5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 6 Feb 2012 by Jimster-Jim

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems, Problems, Problems!!!!
The last 4 M/Boards we've bought were ASUS and we've had no problems, until this one.

1 of the RAM slots (retention clip) was broken right out of the box. Would only boot with RAM modules in the other 3 of the 4 slots. Swapped the modules around, tried many configurations, would only boot with no module in A1 slot. Contacted ASUS tech support, the guy says the...
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by System Builder For 18 Years

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module) (Accessory)
Excellent board. I use this with my gaming rig and play all newest games like bf3, love all the features this board has. The expansion slots are perfectly set up as newer gpu's take up 2 spots and you usaully cant use a x1 slot or something but theres always at least one of each slot type showing even if you have 2 big gpu's. I have an i7 2600k and gtx 570 set up with this board and both run fine, i have overclocked the cpu to 4.5ghz and its so easy with the bios on this board. The look of the board inside the case looks very nice especially the heatsinks. Definitely recommend this board its, i dont see what more you could possibly want!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent mid/high end board, with a couple of quality niggles, 2 May 2012
Just to be clear, I'm no expert on motherboards - this was my first build.

Pros
Came well-packaged
Clear instruction manual
Laden with ports - 10 USB ports (including the module for the additional 2 USB 3.0s), hdmi, VGA etc. etc.
Ivy bridge compatible
Onboard Bluetooth
Quite an attractive board, if that's important to you
All those blue heatsinks ensure it runs cool
Excellent mouse driven graphical bios.
Comes with some useful utilities, e.g. Asus Fan Xpert, which allows you to control fan speed profiles etc.
So far, it has been stable.
Easy, one-click overclocking...

Cons
...although t'interweb suggests that this leads to overly-high voltages, so you're better off doing the settings manually
Not cheap, though it may now come down in price with the release of Z77.
Bluetooth has a range of about 1.5 feet, which is really poor. A quick Google shows this is a known issue.
The PCB is a bit flimsy. Careful how hard you push that RAM in...
The port panel thingy that you fit into the back of the case seems to be made of tinfoil
The drivers page on the Asus website was a confusing mess, and one of the most up-to-date drivers refused to install on the board. The one on the bundled disk works fine though.

Overall, it's a decent board, but it's a pity that Asus haven't ironed out the flaws by now

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard for Sandybridge CPUs, 29 Dec 2011
I've been building systems around MSI, GigaByte, Abit and Asus motherboards for close to 20 years - and this board is the best I've used yet. Great quality components used throughout, excellent cooling and power regulation features included to assist anyone interested in overclocking. The stand-out feature for me is Asus's excellent EFI BIOS implementation - which actually makes the config of the BIOS settings a real point and click pleasure that no longer looks like you're back in the MSDOS era!

Tonnes of SATA connectivity (8 internal, if memory serves me correctly + 1 external eSata) provide a good basis for a very expandable workstation pc - whilst internal Bluetooth also offers some interesting functionality not often seen in mainstream motherboards (works fine with my iPhone 4 and Nokia work phone for handsfree calling and wireless music streaming).

The board seems very stable And ASUS have already released an enhanced BIOS supporting additional CPUs - not bad for such a recent board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Ivy Bridge Compatability Issues (10/10 Otherwise), 17 Aug 2012
Hiya Folks,

Just a quick note to those of you purchasing this mobo for use with an Ivy Bridge Processor.

It turns out that some versions of this board (possibly ones that were manufactured earlier) have an older version of the bios that doesn't support Ivy Bridge Processors out of the box. The solution to this is either to use a Sandy Bridge or other supported CPU to install a newer bios version or to flash the bios by usb to a newer version without a CPU installed.

Please let me add that this mobo is fantastic once the correct bios version is installed, I had no problems setting up windows and overclockin and have been running it for a good month or so.

The mobo is packed with useful features and the bios is very simple and easy to use with the mouse user interface.

With the somewhat frustrating issues aside, I'd give this mobo 10/10!!

Hopefully this review will help you guys if you have any probs but lets hope they ship them with newer bios versions from now on lol.

Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars size, 26 Mar 2012
ace motherboard for building ur own gaming system but plz note that this will not fit in all ATX size cases, the size of this board is 305m x 250m i had to order new case for it to fit in due to size not being down as form : ATX and amusing it will fit

4.0 out of 5 stars On board sound problems, 9 Mar 2012
I installed this board along with a i7 2600k and 16G of corsair ram into my case and fitted my Radeon HD6870 graphics card. Booted fine and installed win 7 64bit.

My surround sound speakers were connected and I could hear feint sounds coming from them. Kind of like a low electronic chattering from a quiet modem. Open a program like firefox and move the window around the screen and it squeaked. Scroll the window contents and it sounded like a wet finger across glass! sound was from speakers and front headphone socket.

I checked all drivers were up to date and updated the bios all to no effect. Searching google was difficult because of the vague search terms but I did find some results and no cure was obvious. I returned the board to Amazon for replacement and as expected they were good as gold getting me a replacement in a couple of days.

Of course the replacement did the same thing :(

I removed the graphics card and used the onboard video - no interference sounds. I dug out an old Nvidea 8800 card and that made noises from the speakers but much quieter.

Solution was more old hardware. I dug out an old soundcard and used that instead of the onboard sound - perfect sound with no noises. having searched google some more I found others that had resorted to the same solution and noticed most of them had radeon cards. The other thing that was said to cause sound issues was an old version of the USB 3 driver but that was not my problem.

power supply is a good one and it plus the graphics card were used before this upgrade with an asus P5k board with no issues to onboard sound.

posting this in case it helps someone else with the same problem, not complaining.

I've never had a problem with Asus before so I'd buy again in future.

5 stars to Amazon 4 to Asus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Overclocking i7 SandyBridge Processors, 10 Nov 2013
Derek A. Brawn "Studio Del" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Recently my PC blew up (literally caught fire and tripped all of the power socket circuit breakers in my house) when my 650W PSU popped and the dust & carpet fluff in the surrounding areas of the PC case caught fire, in the middle of a battle in MW3! My Asus P7H67 motherboard got fried too, so I decided upon the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 after reading numerous tech blog sites and reviews. I can tell you it does not disappoint, it's a great motherboard, plus a big step up from my previous one. Now my 1600MHz DDR3 4x4GB DIMM's appear to be running at 1632MHz and not 1333MHz as they were under my old system.

I opted for the "OC Tuner" one-touch auto-overclocking feature when first running setup BIOS and guess what; it's fantastic - my i7 2600K chip is running at up to 4.43GHz with CPU-Voltages well below 1.35V (please note: Intel recommends max CPU voltage of 1.35V for indefinite life, and up to 1.40V for safe overclocking, whilst 1.45V to 1.50V will reduce the life expectancy of your processor based on empirical studies by Intel themselves - so you've been warned). I may opt to manually OC my chip later, but for now using Adobe PS, AE and PPro as well as playing MW3 and the new CoD Ghosts with max Video settings (using my GTX 570 graphics card + "new" Corsair AX760 professional PSU) is going swimmingly. No complaints thus far.

Motherboards are really important and I skimped before on cost and paid the price. Fortunately, these older MOBO's (this model P8Z68-v pro is now 2-years old) have come down a lot in price, retailing now at approximately half of what they were originally selling for in November 2011, hence they now represent terrific 'value for money'.

To sum up what I really like about this MOBO:

(1) Easy to install - has 9 screw holes to fix to chassis/case and not 6 like my last P7/H67, so the form factor is ATX (not micro-ATX) so make sure that your PC case is large enough first
(2) despite online complaints about fragile PCB board, I certainly did not find that when I was slotting in cards, pushing heavily down on my 4 RAM modules or even when attaching a back-plate for my liquid-cooler CPU system etc.
(3) Allows for overclocking of select CPU's plus it will take DDR ram modules of speeds up to 2200 MHz (it may run them at slightly different speeds due to architecture constraints, but they'll still run hyper-fast!
(4) I got 2 additional USB 3.0 ports using the mid-board connection option, although I had to use one of my back plate slot area (so potentially having one less PCI or PCI-E slots, but this MOBO has plenty to start with)
(5) BIOS setup was a doddle and so was BIOS upgrade to latest version (see Asus website for firmware downloads)
(6) Switches and jumpers on-board are clearly marked and easy to find - very important this when installing fiddly things like CPU fans (always use CPU fan first and not secondary 'CPU/Alt Fan' pins), plus there is a Mem OK! L.E.D. as well as a memory chip compatibility test switch - slot in the DIMMs and hit the button for 4 or more seconds to test for correct RAM chip modules.
(7) Lastly, with so many SATA ports (2 x 6GB/s + 4 x 3GB/s as well as a further 2 x 6GB/s Marvell sockets) you can easily have half a dozen HDD (possibly 1 or 2 SSD's installed as part of this setup) as well as 1 x fast Optical DVD/RW + 1 x Blu-Ray drive. I also like the fact that these SATA sockets are side-mounted so the open sockets face the drive-bays and not up in the air staring at you in the face, after all; I hate having to push/pull cables 90-degrees (it only damages them or makes it easier for them to pop out of their sockets).

There you have it, if you've an older P7 board with a SandyBridge i5 or i7 processor and you're considering upgrading your system, well this Asus P8Z68-v pro comes very highly recommended (plus with a simple BIOS firmware flash upgrade it will run the newer 3rd generation Ivy Bridge chips too). This board is well-spec'd and has a ton of ports, runs fast and has a good track record for stability, plus now its quite cheap. Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars this board is the nuts, 23 Sep 2013
What can I say, it looks a thing of beauty; I love the metallic blue heatsinks.

But most importantly it works as advertised and its pretty fast. Great configuration / setup options, especially with the UEFI bios.
Super overclockable and good build quality, which I;ve come to expect from Asus.

Buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Motherboard, 24 Dec 2012
Absolutely fantastic specs, with more USB3 ports than you can shake a stick at with plenty of USB2 as well. A graphic bios interface, SLI and Crossfire compatible it really is a fantastic board. Combine this with a Core I7 and your on to a winner

5.0 out of 5 stars fast, 22 Dec 2012
excellent piece of mother board really easy to install and has a manual to help you defo recommend this mb to anyone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›