5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent!
I am a huge Luther fan. And being able to read about him as well as watch him on television, well, it gave me mixed feelings. Feelings of terror and dread about what I would find inside. Feelings of exhilaration, fear, excitement. I couldn't wait! And Neil Cross didn't disappoint me.

Firstly, let me say that LUTHER: THE CALLING is freestanding from the series...
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by Mel Sherratt

3.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be familiar with the TV series
Neil Cross is a screenwriter who created the TV series Luther - Series 1 [DVD]. This novel is a prequel to that series, which I have never seen, but it also works as a standalone crime novel.

DCI John Luther, "a big man with a big walk", is a damaged cop whose marriage is falling apart. The story involves two cases. In the first, a property developer is...
Published on 7 Aug 2011 by Julia Flyte

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 May 2012
Gordon Campbell (Llanharan) - See all my reviews
Every bit as good as the tv series. You nan imagine Idris as you are reading the book. The mannerisms are down to a tee. Story line is excellent as are the characterisations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for a fan of Luther the TV Series, 30 April 2012
I bought this book for my Mum who is a massive fan of the series Luther. I have watched it myself but mainly for Edris Elba, lol! Going off of my Mum's review she is in the middle of reading this book and cannot put it down therefore sounds like a good read for all Luther fans out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, 26 April 2012
D. Bane "dazza b" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LUTHER: The Calling (Hardcover)
This is an intense thriller which captures in print the tense, atmospheric drama of the two fantastic TV series.
It quickly became compulsive reading; sometimes I could not turn the next page quick enough; other times, I hesitated because I was anticipating some graphic unpleasantness coming up.
I have two nit-picking points (but before anyone pounces on me for being super critical, these points were, in my view, worthy of mention, but not so significant as to pose any threat to a five star rating).
The writing style threw me to start with; not only is it written in the present tense, which took a little getting used to, but an English pureist would have a field day pulling apart some of the sentence stucture. Strictly speaking, there are plenty of sentences that are not grammatically correct.
But for anyone who has seen Idris Elba's stunning on-screen portrayal of Luther, this style very much suits that character. And I guess that is my main criticism. Had I NOT seen the TV show, and not had, in my mind, such a clear cut image of that big man with the big walk, then I may have struggled with this present tense and the staccato sentences. But because I did have the benefit of reading this whilst picturing Elba, and hearing his voice, then I quickly came to terms with the style, and became engrossed in the story.
My only other minor point - without providing any spoilers - is that I found the inevitable showdown between Luther and the villain of the peace to be a little too similar to one of the early, if not the first, episode of the TV series. Once the scene had been set, then for the very first time in all my 'Luther' experiences, I was able to correctly predict the outcome.
But, as already stated, these minor niggling points were not enough to dampen my overall enjoyment of this compelling read. I am not a particularly squeamish person, but I did find myself wincing on a few occasions, and the heart rate certainly increased noticably at other parts.
Personally, I would recommended viewing some episodes of Luther first before reading this in order to get the absolute maximum enjoyment, though not compulsory, as this does stand alone as a fantastic read. But it does become so much more given the superb TV performances.
Can't wait for series three; can't wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 21 April 2012
I have yet to write a review of a book i have read on my Kindle but feel compelled to do so now- this book is sooooo good!!! I had watched the Luther TV series, usually from behind my fingers, it thrilled and horrified you at the same time. The book is no different - the plot pushes you on, inexorably to the final climax. The storyline gives you more insight into Luther's complex psyche. Please, please can we have some more Mr Cross?!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Luther's new life in print, 25 Mar 2012
J. H. Bretts "jerard1" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is not a 'novelisation' of the great BBC TV series but an original Luther story, in fact a prequel to the first series. Neil Cross is as adept at writing novels as he is at writing TV scripts and if you are a fan of the complex figure of Luther - surely one of the best new detectives of recent years - you will love this book.The characterisation , dialogue and descriptions are very well done, and the plot will have you at the edege of your seat throughout. However, be warned - there is far more gore here than would be allowed by the BBC! Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait To Read This, 15 Mar 2012
I absolutely loved the BBC series - Idris Elba was absolutely fantastic as the title character so can't wait to get hold of this book. Neil Cross is a dude!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good police procedural, 15 Mar 2012
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LUTHER: The Calling (Hardcover)
I wasn't familiar with the BBC series, "Luther", when friend told me about Neil Cross's novel, "Luther: The Calling". I ordered it from Amazon/UK because it won't be published here in the US for another few months. I was expecting an excellent story and received a very good one. Neil Cross's story of DCI John Luther of the London Police force seems to have been written as a prelude to the BBC series stories, and introduces the main characters.

Cross introduces John Luther, a tormented black policeman whose problems have problems! He's separating from his wife, who he's closed off from emotionally. A sick killer is at large in London, slashing his way through "perfect families", and Luther is in charge of tracking him down. And another story about an old man who's being pressured into selling his house to a developer. There's plenty of violence, done by both good and bad guys. The violence is graphic but not particularly gratuitous.

The problem with the book is that it just isn't as good as other British procedurals, by Ian Rankin and Ian Banks, among others. The book simply has too many preposterous plot points. I mean, a reader often has to suspend belief when reading fiction, but in "Luther", the reader is suspended in a pit the depth of the Grand Canyon! But I think that's because the book was written as an adjunct to a TV series. The violence and the action has to be on-going. There's not much subtlety in Cross's writing. However, the book IS enjoyable. I'll check out Cross's other books and the BBC series.

5.0 out of 5 stars As scintillating as the BBC series, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: LUTHER: The Calling (Hardcover)
Neil Cross, sole writer of the BBC TV series, Luther, wrote this psychological crime drama prequel subsequent to writing the TV show. I have never read a book based on a screenplay that was any good, until now. Not just good, but unputdownable. Was it as riveting as the series? Absolutely. I wasn't distracted by segueing from film to print, or going back in time, or the sizzling reminders of Idris Alba, who consummately personifies DCI John Luther.

"Luther is a big man with a big walk," is Cross's understated way of describing this very complex and conflicted London detective of the Serious Crime Unit. He was once a post-grad English literature major, who met his wife, Zoe, when they took a comparative religion course together about twenty years ago. She is now a human rights attorney, and Luther fights crime on the streets.

John loves his wife, frequently despises his job, but compromises his marriage for the dedication and long hours that keep him away from home, physically and emotionally. He's hypomanic, which is, euphemistically, bipolar-lite. His mood is elevated and sleep is elusive. He doesn't drink. Now, there's an original and refreshing trait. Too many crime novels portray the alcoholic genius detective. Luther is a genius, but a sober one.

Luther has a temper. Violent criminals, especially psychopaths who harm children, provoke his rage. He periodically goes rogue in his tactics, creating hair-raising moments with his boss, Rose Teller. His partner and best friend, Ian Reed, is on the same page, but other colleagues frown when he disregards policy. They officially complain, complicating the plot and putting the squeeze on Luther's advantage against the clock.

Graphic violence is central to the plot, so beware the beast. However, it is not gratuitous. Cross is brilliant at combining Tarantino and Rumi. Luther is the thinking man's combatant, a scholar/warrior, a David Bowie enthusiast and moral strategist, with a hint of the mystical. Instead of a patched-elbow tweedy elite, which he could have been, he is fighting crime. Luther is a conundrum. On the one hand, he is deeply virtuous and applies his principles or morality to outwitting the criminal. On the other hand, his tempestuous means to an end approach often violate departmental ethics, creating considerable problems for Luther, his colleagues, and his superiors.

With a poetic economy of words, Cross keeps a sublime vise grip on the reader. Oh, those pages will fly and burn your fingers in the process. The pace is crucial to the mood and plot, and Cross maintains a fierce but restrained tempo, as incomparable as the series. You will be installed in the story by the first page; it is so exquisitely brazen, you will screech and howl before it is over. The next book in the series can't come soon enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Calling, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: LUTHER: The Calling (Hardcover)
This book is only getting 5 stars because thats all there are!
What a read it is,it has everything and keeps you turning page after page,and it is impossible to put down.The story starts at pace and keeps thundering on,sometimes I wanted to cry,sometimes laugh and sometimes hide behind the sofa.
Although it is a great stand alone novel,if you have watched the TV series,Idris Elba is Luther,very rarely has an actor been made so ideally for a part.More and more Luther please!
This is one of those books that will stay in my memory for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and WOW!!!!, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: LUTHER: The Calling (Hardcover)
Written like a script. Loved that. Sharp writing. Loved that. The story is vibrant, graphic and disturbing. So disturbing I had to stop and take a breather. Loved that. Oh Luther!!!

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›