4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin
Works well and provides the expected storage. Its on a 100MBit area of my network and gives 8-10MB/s transfer speeds so pretty good.

Published on 6 Jun 2012 by tibs

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless
I bought the 3TB version of this NAS drive and have been very disappointed with it, when it worked the drive was very slow at copying data to it, the web interface was poor, complicated and very slow.

Published 20 months ago by Chris MK

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Buffalo LS-X1.0TL-EU 1TB LinkStation Live 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)

After copying most of my video files to it so I could stream them using the inbuilt DLNA server it was mostly fine however you could not rewind or fast forward unless you changed the client type, this would reset back to default each time the unit would switch off which was a pain.

After about 2 months of ownership it asked to do a firmware update, I started of the update and it failed part way through, this slowed the drive down to a crawl when trying to copy data over.

I rebooted it 3 or 4 times and then although it was on the network I could not detect the drive and it went into Emergency Mode which means it is booting of the flash drive not the hard drive.

I rang up Buffalo support who were less then helpful and said to download the manual updater from their website and reflash it, I tried doing this and now the drive will not even boot into Emergency Mode.

I rang up Buffalo support again who advised to switch the unit of and on at least 20 times to simulate a power cut and it should go into Emergency Mode, I have tried this and it will not go into Emergency Mode, after consulting the forums I have tried one or two things but it appears as if the drive is now bricked and un-recoverable due to a failed firmware update.

I have used other network drives before and never had these kinds of problems, it is cheap but its the age old saying you pay for what you get.

I would seriously recommend spending that bit extra and looking at a different manufacturer as I have been very disappointed with this drive and lost a lot of data that was on it which is un-recoverable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Entry Level NAS, 18 Jun 2012
Brian Aird "vidman" (UK) - See all my reviews
This product works well as a simple NAS with LAN access. However, remote access and timer control are beset with problems.
There is no remote power on for this model. This restricts the timer control to save and restore power; it can be set to power down at a chosen time, but must be manually powered up again.

There is bug (firmware 1.57) that causes port 9000 used by web access to disappear after a few accesses in quick succession which causes all remote access to fail. This problem can also cause the 'registration' process with buffalonas.com to constantly fail during setup. I discovered this problem by using a port scanner on the NAS IP address. If port 9000 is absent after a port scan, apply a software reset or shutdown, followed of course by a manual power cycle.

It is an entry level product, it is clearly flawed and there are still bugs. Until Buffalo address its problems its role may be limited to LAN access only.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT do what it says on the box, 21 Dec 2012
The only good thing about this NAS is that Technical Support are easy to get hold of. But by gosh do you need them.

I have now had this for three months and am having to return it, as despite 20-30 phone calls to Tech Support taking hours of my time, they have admitted that they can't get the Web Access feature to work. The guy I spoke to at Buffalo just recommended I return it, and send them a complaint for having kept me hanging for 3 months until admitting less than a week before Christmas that they can't find a fix after all. VERY VERY BAD!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Mac friendly, 16 July 2012
Have had this for a while now, and while it did work quite well with Mac OS 10.6 it is mostly incompatible with Mac OS 10.7 Lion. You can access the NAS but transfer speeds are less than 500k per second, making it unusable in everyday situations. I wouldn't recommend any m0Mac user buy this product until Buffalo sort out the problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disks never spin down., 25 Sep 2012
I've owned this product for about a month, and like other reviewers I have had a few problems with the system becoming unresponsive (the politically-correct term for 'crashed'). The new version of the firmware (1.61) appears not to have improved things. I now understand why Buffalo supply an an on-off switch that can be daisy-chained to the power lead.

The "power management" feature appears not to manage power. The web pages are confusing. To be specific, by default, the system is ON, so one would expect the power management events to specify when the system goes Off. But they specify when the system comes ON. My confusion is this: what would be the behaviour of a single-day power management event, say set for Tuesday, that wakes at 22:00, and begins sleep at 25:00 ? Does the system commence sleep at 00:00 on Tuesday, and only wake at 22:00? Or what time does sleep start prior to me setting the wake time? And what does that imply for Wednesday's sleep time? Does the system sleep for the whole of Wednesday, or how else will the setting "begin sleep at Tuesday 25:00" be interpreted?

The disk does not spin down. This should be the main thing that power management does, but instead the power management just stops the system responding. Having the disks spin down after some (configurable) minutes of inactivity would be useful and eco-friendly, and with my usage patterns, probably good for disk life. Having them spin down at specific, configurable times would be tolerable. This NAS doesn't do it.

There is no wake-on-lan. You have to switch the whole unit off then on again if it happens to be sleeping when you want to use it. (By 'sleeping' I mean being unresponsive but with the disk still spinning.) And so you have to wait for the system to boot up after that. My usage of these disks is very intermittent, occasionally uploading photos or browsing an existing piccies, perhaps twice a week streaming some audio for an hour or two. Having the disks spin up when I request access would be ideal for me, but this NAS doesn't do it, presumably because there is no spin down.

There is no USB connection, so no backup to USB drive, and no print server. But to be fair, other models in the Buffalo LinkStation range do have these features, and this is bottom-of-the-range.

There is no automated way to back up to another system, unless it is to another Buffalo LinkStation.

Having said all that, the system appears reasonably constructed, the included disk appears to have vibration protection, and the transfer rates are acceptable. So my data is at least stored and sometimes retrievable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first but it's not very reliable, 26 Aug 2012
I bought it so that I could access the files and backup from my laptop and mobile phone.

When I first got it, I was really pleased with it. It seemed to work fine and copying files from my mobile was very quick.

However 3 months down the line, I've updated the firmware due to it showing session expired message when trying to log onto it.

I then updated the firmware again, once more due to the session expired message and it going onto the EM (emergency) mode.

I could have paid 25 more for another backup drive but I thought I'd got a bargain.

Now I'm wishing I had spent more and got another product.

Doubtful whether I will buy any more Buffalo products from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 Jun 2012

The only downpoint that removed it from a 5 star review was that the NovaStor software that comes with it instantly asks you to do a "free" upgrade. The free upgrade actually costs quite a bit of money in "handling" fee. You can refuse this which I did and use the version that comes with the software.

1.0 out of 5 stars OK until it breaks - then replaced with refurbished unit, 11 May 2013
I bought my Buffalo in November 2010 and reasonably happy with it. Shortly before the warranty period ended the drive failed. I returned it to Buffalo who sent a replacement. The replacement was a refurbished drive and during the process of copying my files onto it this replacement exhibited an error. At this point the warranty period had expired and Buffalo would do nothing further for me. Really you should expect to get around 5 years out of a drive before it might fail. Do a search of the internet for other unhappy Buffalo customers before you consider purchasing this.

3.0 out of 5 stars A basic NAS device, no more no less., 1 Oct 2012
C Taylor - See all my reviews
I've been using this for 6 months now and can't complain about it.

If you just want something to share files on your network and stream a bit of media to your DLNA devices then it is perfectly adequate.

If you try and do much more than that (like running BitTorrent, etc) then its slow CPU and lack of memory start to show.

No bad for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Tail That Wags The Dog!, 29 Nov 2012
I thought it was time to upgrade from two earlier, totally reliable, full up (100Mbps, 250 GB IDE drive) Linkstations, and I'm very pleased with the speed (and capacity) improvement this new model provides. It represents very good value for money, if you are willing to wrestle with it to get it to work.

However, the firmware is, as with previous models, execrable. Used under Windows, folder access restrictions are based on Windows usernames and passwords; however, many characters that are valid in Windows credentials are not permitted by the Linksation (eg no spaces, can't use colons), and some permitted characters are not allowed as the first letter, their use always throwing up a misleading error message about using an initial dash! So, possibly be prepared to change all your Windows credentials!

Also, what a hoot - the WebAccess interface suggests it might work better if you use IE8 and Firefox 3.5! 3.5? Latest version is 17! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buffalo LS-X1.0TL-EU 1TB LinkStation Live 1 Bay Desktop NAS
79.66
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available