5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Dedication
I saw this book mentioned on a tweet a while ago and ordered it. I am the sort of reader that reads 2 pages to help me sleep at the end of the day. However, this book saw me finishing it within 2 weeks. This was a first and because of that my wife is now reading it.
Published on 3 July 2011 by StairBundy

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining? Maybe. Inspiring? Not really.
The first 1/3 of the book (up to the Ironman) was entertaining and easy to read, the rest was a chore with dull description of his races, preparations and other benign things of ordinary life... Got really tired of short descriptive sentences, not a literature masterpiece that some reviews claim it to be.
Published 17 months ago by OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Dedication, 3 July 2011
A great story about determination and friendship that comes with the sport. It has given me a little boost to get training a little more seriously and it also shows what can be done when you put your mind to it.

A great read and a great story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining? Maybe. Inspiring? Not really., 25 Nov. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 21 Jun. 2011
I loved this book, I simply could not put it down! The author really illustrates fully what it takes to prepare in triathlon/ironman, the worry associated with injuries and the mental drive you need to push yourself in these events. For me it was an inspirational read, the only problem I had with the book was that it was too short! But thankfully I can follow IronHolgs on his blog and keep up to date on his adventures!

If you are in anyway thinking of stepping into the world of triathlon you should buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate you, Andy Holgate, 21 May 2013
Robert Macmillan (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure whether to give this book a five star review or a one star review.

Five stars because it is an entertaining and engrossing read. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. And yes, it is inspirational in a way that many other books that claim to be fail to be. As the sub-title says, it really is the story of "common man" (yes, that's you and me) to Ironman.

Which leads me to thinking it should be one star. Just four days after buying the book this runner-only has spent two grand on a racing bike and is checking out swimming lessons. I can only say if you don't want to be caught up in a sudden fervour to start training twenty to thirty hours a week in order to spend a day with other mentally deranged people physically exerting yourself to within a whisker of death's door then leave this book well alone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Book should be titled: 'My Triathlon Family and Other Animals', 31 Mar. 2011
Mr. C. J. Howard "Chris" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This book for me was not an inspirational story about an unfit northern fat bloke who trains to do his first ironman, but simply a means of plugging his Triathlon Clubs and 'bigging up' his fellow triathlete buddies (most of which who have blatantly left reviews on Amazon). Ignoring all this the novel is just mindless dross all about his injuries (in which he had a lot), and how he should have got better times in the ironman races he competed in if it wasn't for those very ailments (welcome to everyone else's world but the rest of us are a bit more humble about it).

The author seems to be a nice enough bloke but the novel I found too frustrating, boring, unfunny and just a poor read about ironman races. I wanted to be inspired, instead I felt irritated and bored.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and sub-par book, 10 Sept. 2013
Nathan Hardwick "Sci-fi Devourer" (Whitley Bay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man to Ironman (Kindle Edition)
I think a lot of other reviewers must have been reading a different book to me. I just couldn't get through it. The author seems like a nice enough fella but he's just not quite as funny as he thinks he is. The humour is obvious, cliched and a bit laddish. The writing style is amateur at best and it didn't leave me particularly inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as an interesting read, finished it wanting to do an Ironman, 4 May 2011
Heard on the grapevine about this book and book it out of general curiousness to see what it was about. BIG MISTAKE. Couldn't put it down and read it pretty much in one sitting. The next day I read it again. Now I can't stop thinking about doing a triathlon, have dusted my bike down from the garage and found my swimming stuff. Yes, it really is that inspirational.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to swimming, cycling and running. Can't write., 22 April 2014
Can't understand all the 5 star reviews. Ok, so the bloke has guts and gives his all. An inspirational journey maybe. However, he cannot write and his jokes are rubbish. I cannot believe he has made money out of selling this book. Because of mugs like me believing all the bogus reviews and buying the damn book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read! Well Written and very inspiring!, 7 Feb. 2012
I bought this book on the recommendation of another fellow triathlete. I have been a triathlete since 2007 but have feared moving on in my distances. This year (2012) I decided it was time to move on from Sprint to Olympic, and after reading Andy's journey I am now planning my half Ironman and Ironman for 2013 and 2014 respectively.
This book was a lot of fun to read and very inspirational. I loved reading the journey and also seeing the photos that had been added into the book, which made everything feel more real for me.
Andy, inspirational read, your partner Emma is amazing lady and support to you. When doing this sport that is one thing you need from your respective partner. You have provided me the inspiration to push on my distances and for that I'd like to thank you.
I have been recommending your book to people thinking about triatlons and also those who simply are too afraid to increase their distance.
Good luck for the future and happy racing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, very easy to follow, 14 Oct. 2011
I was recommended this book by a friend of mine from the RunnersWorld's forum. I've heard a lot about "IronHolgs" and can honestly say that this book was one of the most enjoyable reads that i've read this year. His down to earth writing style makes you really feel every emotion during the races and you're routing for him every step of the way. There's no pretense and he's very honest with the reader about what he's going through.

The flow of the book is very logical and the chapters were of a good length. IronHolgs shows the comradery and team spirit of the triworld very well.

Most of all - he's an inspiration and a fighter. After reading his book -it's made me bite the bullet and sign up for a triathlon... I cant swim but i'll try my hardest and i'll get there slowly!

If you want a training plan for an Ironman - this isnt for you - if you want to read a detailed and emotive journey of one man's journey to an Ironman - then it's for you. This book is such a motivator to keep going at it and keep going despite whatever comes up against you.