4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor - Shame about the warranty problem
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by billdeven

2.0 out of 5 stars Backlight Bleeding and Colour Tinting
Firstly the colour and sharpness of this monitor is very good but this is severly let down by the fact that Dell have started to ship out the ORIGINAL REV A00 models again which were notorious for having backlight bleeding and colour tinting issues.

Published 22 months ago by R1134

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor - Shame about the warranty problem, 13 Oct. 2012
This is a good quality, reasonably priced monitor. Picture is sharp and clear and the build quality is good. Stand is easy to attach and very adjustable. The bad news is the 3 year warranty is very hard to register with Dell. To do it on line you need a "service tag" - there isn't one. Amazon buy this item in bulk from a third party - in my case a dealer in Istambul, it seems, so no real surprise that Dell has no record of it. So it means hanging on the line to Dell and trying to pursuade them to register the warranty. Dell don't seem very keen on you buying from companies like Amazon who are described as "shelf stackers". Here is the advice from Dell on how to register the warranty:

Contact Dell Order Support for your country. The Order Support agent will need to submit a Fusion request to the CTS Retail OPS queue to get a Dell Order number attaching you to the monitor. They will need the following information to fill out the form -

Online Retail Store:
Purchase date from Online Retail Store:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Model:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number (on the back of the monitor)

Good luck - you may need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap IPS monitor, 27 Sept. 2011
Tomas Vareika (Panevezys, Lithuania) - See all my reviews
I have been looking at IPS monitors for some time, only affordable are Asus PA238Q and this. I bought this monitor for about 203£ including shipping from the merchant at Amazon.
It is a great monitor for everyday use. It is an e-IPS panel, which today is the lowest quality IPS panel. Still, I find this not a problem, since other IPS panels are at least twice as much expensive.

Picture Quality
Monitor has 16.7m colours, they are solid and saturated. Contrast is good. Black levels are not the best, especially when viewing from angle. Watching from a very short distances (70cm and less), it is possible to see between white pixels and this damaged the quality of the colour (this happens only with a very light colour, mostly white). It is great for gaming, people who say that IPS is not for gaming are wrong. At the moment I use this monitor for gaming on PS3, but in the future I will work with graphics applications (Photoshop etc) and I am sure it will perform well.

Performance
There is no ghosting, or at least no visible ghosting. Monitor finds connection instantly, turns into energy saving/sleeping mode as soon as I turn off the computer. I no longer have to check if the chair is in the right place, so I can see picture from the right angle. Monitor does not offer as good viewing angles as other type IPS panels, but it is fairly good (far better than TN).

There are no issues with tint or dead pixels with my panel, people used to complain about older Ultrasharp monitors which had slight tint issues.

Look of the monitor
Monitor looks great. It comes with buttons, not touch nonsense which many manufacturers use. The stand is top quality: functional and stylish. I was surprised how good the stand is. I heared people complaining about Ultrasharp coating, and it is indeed a problem when looking at white images. For gaming and movies watching, it is not a problem. For working and browsing (looking the the static white (or light) view) it is. It is a matte surface, I would much rather use this than glossy MAC screens which are a nightmare to work in the lit environment.

Connectivity
I am sure you can read it in the description. My issue is that there is no HDMI, I had to buy HDMI-DVI cable in order to connect my PS3 to the monitor. Monitor support HDCP, it is pretty much a standart these days. Monitor also came with DVI-DVI, VGA-VGA and one USB-something cables, official description does not mention them.

Conclusion
I have surfed a lot about this monitor, sadly there is no decent review of it. Some user impressions on youtube, some articles about specs. I was surprised that even one month after the release of the monitor no-one wrote a decent review. If you are reading my review in order to find out about whether or not you should buy this monitor, believe me, you will not be disappointed. Monitor also comes with Dell 3 Year Next Day replacement warranty, this is a major thumbs up for any device.

Only cons:
Coating produces ''sparkles'' (reason for -1 star)
Black levels can be darker
No HDMI

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp & Clean, 19 Nov. 2011
D. Nekooi "Games Designer" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
Great monitor!

I did a lot of research on monitors for my pc upgrade. I'm a hardcore gamer and on a side note, am enjoying Battlefield 3 & Skyrim a lot lol.

Anyway, as I am a gamer, I wanted to make sure the monitor I bought would be up to the task. However, I'm also a graphics and games designer, so it's important to have correct colour representation on the screen and a good size for managing complex scenes.

This monitor does it all!

Sleek and non-intrusive design. Easy to use U.I, fantastic picture and virtually no input lag. For those that don't know, input lag is a delay that is caused by a monitor between the graphics card sending the data to be displayed, and the monitor digesting and representing the data visually. Now, most monitors are around 30 m/s which is absolutely fine. Anything above 30 ms might be noticeable to some gamers, especially in fast paced games like UT or Quake. over 40ms and its going to be more noticeable and so on...

This monitor has an average input lag of, 0.8ms and a maximum of 30ms - meaning your always in a safe zone and 99% of the time your running at an amazingly fast feedback speed. Don't read too much into input lag, but its a factor because some cheaper monitors seem great until your missing a frame or so every other second (which could be the frame an enemy pops out by the way!). Saying that, just because a monitor is expensive, doesn't mean its a great monitor!

I've seen plenty of monitors for £300 and they aren't fit for anything but still images, even films can appear "laggy" - not good!

Anyway, that's enough scary lag shenanigans...

If your looking for a 22" - 24" monitor for under £200 that will do pretty much everything from hardcore gaming, to graphics design and also play consoles - its hard to find anything better than this. If your not as picky as me, you should find what your looking for, for about £150 ish

A down side, and one that doesn't affect performance is: No HDMI - this is a let down, as HDMI is pretty much a standard now! However, DELL (along with others) are trying to push a new standard called Display Port. There are no noticeable improvements to picture quality, its very similar to the HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray war. Anyway, to cut a long story short, you will need a graphics card that outputs display port, or hope its compatible with a cheap converter...otherwise its going to be around £80 for a converter!

I've got a graphics card that outputs Display Port so I'm ok - but its something that might be a deal breaker for others so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, great monitor. Difficult to find a competitor for the same price! Would have loved a 24" but its over £100 more so not really worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Backlight Bleeding and Colour Tinting, 19 April 2013

Why Dell decided to start shipping out the REV A00 again instead of the REV A06 I don't know. Maybe they had spares lying around or wanted to cut costs.

Whatever the reason, if you get a REV A00 model monitor you are most likely going to have some form of backlight bleeding and colour tinting which is very noticeable when there are dark colours on the screen.

There are numerous reviews online to back up the fact that the REV A00 models are inherently flawed so I would recommend staying well clear of them. If you can pick up the latest REV A06 models then go ahead as these are far better but Dell seem to have made this extremely difficult for the time being by only supplying REV A00 models.

Overall a very good monitor with one of the best adjustable stands I have used but the issues with the REV A00 models really lets this monitor down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor. Very Pleased with the Purchase, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor (Personal Computers)
This is a very good monitor which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. For people that are coming from a square monitor to a wide screen monitor and wondering if it is a wise, or useful, choice I would say don't hesitate. I can do work in the wide screen in ways that I just couldn't do with my old square screen. For example, work on two documents side-by-side on the screen - really is a huge improvement. Watching wide-screen movies is greatly improved as well.

To install the basic driver for the monitor in Windows read the document "Readme_U2312HM.txt" that comes on the CD provided with monitor. That document has an error in detailing the path to the driver. In the document you are told to look for XP or Vista drivers folders. Those folders do not exist on the CD. The path you will really be looking for would be [CDDriveLabel]:\drivers\. Just get Windows to Search in that "drivers" folder and Windows will find and install the driver for you. Manually installing the driver in this way will give you all normal functions you would expect of a monitor including 'sleep mode'. If you want to use the monitor in 'Portrait Mode' then you would make that setting in the Control Panel of your graphics chip driver (which will already be installed on your system - you don't have to install additional software to achieve this). I would note that when I first installed this driver the monitor was set to refresh at a rate of 75Hz. This was wrong and produced some strange lighting effects on the screen. After you have installed the driver reboot your system, then go and double-check the monitor is refreshing at 60Hz. Once I did that the strange lighting issues disappeared. Then all you need to do is set the monitor resolution to 1920 x 1080 and you are done with dealing with the driver.

However, I would note that if you're running Windows and don't have Microsoft's "ClearType Tuner" installed on your system then go to the Microsoft website and search for it (it's free). Download and install it. It will install as "ClearType Tuning" in your 'Control Panel'. Once installed launch it from the Control Panel. You will see two tabs "Advanced" and "Introduction". Deal with the settings in Advanced first. You'll want to select that you want to use 'ClearType' and generally selecting the highest (darkest) Contrast setting works best. For 'LCD Screen Striping' you'll want RGB. Once you've done the Advanced settings click 'Apply'. Now goto the Introduction tab and step your way through the Wizard. Once you have made the settings you want you will find that text display on the monitor improves very dramatically.

There are other drivers "PowerNap" and "Entech API" that you can install for the monitor as well. These drivers provide (apparently) advanced sleep mode functions. Specifically they allow a 'dim screen on sleep' mode - so the monitor dims rather than just switching into standby for sleep mode. To install them click on "monitor.exe" on the monitor CD and follow the install procedure that is presented to you. You need to watch this. If your system is set up to 'Auto-play' CDs then on inserting the CD "monitor.exe" will be automatically launched and these drivers (not the basic driver) will be the ones you are being invited to install. However, if like me, you don't want Microsoft .NET on your system then you should be aware that installing these drivers will automatically install .NET as well. I haven't installed these drivers (only the basic driver) on my own system and the monitor works fine in every way. I looked at the Dell website for information on these drivers and one of the tech guys there reports them as bloatware - let Windows deal with the power management functions. There were also a couple of accounts there of people installing these drivers and running into problems. So, don't install these additional drivers, you don't really need them anyway.

Note that if you are buying from Amazon, and possibly other third-party sellers, you won't get a "Service Tag" with the monitor. This means you can't check your warranty status at the Dell website. I phoned Dell. (Tip: when making the call select that you bought the monitor from Dell - even though you didn't. If you don't do that you get an automated run-around that in the end gives you an automated message to contact the company you bought the monitor from regarding your enquiry.)

By the end of the call I found out that (even though I had bought the monitor from Amazon) I did have a 3 year warranty. However, there is a slight catch. If you don't have an "Order No" then Dell will start the warranty period from the date the monitor was Manufactured (this is given on the back of the monitor). If you do have an Order No. then your warranty, for 3 years, will start from the date of the "Invoice Date" on the receipt you get from Amazon. In my case I found the Order No. on a label on the Dell box the monitor came in (study the box carefully and see if you can spot that number). The woman I spoke with took that number and some contact details and then (at my request) gave me a direct phone number to contact if ever I needed to claim under warranty. So seems you do have a 3 year warranty even though you bought from Amazon (which is as things should be), but I'd strongly recommend phoning Dell and checking up when you receive the monitor.

Again, find this a great monitor and am very happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best value monitors on the market!!, 3 Feb. 2012
This Dell U2312HM monitor is great value for money. This monitor uses an E-IPS 1080p display which has richer colours and great over all image quality. I upgraded from a 22inch TN panel and I will never go back to TN Screens after using this monitor. IPS monitors usually have slow response times but the reason I choose this monitor is because of the positive reviews which stated that this monitor had impressively low input lag. After playing games like COD Black OPS and Counter Strike I believe this to be true.

The image quality is amazing for the price, when I first turned it on my jaw dropped and was amazed at the high quality colour reproduction of this monitor. Though with some calibrating I was able to improve the IQ even more.

The custom settings I used which are suggested off TFT Central were: Red 92, Green 88, Blue 98, Brightness 20 and Contrast 75. The stand for this monitor is very well made and feels very sturdy on my desk, the stand has tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment. Also the on screen display is very easy to navigate and quite responsive.

I highly recommend this to anyone in the market for a 22/23inch full HD monitor whether it's for gaming, movies or especially to people who do a lot of Photo editing and don't want to fork out £600 or more on an expensive high end iPS monitor.

Best value monitor on the market today, take my word for it and you will not be disappointed.

Pros:
Great Value
High Quality colour reproduction
Good ergonomic stand
low power consumption

Cons:
Screen very bright out of the box
No HDMI

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, 10 Dec. 2011
[Bought direct from Amazon, not marketplace]. I needed a monitor specifically for playing multi-player FPS (first person shooters) on my Xbox 360. My work monitor, being a professional NEC one, has over 40ms input lag and it was really getting on my nerves. 40ms may not sound like a lot, but it notices once you add in lag from the servers (all combined it was over 250ms - a quarter of a second!). After a little research I found a review, on a site I trust, that stated this particular monitor has an average input lag of *0.6ms* That's as fast as a CRT! :)

This monitor lacks a HDMI port: it has a Display port, along with DVI and VGA. I already had a HDMI to DVI cable, that I used to hook up my NEC DVI to the Xbox HDMI, which I reused to hook up this Dell. Once connected I was very pleased with the picture. It has an IPS panel with good view angles. Being a bit fussy about what I see, I messed about with it, and the menu controls are very easy to use and navigate. I'm not using this monitor with my PC so I can't comment on how the aspect ratio of the screen works/ feels with windows. I'm sure it would be ok. Xbox's maximum resolution is 1080p - a perfect fit in my case, and no bars above and below the picture.

In play (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)) I am very happy with this monitor. It's quick to respond, and although server lag is still there, I notice the difference. If you are a hard core gamer, or if you can't stand lag, this monitor may be worth a look.

It nearly matched all my criteria: low input lag, IPS, 1080p, but missed out on the HDMI input. If I didn't have a DVI-HDMI cable I would probably have given it 4 stars. It seems odd that Dell would put out a 16:9 monitor and miss off the HDMI. Still HDMI to DVI (or Display port) cables are easy to find (and deep down they are all basically the same - no conversion of the signal is needed, merely a different plug).YMMV.

All in all: very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 28 Nov. 2011
A. L. Taylor "tonka_taylor" (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
Compared to a slightly older DELL IPS monitor of a similar size (but slightly lower resolution) the improvement is very clear when first switched on - the LED backlight is great compared to the flourescent backlight in the old monitor. Overall it seems to do its job brilliantly - would buy another one if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars DELL ULTRASHARP U2312HM versus ASUS AP238Q LCD IPS Monitors, 30 Jan. 2012
Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor

I also have been looking at 23 and 24 inch monitors for some time.
From professional and user reviews, I narrowed down to two : the ASUS AP238Q and DELL 23 and 24 inch IPS monotors.

I ordered the ASUS. (Paying for delivery.) Taking it out of the box, it really looked the part but...that's about it.
Appearances can and do deceive.

The ASUS had the following faults.

1.Excessive light bleed in three corners and on three sides.
2.HDMI failed to function.
3.Software on CD in RAR format couldn't use the ASUS drivers - I know nothing about RAR files.ASUS's reasons for this
were ridiculous - anti virus.
4.Support from ASUS - dismissive almost to the point of non existence like its HDMI.

I returned the ASUS monitor as faulty, had my payment refunded but had to pay for return of a faulty product.I then
turned to look at the DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM.

After further research on suppliers, specs and prices I went direct to DELL - with free delivery. I ordered on a
Thursday evening it arrived Saturday morning - from BELGIUM via UPS. Superb service, the package could be tracked
all the way.
The DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM went together very easily - very well designed.
When connected and powered up, I was immediately shocked how superior it was to the ASUS AP238Q.

Because I needed a connected speaker system to illiminate my desktop speaker I also bought the DELL Soundbar.
The Soundbar, attaches to the lower edge of the screen and is simplicity itself producing good sound quality.
I do not play games or videos on my PC so I only need good audible signals, a leass cluttered desktop and occasional
audio sampling.

I have a DELL Inspiron 17inch Laptop and know DELL products to be well-designed and well-made.

Comparisons between the DELL U2312HM and the returned ASUS AP238Q ?

The DELL U2312hm wins by a wide margin. The DELL screen deserves the label 'ULTRASHARP' it is easier on the eyes with
higher brighteness levels than the ASUS. Like the ASUS the DELL has the flexibility of height and tilt adjustments, wide
viewing angles and a screen that swivels to the vertical position giving a longer document view but there the similarities end.

The DELL screen setup menu is perfect in my view. Press any button on lower right hand corner and and the full menu is displayed.
Navigate up or down with additional options clearly marked and accessible. All logically laid out and large enough for anyone to
navigate with ease. Why can't other manufacturers design like this?

The ASUS menu is another matter. The difference is remarkable. The ASUS menu is poor, archaic in appearance and difficult to use.

My DELL U2312HM complete with the soundbar cost me £211, from DELL with free delivery. That was marginally lower than the cost of
the ASUS which has no speakers and its non functioning HDMI made the earphone sytem unuseable.
So the DELL was the much better choice, why I ask myself, didn't make it my first and only choice? Still, even at 75 I live and learn.

I read the user reviews on this page and also professional reviews, but I rarely write them. However, such was the difference in
experience on this matter, I hope anyone facing the same decision making process may find this helps inh their decision, as other
readers views, helped me in mine.

BSB2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, but for some people, please read on., 31 Aug. 2012
William Topping (Sale, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
At the time of purchase, I paid £183. On the Dell website the very same model was £250 (after a reduction as well!)

** SOME NOTES **

-- Professional photographers --

If you're a professional photographer looking for 100% adobe RGB, then this isn't for you. After speaking to some professional photographers, neither is the dell 2410. You'd need a NEC at around £1000. Just because what you see on screen will never look like what you get on print for anything less.

I'm not a professional photographer. I do web design, so if anything a wide gamut display would cause me issues when people without those monitors looked at my designs.

-- IPS Glow --

With an e-IPS unit, you will get what's called IPS glow. This looks like backlight bleed, except it's not. You will see a slight glow on a black screen in the corners. This is inherent in all IPS units. If you want no IPS glow, you'll need a different panel type. (not TN).

My unit has this glow in the bottom right more then the bottom left. But, it's only apparent at a certain angle and on a black screen. If you don't like the idea of seeing this glow whilst sat at a 33 degree angle whilst watching a black screen, then this unit isn't for you.

HOWEVER, if this is the thing that bugs you generally, then don't buy an IPS monitor.

-- AG Coating --

This unit has an AG coating, It works very well to stop glare from lights, windows, etc. But if you look closely it gives flat colours, white mainly, a textured look. But only if you look for it. Again, if this is going to bother you, I'd suggest a unit without this AG coating.

-- I was worried about both --

In a perfect world, I wouldn't have the AG coating, nor would I have the IPS glow. However, they are not that bad, at least not as bad as I thought they would be. For me, it's not an issue. But for others, you might want to look elsewhere.

-- Good points --

The colours are great. I use RGB settings of 92,88,98 and a brightness of 25 and contrast of 75, and I get excellent results. White is really white now, and the blues and greens look amazing compared to my old LCD.

Contrast could be better at certain angles. But miles better than a TN panel. By far.

The stand is superb, and one of the reasons I purchased this unit. You simply wont find a better stand on a unit of this price.

For £180, you get a reasonable quality e-IPS panel, nothing ground shattering, that has great colours, and quite deep blacks.

Just beware of the issues I have highlighted, if you think they are going to be a problem (I did, but they weren't in the end) then look elsewhere.

If you have any questions, I will try and answer as promptly as possible.