Format: DVD|Change

on 15 September 2013
I have been a fan is Arena for years. I have managed to see them live twice. This dvd captures a brilliant live performance in Poland. Picture and sound quality are both very good considering its not blueray. If you like good prog rock go treat yourself
on 3 May 2013
After a Genesis-sized gap between albums, here come Arena with a cracking DVD filmed in 2011 in Poland as part of the Seventh Degree Tour. Welcome to new member Paul Manzi on vocals and the returning Jon Jowitt on bass and pedals. As a fan of the band I am really delighted with this 3rd DVD of theirs - showcasing a good selection of new tracks from Seventh Degree along with some superbly handled classic Arena tracks.

Highlights for me included City of Lanterns, Crying for Help IV and the epic Solomon, but it's a well-balanced set list. Paul Manzi is a really good vocalist and also jumps about the stage enthusiastically at times! The band sound really mature with Mr "Paganini of the Guitar" John Mitchell outstanding as ever.

Although filmed at the Wyspiañski Theatre in Katowice there are some different camera angles this time with a wandering stage cameraman getting amongst the band members.

So all in all I highly recommend this to fans of the band and anyone with an open mind to try some superb melodic progressive music.

Arena -Rapture [DVD] [2013]
on 14 August 2014
I am an Arena fanboy, albeit a recent one, so I have most of these tracks on CD but it's great to see the band in action filmed at the same Polish theatre that Pendragon use for their DVD's (makes good sense as Clive Nolan is in both bands).
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion but try as I could, I wasn't able to spot Paul Manzi singing in a half-hearted, lazy or disinterested way, I think he sings fantastically on this DVD and also on the Live 2011/2012 double CD too. I love Rob Snowden's singing too, both vocalists are great.
Hope to be able to see Arena next year when they celebrate 20 years. Well done, chaps!
on 19 May 2013
Great live performance by a great band, classic prog at it's best. John Mitchell's guitar work is stunning & Paul Manzi is a good fit vocally and image wise.
on 25 April 2013
After watching and listening to this twice today, I wouldn't recommend this DVD to anyone but fans.

The music is very well played but the vocals aren't quite right for me. I don't like the sometimes lazy delivery from PM. Given the power and range of his voice when he does let go, such as on Burning Down, I know he can sing. But too often he just stands there and sings the words without conviction.

John, Mick and Clive deliver their usual polished performances.

That brings me to Mr Jowitt. I think he is over rated. His gawd awful backing vocals at the beginning of the show are way off.

The other let down is the short interview with Clive and Mick. Clive always seems OK to answer questions. Mick, gets annoyed, just like the last DVD. If you don't like interviews, don't do them.

And if it is true that Rob Sowden did some vocals on these songs. I'd like to hear his versions.
on 24 April 2013
New comer on vocals Paul Manzi joins prog bassist John Jowitt returning to the Arena camp several years on. THe band were unsurprisingly promoting the Rapture album on a European tour with the obligatory stop-off in Poland. To my ears, Rapture is the most accessible album of the band's career and I would have been happy to hear & see the album played in full. However, Arena had been away from the live (ahem!) arena for 6 years, so they cover the back catalogue in some detail.

All the band perform well, but being a big fan of John Mitchell, I'd single out his playing in particular - the solo at the end of The Visitor is outstanding. Extras include an interview with Clive and Mick which is enjoyable if only for Mick's increasing irritation with the tone of questioning and Clive's facial expressions in response to some of Mick's answers! However, just let the music and the performances speak for themselves.

ps where I say Rapture, I am of course referring to the 7th Degree of Seperation, the current album.The Seventh Degree Of Separation (Special Edition + DVD) Apologies
on 11 May 2015