5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Dedication
I saw this book mentioned on a tweet a while ago and ordered it. I am the sort of reader that reads 2 pages to help me sleep at the end of the day. However, this book saw me finishing it within 2 weeks. This was a first and because of that my wife is now reading it.
Published on 3 July 2011 by StairBundy

Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Mr. C. J. Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Dedication, 3 July 2011
A great story about determination and friendship that comes with the sport. It has given me a little boost to get training a little more seriously and it also shows what can be done when you put your mind to it.

A great read and a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as an interesting read, finished it wanting to do an Ironman, 4 May 2011
Heard on the grapevine about this book and book it out of general curiousness to see what it was about. BIG MISTAKE. Couldn't put it down and read it pretty much in one sitting. The next day I read it again. Now I can't stop thinking about doing a triathlon, have dusted my bike down from the garage and found my swimming stuff. Yes, it really is that inspirational.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book should be titled: 'My Triathlon Family and Other Animals', 31 Mar 2011
Mr. C. J. Howard "Chris" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This book for me was not an inspirational story about an unfit northern fat bloke who trains to do his first ironman, but simply a means of plugging his Triathlon Clubs and 'bigging up' his fellow triathlete buddies (most of which who have blatantly left reviews on Amazon). Ignoring all this the novel is just mindless dross all about his injuries (in which he had a lot), and how he should have got better times in the ironman races he competed in if it wasn't for those very ailments (welcome to everyone else's world but the rest of us are a bit more humble about it).

The author seems to be a nice enough bloke but the novel I found too frustrating, boring, unfunny and just a poor read about ironman races. I wanted to be inspired, instead I felt irritated and bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable, additive and real, 13 July 2012
Gary Burt (Blackpool, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I started this book and couldn't put it down. This book is not a how-to guide to Triathlon training - if you need that buy Joe Friel's book. Andy's book is the story of an average guy, setting himself a massive challenge and his experiences through this journey. What really made this book great for me, was its reality. Andy didn't have bottomless pockets to buy the latest kit, his training had to fit around his work and he talks candidly about the challenges of balancing his training with his home life. This is a book for the 99.9% of us who will never make the Ironman podium; those of us who buy magazine to read reviews of bikes that cost more than our family car and those of us who know that lycra will never be a great look for us. I finished the book inspired to follow Andy's steps and booked some swimming lessons the next day. My own Ironman journey has started. It will be a long journey, but it has started. Thanks Andy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, and very amusing!, 7 Jan 2011
I got this book three days ago and have just finished reading it! I loved the style of writing and the humour with which it is written. For me as a newbie triathlete in a similar position regarding recurring health issues threatening to ruin things along the way I could empathize with Andy's problems. Also his lack of funds for buying the top gear though lusting after it all the same! His story proves that anyone with the desire, guts and determination to succeed will do it - hopefully that will be me one day! A great read Andy :)

1.0 out of 5 stars ..And can't write either, 4 Jan 2014
J. Macpherson "mac" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man to Ironman (Kindle Edition)
Just terrible, awful, cliched ridden, annoying, self-serving tripe. Couldn't finish it; a feat of endurance greater than an Ultraman. Look elsewhere for inspiration; like "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith, cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read! Well Written and very inspiring!, 7 Feb 2012
I bought this book on the recommendation of another fellow triathlete. I have been a triathlete since 2007 but have feared moving on in my distances. This year (2012) I decided it was time to move on from Sprint to Olympic, and after reading Andy's journey I am now planning my half Ironman and Ironman for 2013 and 2014 respectively.
This book was a lot of fun to read and very inspirational. I loved reading the journey and also seeing the photos that had been added into the book, which made everything feel more real for me.
Andy, inspirational read, your partner Emma is amazing lady and support to you. When doing this sport that is one thing you need from your respective partner. You have provided me the inspiration to push on my distances and for that I'd like to thank you.
I have been recommending your book to people thinking about triatlons and also those who simply are too afraid to increase their distance.
Good luck for the future and happy racing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, very easy to follow, 14 Oct 2011
I was recommended this book by a friend of mine from the RunnersWorld's forum. I've heard a lot about "IronHolgs" and can honestly say that this book was one of the most enjoyable reads that i've read this year. His down to earth writing style makes you really feel every emotion during the races and you're routing for him every step of the way. There's no pretense and he's very honest with the reader about what he's going through.

The flow of the book is very logical and the chapters were of a good length. IronHolgs shows the comradery and team spirit of the triworld very well.

Most of all - he's an inspiration and a fighter. After reading his book -it's made me bite the bullet and sign up for a triathlon... I cant swim but i'll try my hardest and i'll get there slowly!

If you want a training plan for an Ironman - this isnt for you - if you want to read a detailed and emotive journey of one man's journey to an Ironman - then it's for you. This book is such a motivator to keep going at it and keep going despite whatever comes up against you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 21 Jun 2011
I loved this book, I simply could not put it down! The author really illustrates fully what it takes to prepare in triathlon/ironman, the worry associated with injuries and the mental drive you need to push yourself in these events. For me it was an inspirational read, the only problem I had with the book was that it was too short! But thankfully I can follow IronHolgs on his blog and keep up to date on his adventures!

If you are in anyway thinking of stepping into the world of triathlon you should buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why am i looking at turbo trainers, 8 May 2011
Read this book on the Eurostar to Bruges. I could hardly put it down. I found myself running around the ring canal to Bruges and cycling to Damme.

I have done a few sprint triathlons and the marathon twice and i thought that was enough but having read this book I find I am really inspired. Like Andy Ihave always believed that you can do anything you want to so long as you put your mind to it. I have just ordered a book on swim technique and I am looking at turbo trainers.

Tgis book is really well written, addictive and I would recommend it.