4.0 out of 5 stars Do I buy the HD238's or HD239's?
I honestly wasn't sure what headphones to buy as I'm switching from my standard use of in-ear headphones to over head headphones. However I didn't want anything too large or bulky.

Published 19 months ago by Patrick Crinnigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality is not built to match its price tag
Sennheiser has its own name in audio, but one thing to be sure is that these headphones are on their bottom range.
Don't be fooled by the price tag for HD239, these are basically made with almost the same quality than the HD219, those are sold on prime for 35 pounds. Less than half price of the HD239.
The audio lines are so thin, they even look weak and I...
Published 7 months ago by Ding Ding Shi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Do I buy the HD238's or HD239's?, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 239 On-Ear Open-Air Design Stereo Headphones with Kindle Compatibility (Electronics)

I thought about Dr Dre's headphones, the cheaper ones at 115 or similar. However the reviews for that were terrible and when I tried them in John Lewis they were nothing special.

So for me it came down to getting some nice sennheiser's as those are the best pair of in-ears I've ever owned. In John lewis the HD239's were 90. I refunded the gift from christmas, and then on Amazon bought a pair of HD238's (35) and a pair of HD239's (65), meaning I only spent 10 more and I wanted to see the difference between these headphones.

I discovered that Sennheiser have definitely got it RIGHT. They know how to make a good quality affordable pair of headphones. The HD238's were very good for their price, I thought there was going to be no difference at first, but there is definitely a clear difference in quality, which is brilliant because otherwise you could be paying 30 less for essentially the same pair of headphones. The bass and treble is clearer within the HD239's, showing the voice and every individual instrument slightly better resulting in and overall much better quality.

The one disadvantage which is obvious with both pairs (although slightly less so with the HD239's), is that if you like to listen to music loudly like me, you are going to disturb everyone around you as they are very clear and loud to everyone around you, for instance very disturbing if listening on a bus.

I have decided to use the HD238's because they are still superb, and I tend to destroy headphones when I use them, so when I do destroy them I can go onto the more expensive and better HD239's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser quality, 13 Jun 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sennheiser really know what they're doing when it comes to headphones, and as a headphone specialist they should. I have pairs of Sennheisers I've owned for years and years that are still going strong. The HD 239s continue in the company's tradition of high quality: they're well designed and well built.

The HD 239s are "optimised" for portable audio devices. This means the bass response has been cranked up, since iPods and smartphones, etc. are usually lacking in bass reproduction compared to larger audio systems. The HD 239s sound great with an iPod or similar device and, to encourage their use with portable players, they come with a nice storage pouch. They might sound a little too bassy for some people's tastes when connected to other audio sources though.

The HD 239s are worth considering if you're looking for a decent pair of headphones to replace your stock Apple earphones or another player's stock 'phones. They're comfortable, lightweight and great-sounding - plus they won't break the bank.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality is not built to match its price tag, 6 Jan 2014
Ding Ding Shi "D.D" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
The audio lines are so thin, they even look weak and I searched the web a little to find easily that lots people are complaining about these lines break after a few months even with care.

Comfort is not designed to fit big heads. I do have a big head, it's very tight, pads are ok but long wearing (like an hour or so) will result sqeezed feeling and uncomfortness. I've been into Bose's shop and tried a few model with similar sized pads, they feel a lot more comfort than these.

Other than the quality of the made and comfortness. People may argue the most important thing is the sound quality. Well, I can only say this: the HD239 cannot impress you unless you really turn the volume up. And keep in mind it's open-air design. It isn't the really same open air as other brands, it is so "open-air" even I try to keep the volume down to about half than my old open-air headphones, it is still quite a disturb to people around me, and they never mentioned to me that my old headphones were noisy before. There, you can image what it is like when I had these on with the volume to provide some punch.

Final words, don't buy these headphones, even spend the same money on a pair sony gives you better value. That said, I don't even like sony's audio products!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bass rich sound improved by turning the volume up full - but they've failed three times under 2 year warranty, 31 May 2012
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am into HiFi and detailed accurate sound reproduction, and to me these headphones are anything but - so if you are looking for a neutral audiophile headphone type of experience with your iPod definitely look elsewhere. However the headphone output from the average iPod isn't the perfect analogue audio source either. So the tonal response of these Sennheiser HD239s has been modified to sound 'better' with a typical iPod headphone socket. Unfortunately to my ears these headphones sound bass heavy and give vocals a rather recessed quality that I don't really like. Clarity and sound quality certainly does improve if you significantly up the volume on these HD239s, but that tonal balance still remains, and I find I'm always choosing my other iPod headphones in preference, like my in-ear Radiopaq Rocks and Sennheiser OCX 880s, or better still Sennheiser PXC250 mk1s that fold for travel and include active noise suppression. I also tried the HD239s with iTunes on my PC ZxR Soundblaster and Arcam USB rPAC headphone ports and thought my 10 Philips Philips SBCHL145/10 Lightweight Headband Headphones sounded better for vocal clarity, so when Sennheiser say the HD239 sound is 'optimised for iPod' they clearly mean it - and in fact I do prefer the HD239s to the cheap Philips on my iPod, largely as the latter are too bass light. It's possible that the HD239's tonal balance also helps mask nasty MP3/AAC compression artifacts, but these aren't a problem for me as I buy audio on CDs and rip to ALAC Apple Lossless (highest sound quality) via iTunes, having loads of file storage space on my iPod 160Gb Classics. I listen to mostly rock, pop and occasionally folk/country-n-western, i.e. music with a lot of vocals.

Many others, including reviewers here, seem to enjoy the HD239's weighty balance to the sound, so if you like a mellower more bassy sound via headphones and you can live with the sound levels pumped up, you will undoubtedly rate these Sennheisers far more highly. And at least they aren't too bright - the hi-end treble seems OK, even a bit dull perhaps. The open back design of these HD239s does let in and out all manner of sounds, so the headphones aren't for noisy places like commuting, but are perfect for quiet offices or about the home. They drown out the TV in use, but the headphones sound leakage would annoy others in the room. Build quality wise they are mostly quality plastic rather than metal, but feel substantial enough. The headphone cups fold flat for storage and a nice black storage bag is included in the box (which I use a lot). You can hold one headphone cup against one ear, recording engineer style, if you wish. The only other negative, other than the high price, is that the headphone cable is very very thin, rather unnecessarily so really for relatively bulky and expensive iPod headphones. I've tried repairing similar headphone cable from Sennheiser iPod headphones and found that the conducting wires were so fine I couldn't even locate them, let alone resolder them. I expect the cable will be the weakest link for reliability, so I'm handling them with care - although they do have a two year warranty, and the cable access points are well protected with rubber cable supports. The headphones clamp on the head quite tightly, which I like as they rarely fall off, even when the cable is snagged - the headband is plastic not metal though so you can't bend it apart to reduce the clamp.

Although I find these headphones sound better with iPod audio, provided they are played loud, they don't meet my expectations at street prices of 60 and I find I'm never using them - I know I'm spoilt by listening to PC iTunes music in Apple Lossless format using my great 300 Arcam rPAC USB DAC and Grado 125 headphones combination, but I feel the identical tracks on my iPod Classics should sound clearer, brighter and simply a bit better for this amount of money - granted with the right tracks these HD239s do sound good, but with many others they're just a bit dull. They may have that good thumping bass line, but that's about it. I guess some cats got it (like my old 80 Sennheiser PXC250 mk1s), and some cats ain't. If you want the bass rich experience though, these Sennheiser HD239s may be ideal for you, but I suggest you audition the headphones with others before you buy - I eventually gave them to my 13 year old nephew and I must admit he absolutely loves them with his iPod Touch.

----------------------

UPDATE March 2013: As I kind of expected the thin headphone cable failed after 9 months use and then again after 1.25 years - we lost channels to crackles. Still there was the two year warranty and I registered the fault on Sennheisers website and sent back the headphones with proof of purchase each time (print-out of Amazon order). The repaired headphones came back working perfectly within 7 days (looked like a new pair, sealed in a bag with another travel pouch first time and a brand new blister packed pair the second). OK We had to pay 3.20 postage each time to Sennheiser, but that wasn't much, and it was great service - worth an extra star. My nephew was really pleased to get them back and really looks after them - but they promptly failed again after another 2 weeks and he's now given up on them, but I did return them for a third time for replacement (and another boxed brand new pair were promptly sent by Sennheiser). In May 2014 our warranty ran out so next failure and it's the bin. Although audio channels keep failing the cabling always looks perfect. Knocked a star off again for poor reliability, although great 5* customer service by Sennheiser. Might be fine for careful adults though, although my nephew loves them so much he says he's always treated them with the teenager equivalent of kid gloves and he's cross they keep failing (he would rate them 5* if they just kept working). You could also try Amazon for a refund if they fail, as they've honoured 4 year guarantees on my failed Logitech mice (refund or replacement offered).

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressively clear, accurate sound - but they are for very specific needs, 21 May 2012
L. Hennessy (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was under the impression that these HD239s were just a cosmetic update of the Sennheiser HD238 On-Ear Stereo Headphones, but having got on the 'phone to the good folks at Sennheiser, they have informed me that these have a higher frequency response - in practise, the difference will be very hard to notice, and the 238s are a lot cheaper (at time of writing) being the old version, so you may want to consider them instead.

Fresh out of the box these headphones sound quite restricted - but if you run them in by playing something on them overnight at a good volume, the sound tangibly improves; the soundstage is wide and detailed, and the bass, midrange and treble all sound distinct and separate and get better as they are used more. I really don't know what they mean when they call these cans 'high-resolution' - by definition all but the most awful ones are, aren't they? It smells like marketing lingo to me.

I like a nice 'unmeddled-with' sound; I want it to be reproduced the way it was meant to be heard; these produce a good volume and a clear, natural sound; Using equaliser functions should provide enough tinkering to distort it to your own preference; when paired with the FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier, they sound very impressive indeed for the price, and the bass can then be added according to taste.

The design is 'open backed' - this means that it's designed to let in external sounds (and leak them out, too!), which results in a much roomier, expansive listening experience. If you need to be listening out for the 'phone, or if you just don't want to be shut off from the external world, these are perfect. I use them when I cycle (this is still dangerous, but much better than my other headphones which shut everything out). They're not so good on the train though - you'll get looks!

If you don't want the outside world to intrude (or to be 'leaked upon', as it were), then you'll be after 'closed-backed' ones - there are many different options available. 'Closed-backed' ones generally tend to have a more 'in the head' sound, in my experience.

Comfort-wise, they were hard to get used to at first, simply because they sit on the ear rather than around or inside, like other designs; this resulted in quite an insecure loose feeling, as they don't grip the head well - but you get used to them quickly enough. They are light and the ear pads are covered in mesh cloth (not quite as comfortable as leatherette, but still very nice).

The cable is very thin, and 1.4 meters long - this is, apparently, the optimum length for portable listening - an extension lead becomes necessary for home use, I've found. They come with a bag which provides protection from dirt when in transit (the earcups fold flat, but the unit doesn't fold up other than that), but my previous experience with Sennheiser at this price range is that they are made from quite fragile plastic, and designed in such a way that the narrow joint sand hinges break very easily. The components are described as 'premium metallic' ones, but I'm not convinced; I've gone through lots of pairs in my time. The bag won't prevent impact breaks.

They look very nice and trendy on the head whilst also being understated, and the small cups will be a boon for those who feel a bit self-conscious when wearing big ones on the street.

Overall, a very accomplished-sounding product which caters for very specific needs. If they conform to your needs, you'll be very pleased with them. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely headphones - but not for the commute, 20 May 2012
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not an audiophile. I don't have an expensive hifi or speaker system, and I don't have any high end headphones to compare these to.

I also own some Panasonic RP-HTX7AE-K Retro Style Monitor Headphones - Black [Electronics] and pair of Sennheiser HD229-BLACK HD229 HiFi Headphones with Excellent Bass Performance in Black & Red. The sound quality of the HD239s is far superior.

The sounds is very detailed and crisp. There is probably too much bass for my tastes (although I have only had them a couple of days, so this might change as they settle down) but there is a lot of what I can only describe as width. The HD229s sound too bassy, but the music also sounds narrow (I wish I could describe it better). These are lovely. You can hear everything and, to be honest, even within a day or two I can now hear things in music I hadn't heard before

The design is fine. The ear cups are made of fabric, and I am not sure how long that will last. There is also a fabric/foam bad on the band, which makes them very comfortable to wear. I would also worry that the wire and 3.5mm connector are delicate. The cable on the Panasonics is very robust, on these Sennheisers it seems very fragile. I would worry about the cable going if I were travelling with them.

So, in terms of sound, they are great. The design seems fine, and the comfort is excellent.

The only downside, from my point of view, is that they are open rather than closed. So they are noisy for the people around you. I would not use them on a bus or a train, just for worries about how irritating it would be for my fellow passengers.

But if you're after a really nice set of headphones for home use, I think you could do a lot, lot worse than these.

UPDATE: I have now had these for a couple of months. And I absolutely LOVE them. There are the problems with their being open backed so the sound leakage is lousy. But the sound is beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars On-ear "open" headphones for MP3 players, 27 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones are intended for MP3 players and similar small devices, so they're no substitute for hi-fi quality headphones, or indeed speakers. They are however good general-purpose headphones, capable of delivering a bit of oomph but without intrusively heavy bass. From my listening, the sound seems to be very well balanced between low, mid and top range.

They are "open" headphones, so you can hear what's going on around you (which can be useful), but other people may be able to hear some of the noise from your headphones (which is bad). The sound quality of open headphones is not necessarily as good as you can get with "closed" headphones, but the difference is not too big. These headphones are "on-ear", so they sit on your ear, not around them, so they don't make your ears so hot, but they can press on your ears a bit, which some people find uncomfortable. However I was surprised to find that these ones remained comfortable for me even when I wore them for long periods and when moving around. There's loads of padding in the earpieces, and a big lump of foam in the middle of the headband.

The cable, which comes out of the left headphone, is fairly short, and has a 3.5mm jack (without a quarter-inch adapter), which is about right for a personal stereo.

Although I prefer the Sennheiser HD449 Closed-Back Stereo Headphones when I'm listening on my own, if I'm with someone else, it's nice to be able to hear if they're talking to you - and that's where headphones like these ones come in very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 7 Jun 2014
I would recommend these to anyone wanting a lightweight, crisp sounding set of headphones. The design is simple, lightweight and the sound is excellent. A cracking buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leakage, 10 Jan 2014
These headphones are very comfortable to wear and the sound quality is very good.

The only disadvantage is that they leak sound a lot! I had the volume at its minimum and still other people could hear it.

Apart from that, a good set of headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 July 2013
Ta Rykala - See all my reviews
Great natural sound, with enough oomph, sparkle and stereo separation. Very light and comfortable to wear. Nice pouch in the package. Sound much better than my previous ones - HD-228s.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›