4.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Burner That Keeps The Heat On
Dean Koontz's latest offering is set in luxurious appartments converted in the 1970's from The Pendleton, a palatial residence built by a tycoon in Victorian times on top of Shadow Hill. The residents are an odd mix of individuals, some interesting and likeable, some less so. Each of the many characters is introduced with a vividly painted portrayal of their current...
Published on 19 Jan 2012 by ACB (swansea)

2.0 out of 5 stars Porridge for The Eyes.
Being a reader of Koontz novels for well over 20 years now, I picked up a second-hand copy of 77SS to see what all the fuss was about. Countless reviews slated just about every aspect of the writing / story, and so I thought I'd see for myself - keeping an open mind of course.
Published 21 months ago by Boomusic

2.0 out of 5 stars Porridge for The Eyes., 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Paperback)
I sadly have to agree with what many people have already commented on the book - too many characters, too much whizzing back and forth, and quite simply - too many pages of unessessary 'dragging out' storyline text.

Where I was once impressed with Koontz delivery of describing a location in a way I could clearly see in my mind's eye; in 77SS I found location descriptions to be repeated constantly throughout the book to the point of thinking to myself - yes, I already know that - you already told me about the walls & ceiling on the last page.
I can't help but feel that Koontz simply gave himself a very limited arena with which to write about - not to mention filling 470 pages with attempting to describe 'one' event in the place (in great detail).

I can't say much better about the story I'm afraid. The idea of a building going through some type of time-shift phase has been done before - only much much better. Take Graham Masterton's 'The House That Jack Built' as an example. Much better story, simple plot and so far ahead of 77SS that you can still smell the warp engines' residue.

I would normally get through a Koontz novel in 2-3 days with the likes of Phantoms or Watchers; I even thoroughly enjoyed Breathless - with 77SS it was almost a 3-week assault course. After every pick-up and covering 20 or so pages I felt I had learned enough about grey slime and things in walls to do me; and after realising the story was going nowhere fast it would be put down again.
In the end it wasn't to reveal whatever twist or turn (which is quite poor I must add) lurked on the final pages, it was simply to get shot and be done with it.

To sum up, my only advice to anyone considering reading this book would be to have a good supply of Pro-Plus or black coffee at hand during the process. It may also help to have a notepad and pen handy to keep track of the amount of jumping around it does, and the people involved.
Perhaps what I feel most concerned with is the fact that Koontz does indeed seem to be slipping in the overall quality of his work. To put this another way - had 77SS been written by anyone else, I doubt the publishers would have even given it the light of day. Perhaps someone should tell them - it may help wake Mr Koontz up a little.

2 stars - 1 for the hope Koontz will recover; and the 2nd - well - I liked the cover.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Paperback)
As a new convert to Dean Koontz I have very recently read 'The Husband' and 'Intensity' and really enjoyed both, in fact I'd go as far as to say that Intensity is one of the best thrillers I have ever read. And that despite the fact there is hardly any dialogue. It takes an exceptional writer to be able to do that and maintain momentum. It is simply superb. So I bought 77SS with high anticipation and was sorely disappointed. I can't believe it has been written by the same author. Too many characters, a stereotypical haunted house on a hill, daft, disjointed story, repetitive storytelling and silly creatures. Just couldn't get into it and gave up half way. I speed read to the end and it didn't seem to pick up. I wouldn't care I normally only buy bargain books generally no more than 2 but I paid more for this. However, I'm prepared to give him another go as everyone is due a duff book and have started 'The Good Guy'. And so far, it's back to the Dean Koontz I like...

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitterly disappointing, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Kindle Edition)
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought someone else had written this book. At the risk of sounding crass, it was complete and utter crap. I read it through to the bitter end and felt so cheated. I have admired Dean Koontz' writing for many years, got my son hooked on his work and to have something like this even published under his name is a travesty. Do not bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing but never Indispensable, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Hardcover)
Oh for the days when Dean Koontz wrote with a ceaseless rigour and a haunting rhythm and an 'R' in between his two names. In those days a new book by the author was an event and a welcome one at that; nowadays he seems to churn them out and they can fail to enthuse and to enthral and are often flabby and flaccid.
At least this is not yet another book about Odd Thomas and there are some gripping passages of prose. This is far more than a haunted house/hotel/apartment block novel with a time travel twist added to the mix. However,unlike earlier tomes such as Watchers and Night Chills this book does not grip and it never seems to entirely engage the reader or to move into top gear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Kindle Edition)
A really disappointing novel compared to his other stories, it's so boring I'm skimming and skipping over paragraphs! Don't waste your money!

1.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to finish, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Paperback)
This book is the first book, ever, written by Dean Koontz that I didn't enjoy. The descriptions are repetitive, the story is weak and the ending seems to have been written in a hurry. Dean Koontz is my favourite author, but I guess we all have off days. I have to say this book is one of his. I found it boring from the start and it was only the fact that I am such a huge fan of his that I ploughed on till the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars a sad decline, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Paperback)
After reading the reviews for this I seriously wondered whether or not to bother, but as it is I like to judge things for myself. I have all the books Koontz has written and have really enjoyed most of them, loved some of them and found a couple mediocre.
I set about with some trepidation as I've found a lot of his more recent books to be a little disappointing.
This was unfortunately repetitive and boring, too many characters and too much detail, I started skimming quite early into the book.
There are only three books in my life that I've given up on and failed to finish, this was one of them.
True Koontz fans will disregard negative reviews and read on regardless, just try and borrow a copy.
Will I buy another by Koontz? I already have.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Chore!, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Paperback)
Like many I have every book Dean Koontz has written, which was the only reason I bought this one. His novels have grown increasingly paralysed with detailed description at the expense of storyline or plot. This is a prime example of this.
I yearn for the old Dean that had a few engaging characters and brilliant twists. 77 Shadow Street starts slow and gets slower, with more and more repetative scene setting so I found myself counting the pages until it was over.
Come on Mr Koontz, You're better than this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring. Disapointing, 22 Oct 2013
J. Rainbow (Wales, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Kindle Edition)
I have only ever read Breathless and I enjoyed it. I recently started reading this book and it wasn't too bad to start with. There were some weird goings on and for a change it's not about ghosts. But I've got half way through the book and I'm disappointed and bored.I thought the idea itself is good but nothing is happening.
The same sightings just with different characters. Halfway through the book I expect an increase in suspense until the thrilling climax, but I've read on and it's the same pace throughout the rest.
The same things are happening. They sight something and that's it, then it moves on to another character and what they see and when we go back to the other character nothing has happened to them.
I've only read half the book and I don't want to waste my time reading more. This has put me off reading any of this writers books.

The other thing that I was getting fed-up with is the constant viewpoint change. After leaving the book for a day or so (it's THAT riveting) I'd forget who was who. It gets interesting and then the viewpoint changes, I know that this is a technique to get you to read on but I did and nothing has happened! I just had no interest in the characters to want to read on. Some might not mind this but I prefer to stick with the same characters and follow them throughout the book.

So: it's slow, the same things happen, the viewpoint keeps switching and there is no tension. There is nothing to engage me and make me want to read on, except to find out what happens next. I have better books to read.

I was looking for another writer as good as James Herbert as I've read all of his books (but one) and was disappointed again. Another boring writer who has good ideas but makes me bored.
Don't waste your money. Borrow it.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing read, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: 77 Shadow Street (Kindle Edition)
Dissapointing read from an otherwise great author! I Am a big Dean koontz fan & have read nearly every book he has ever written, i always find his characters have depth & his story lines keep me intrigued. This book was different! the characters were flimsey, there were too many of them & i didnt care about what happened to them!
i felt most of the book was filled with descriptions of empty rooms, mushrooms & other squidgy unscary things. Sorry but it was boring! though i prsevered the hope the Dean Koontz of old would reignite my excitement but alas it was not to be & i was glad when i finished it. Not Dean at his best, in fact this is the worst he's ever written in my opinion...a yawn from beginning to end :-(

77 Shadow Street