5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Easy (and other lies) - Duff McKagen
Now, i read a lot of biographies and many of them music related and this is one of the best books I have read.

Duff draws you into his story. It is superbly written and the beginning half of the book floats between two different times in his life sublimely. This isn't a story about Gun's n Roses, this is a story about a mans journey through life...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by Tubs

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Published 7 months ago by Culture Enthusiast

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb writing, clichéd story..., 15 July 2013
Dr. J. A. Grange (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I was a big Guns n' Roses when I was younger, and I recently thoroughly enjoyed Slash's autobiography (I was surprised; I NEVER read autobiographies), so I was looking forward to reading Duff's account.

Rather than being a book about Guns n' Roses (although, of course this is covered), the book tracks Duff through his life, from outcast teen to "dorky" dad. Along the way, Duff recounts his struggle with drink and drugs, and his "afterlife" from addiction comprising mountain biking and martial arts, as well as his return to education.

I couldn't help but be impressed by Duff's attitude whilst reading this book. I felt I was cheering him on throughout most of the book; you can't help but empathise with such an honest man. His writing is also top-notch: although it is not clear from the Kindle version I have, I don't think he had a ghost-writer, yet his writing is superb, bringing all aspects of the story to life. I felt like I was in Seattle! Duff is articulate, detailed, and brutally honest about the many aspects of his life.

Although this is not fiction, and thus we can't blame Duff for the storyline, I grew rather weary of the discussion about different characters' battles with drugs, which just seemed too cliché. As I say, this isn't the author's fault, but when yet another character dropped off the wagon towards the end of the book I just couldn't help but feel the book was getting a bit repetitive. This really tarnished what, in my mind, was shaping up to be an excellent book indeed. But, I am sure others won't find this a negative, so don't let this put you off.

Despite this, I would recommend it to any fan of the band, as many interesting insights are contained within.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 24 Dec 2013
Culture Enthusiast (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was a GN'R fan back in the 80s and I was curious to read Duff's autobiography. I was a little disappointed though. OK, I was expecting the whole stories about sex, drugs, more drugs and alcohol, but the first quarter of the book is quite a cliche. Young guy with disrupted family (dad cheated on the mum and moved out with his new flame), started experimenting with drugs and alcohol at a very young age trying to control his panic attacks. Deeply into music he struggled to make ends meet. He goes down to LA from Seattle and goes from band to band up to when the magic starts with GN'R. In this part of the book I liked the description of the passion these 5 guys had for music and the lengths they went through to pursue their dream (including a trip from hell to Seattle to play a gig that turned out to be not very successful, sleeping on the floor of their "studio" and working dead end jobs to pay the rent and trying to buy decent equipment). The tale delves into the story of the craziness that surrounded GN'R: from junkies to rock stars, with a lot of deaths for overdose around them - some of their friends and other musicians. Here Duff goes through his personal hell: drugs, more drugs, alcohol addiction and sex. He does not hold back or try to sugarcoat it. The blur of touring under the influence of all sorts (up to not remembering where he has been playing the night before due to being too stoned) and the internal battles in the band, culminating with Steven Adler being kicked out for excessive drug intake (he could not play anymore), Izzy Stradlin' leaving and Axl Rose playing the dictator. In the middle of this craze two of Duff's marriages ended in divorce.

The last quarter of the book is more upbeat and positive: Duff goes through the pain of having his pancreas literally exploding because of his substance and alcohol abuse, coming to the realisation that life is more than sex, drugs and R&R. It will be his new born passion for mountain biking and kickboxing that save him from death. I liked the openness about his fears (hanging around with junkies? For what? Am I able to play sober? Can I stay sober?) and how he was able to overcame them and to have the confidence of becoming himself. He finally found also true love, became a father of two, got into Velvet Revolver, got a degree and developed a passion for education. The relapse with pills and the recovery, up to his decision to set up a new company helping rockers with their financial investments and an accidental meeting with Axl Rose in London.

Overall a light read - I enjoyed reading the story behind some of the songs I have been listening to for years, but the way the book is written is really basic (maybe a ghost writer could have helped giving it more depth?). The part on the GN'R tour is quite predictable with all the drugs, alcohol, drama. I am pleased he sobered up and found his way for a fulfilling life. I really liked the definition that he gives about a rockstar - just a job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
great insight into great band

5.0 out of 5 stars So Easy To Review This !!!, 1 July 2014
By far the best "rock" autobiography I've read. I've been so disappointed with other similar autobiographies that I nearly didn't buy this. There is no glorification of drugs, alcohol, casual sex, rock-n-roll and, in my opinion, it's a very believable and personal account of both the highs and crashing lows of a talented musician. Not simply a boastful glimpse behind-the-scenes. I have yawned my way through other books of this kind and their topic "I love me" can become tedious and self-indulgent. This is refreshingly different and inspirational. Even if you're not a Guns N Roses fan I would recommend this without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duff rules!, 27 Jun 2014
Great read so far - about half way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars love, 8 Jun 2014
having read slash and axl's side of things i wanted to read duff's version of events. we'll never know exactly what happened but its a good read anyway

5.0 out of 5 stars bloody fantastic, 3 Jun 2014
An avid follower of G'n'R (I am almost 40 don't you know I couldn't get enough of this book. It's not all Guns. It's personal and it's brilliant. One man going to hell and facing his demons! Coming out strong on the other side. I couldn't put it down. By far THE best auto ("rock star" :-)) so far. I'm pretty sad the book is over. But not the story I guess. If you read on a tablet etc. be sure to go right to the end for the pictures. My love affair has been rekindled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded like a freight train, 22 April 2014
A very enjoyable read. Have always loved G'n'R (especially Appetite) and as a bass player have always rated Duff as a player. Was good to get some backstory on the early years of the band as well as a glimpse of Duff's life after that. Really enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's So Easy..to get a book written for you, 9 April 2014
Always loved GnR so I fancied a read. Most of the stories have been told from different perspectives but it was still a good insight into his views on the band's direction and relationships. The latter part of the book deals with Revolver, other part time ventures and then it seems to run out of steam. I'm glad he got cleaned up, and it's great that he's here to reflect.
It's okay, nothing outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploding Guns, 4 April 2014
One of the best autobiographies of music related lifestyles and insights I have read.
McKagan spares no punches in this full on battering account of the rise and inevitable implosion of Guns 'N Roses.
Never scathing in his analysis of events,McKagan is painfully honest.
Close to death he recounts his inspirational fight back to health and family happiness.
If you are going to read one book about the most dynamic band of the late 80s and early 90s this is the one to choose.
Exploding Guns sums it up. A 5 star rating.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›