was still a very enjoyable read.
The characters were well written and the story moved at a good pace. I'd have liked to know more about some characters e.g. Claude but Henry has to be one of the most dashing male leads in quite a while! The main character Cassie came across as a very believable and likeable character. I will definitely read more by this author on the strength of the 2 I have read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Tiffany's, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Tiffany's (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous read, couldn't put it down. It has caused more sleepless nights then anything I've read before because I couldn't wait for the next instalment at another time I had to read it all now!! Karen Swan is definitely a name I will be looking out for in the future. If you're in any doubt as to whether to purchase this book don't! As you won't regret it :/)) It's one of those books that all you need to do is sit in comfort with your feet up, your hands wrapped around a cuppa and nothing to do but read until your heart is content...

ARRAY(0xafa441a4)