4.0 out of 5 stars Dammit Jim, I'm a wireless dongle, not a miracle worker
Published on 19 May 2012 by Mr. Mischief

3.0 out of 5 stars Great When It Works!!
Published 20 months ago by TipTop

4.0 out of 5 stars Dammit Jim, I'm a wireless dongle, not a miracle worker, 19 May 2012
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Asus USB-N53 - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless USB Dongle. 802.11n, (Win7), 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
I've had a Wireless `n' router for some months now and although the speed benefits of upgrading to wireless `n' from wireless `g' were obvious from the moment I made the switch, the connection between the router and my old wireless dongle was unreliable and the signal strength was patchy. Not wanting to do away with the faster connectivity that `n' brings, I instead decided to do away with my old kit and buy brand new - in this case, Asus's USB-N53U Wi-Fi dongle to accompany their DSL-N55U modem router (ASUS DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty).

In appearance, the N53 dongle is.... well, it's a dongle - a black plastic slab that plugs into a USB port on your PC and then protrudes somewhat annoyingly from it. As with the N55 router, the N53's styling is slightly off-the-wall; a tartan / diamond patchwork moulded into the plastic, that some people may call modern, but I see it as being slightly reminiscent of the 80's, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your age! Two blue lights peeking through the top complete the package, one that stays on constantly as a power indicator and the other that flashes during exchanges of data.

As I wasn't connected to the internet at the time, no Windows drivers were available when I plugged the dongle in, so instead I used the drivers supplied on the included CD. I also took the opportunity to install the Asus USB-N53 Utility software at the same time, giving me control of the device at its base level and allowing me to do things like scanning for networks, checking on the network status, adjusting settings and so forth. The software also allowed me to use the dongle in `Software Access Point' mode, effectively turning it into a wireless access point for devices to connect to, much like a wireless router. You don't need to use this software if you don't want to, as the start-up wizard gives you the option of installing only the device's drivers and using the Windows wireless utility instead, but there is more functionality if you do choose to install it.

Whereas the speed and reliability of the connection between my old router and dongle was somewhat haphazard, the connection between the two Asus components has been stellar, once I had configured the router correctly. No dropped connections, no signal strength issues, and no poor connection speeds. Said speed fluctuates only very slightly depending on where I am in the house, so all in all the connection has never been anything less than impressive; I don't get the 600 Mbps the router and dongle are allegedly capable of (I'm not even sure how to achieve that as the manuals for both aren't exactly detailed), but I do get a virtually constant 300, even from two rooms away. I keep the router on dual-band (2.4 / 5 GHz) mode with dual 20/40 MHz channels, and tend to pick the best band as the situation dictates, although I generally stick to the 2.4 GHz one as it is usually stronger.

I also tried the N53 with my older (non-Asus) router and the results were a bit better than they had been with the old dongle but nowhere near as sharp as with the Asus. I kept it in wireless `n' mode and the connection speed was improved, but only by a fairly modest amount, while the connection strength was still pretty variable. It seems that my old dongle that wasn't entirely to blame for my previous Wi-Fi woes, and you too may not see much of an improvement if you buy an N53 but don't upgrade your router at the same time.

The N53 comes with a USB extension lead that Asus say allows you to adjust the dongle for enhanced reception. While the lead is pitifully short, it is at least of the `fixed-flexible' variety, so it will stay in the position you set it in. Then again, having a lead so short seems to defeat the purpose of having one, as it barely moves the dongle away from your PC at all. I have a 2-metre cable that came with another wireless dongle and I tend to use this if I need to get increased range or better reception, so getting one like this with the Asus would have been nice.

I don't think the N53 would have offered much to me if I hadn't upgraded my router at the same time, so if you're thinking of buying one it might be worth bearing this in mind. But in combination with the N55 router, the difference in the connection has been like night and day. It's a bit of an ugly duckling, at least in my eyes, but pretty is as pretty does, and as a wireless dongle the N53 does pretty well. Just don't expect it to completely rejuvenate your network access if your router isn't up to scratch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great When It Works!!, 25 Nov 2012
This wireless dongle was purchased to go with the ASUS RT-N66U wireless router and I like that it has matching a design pattern. There is also included a very short but flexible USB attachment lead for better positioning of the dongle. On the side of the dongle is a small button for quick pairing to a wireless router if you have a supported device. When in operation, I achieve excellent signal strength on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

The dongle works very well using the 2.4ghz band and has been very stable using the latest drivers from the Asus website. There is however a problem that I am encountering when using the 5ghz band. It would work great for a while, but then the speed would drop intermittently to a complete halt requiring reconnection of the dongle either through the software or by removing and reinserting into the USB port to make it work again.

I have had two of these dongles and they both exhibit this same issue. I can verify that my router is not at fault as I have an xbox360 connected on the 5ghz band without any issues. I am hopeful for a driver update from Asus that can fix this problem but I am currently having to fall back to using the 2.4ghz band, which has worked without any issues so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus usb n53, 11 Jan 2013
C. B. Inns - See all my reviews
ASUS USB-N53 - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless USB Dongle. 802.11n, (Win7), 3 Year Warranty

Running Ubuntu 12.04, BT Infinity, desktop machine 2gb

Judging by reviews most people have a satisfactory experience with usb wifi. However,when the connection drops out because a flock of pigeons has flown over the house, or something equally unimportant, then it is quite easy to become furious quite quickly. I had used an Edimax EW 781Un - small, cheap and funky but completely unreliable on my system, would not reconnect after suspending etc. The Asus, bigger and more expensive, is reliable, good signal and reconnects after suspending. Not 5 stars because Ubuntu would not recognise the included CD. However, this did not seem to affect installation (simply added wireless key) and I suppose plug and play (without fiddling with settings) is what I wanted. So recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, and bad parts to it, 20 July 2014
I got this two weeks ago and have so far used it mostly on one particular desktop - one which will always be where it is, and which has only one floor between it and my router.

So far I've found good parts and bad parts to it.

The main good parts to me are its strength of signal and general reliability - it's held up for some time so far and has yet to actually 'drop' as my old dongle did.

The software that comes with it also shows quite a few extra statistics which may be of interest to those who are qualified in networking in some manner - be they an engineer or somebody who did a networking unit at some level to let them know what it means.

It also has a fairly nice look to it for me, one which isn't too drab and dull as many can be.

But, there's always some bad points.

It doesn't come with a Windows 8.1 driver which will be a pain to anybody who wants to use it with an 8.1 box. I'm on Windows 7 so have no issues with it, but some may do.

The cord that comes with it could be longer, but it's generally enough for most desktops and laptops - some though may find otherwise.

Overall, to me, it's worth it. Those on Windows 8.1 though will have issues, so look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wifi dongle, 2 Sep 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Great dongle, bought as I've just been upgraded to the Virgin Superhub 2 and wanted to see if 5G wifi was an improvement over my existing connection. Very easy to set up, works fine with the Superhub. Unusual design, looks great, but wish they'd designed it so the cap can be stored on the end of the dongle to ensure it's not lost.

It's a little bigger than a standard USB stick and comes with an extension cable, very easy to use with a desktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Usb-N53, 16 Aug 2012
This is an excellent product and a very good companion to the router ASUS_DSL_N55U.
It is very reliable and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Fast Wireless, 23 Oct 2012
Andrew Hilmy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Excellent wireless dongle, with no issues so far.

When used in conjunction with the ASUS dual band router, achieved wireless INTERNET speeds of over 160 Mbps, and this is with approximately 2-3 bars of wireless signal in windows 7.

When used in conjunction with the virgin superhub, speeds were significantly poorer on wireless (only ~50 Mbps), so if anyone is experiencing less than excellent speeds, double check that it's not due to poor router performance.

Also note that due to the nature of the 5g signal, 5g signal range will be less than 2.4Ghz.

In practice, this 5g capable dongle out-performs high speed home-plugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Dongle - duel band, 3 Dec 2012
K. J. Price "KJP" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This works very well and if connected to a laptop that already has a wireless (e.g. 2.4MHz) you can have this receive the 5MHz, therefore improving the reception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Great Product, super fast delivery!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014