4.0 out of 5 stars My little Bible to Athens
After reading several reviews, including the typical Lonely Planet and Eyewitness editions, I decided to take a leap of faith on the Rough Guide, and absolutely loved it!

Published on 29 July 2012 by mya313

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
Published on 23 Oct. 2012 by Jan

4.0 out of 5 stars My little Bible to Athens, 29 July 2012

Like most travel guides, this one breaks down the city into districts. It had a very natural flow from one district to another without requiring you to continuously flip back and forth to other pages.

The sites were clearly listed, with brief and informative descriptions of their historical context, making more interesting sight-seeing than a simple tick on our "must see list".

Interestingly enough, we had booked a hotel which turned out to be rather unpleasant, and we found alternative accommodation thanks to the Rough Guide. The second hotel turned out to be all we wanted.

It also proved really useful when we planned a trip out to Delphi. All the information we needed was in the guide book.

I have to agree with one of the reviews - it could do with more dining out recommendations. We didn't particularly feel it challenging to find places to eat and hang out, but other travel books seem to have more.

The last few pages of the book also contain a list of useful Greek words to get you by during your trip. It wasn't as complete as I would have hoped, but you'll find that you can easily get by with English and the few words on that list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little guide book, 13 July 2012
The guide book is packed with useful information, colourful and the size is perfect. Personally I think is what a guide book should contain - enough to get you around and explore the city without weighing you down! I can't stand the ones that tells you everything and you end up reading it from the guide book and completely missing out on the scenery and the atmosphere!
The only thing I didn't use was the pull out map because the ones you can pick up locally is a lot easier to navigate

4.0 out of 5 stars great little guide, 24 Jan. 2013
A. J. Gauld (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have a couple of these pocket rough guides and I like the format. They are genuinely small enough to fit in a pocket so you actually take them with you, the maps and suggested eating places are good and there is just enough information to let you decide on priorities when time is tight. The maps are accurate and a decent scale. This specific book is a good example of its kind and we used it to circumnavigate the parthenon, stopping off at the museums and shopping areas and parks as we went. We found a recommended restaurant for lunch and used the public transport system to/from our cruise ship, all without any hassles, and we saved a fortune on the cruise official tour. Which makes this wee book a real bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 23 Oct. 2012
Used this book for a short break in Athens. It's got a good pull out map in the back. It was useful for the basics of the city but some of the information was out of date, eg. The Panathenanic Stadium is in actual fact open to the public with a very good audio tour. There were various little inaccuracies like this. However that said, It was a handy little book to have and I doubt that any guide book will be exactly up to date.

4.0 out of 5 stars As described 'rough' guide!, 6 Feb. 2012
Useful little book, good price. However could do with a bit more info on dining out / nightlife. Covers each area v. briefly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little guide, 22 Aug. 2014
B. Zidler (London) - See all my reviews
Excellent little guide. Sufficient for a short stay in Athens. Check that all maps are included. I kept it in my pocket all the time and could visit and learn everything about this city in a few days. The main advice given at the beginning of the book was to avoid Athens during the first 2 weeks of July, just when I was there. I should have listened to it :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 11 April 2014
This pocket size book is just what you need when you are walking the streets. Highly informative and easy to read with great helpful information

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing Map, 30 Oct. 2013
The street map that was supposed to be inserted in the back cover was missing! Otherwise, the book was in excellent condition

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 15 April 2014
got this for a trip later on got 3 others cheaper then book shops and the same good enough for my needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014