5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the front cover!!
Please, get past the front cover. This book has so much more to say than the ice cream girl suggests.

Not only is it laugh-out-loud funny (there's a thing with a Toilet Duck, I'll say no more) but it deals with the really serious issue of how some men make women feel about how they look.

And how they eat.

And the hypocrisy of not-very-fit...
Published on 13 Mar. 2012 by Lizzie C

3.0 out of 5 stars Great easy read!!
This book is an easy read and you wont want to put it down as I was glued to find out what happened. You will fall in love with the main character Sophie Klein and feel every emotion that she goes through as most people know about getting their hearts broken. I was a little disappointed in the ending as I would of liked to of known more and it ended quite suddenly. There...
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by SS83

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pear Shaped, 14 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book - good storyline and very funny. Couldn't wait to catch up and find out what ahppened next. Haven't read this author before but will definitely try another one of her books. Would definitely recommend this book - some parts very funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Author wants to have her cake and eat it ..., 8 Nov. 2012
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
I nearly didn't buy this book when I downloaded the kindle sample and found that the so-called 'pear-shaped' heroine is a well proportioned size 10. But I later changed my mind as I like Stella Newman's writing style and besides - a major plus point - the kindle version only cost 1.99.

I have to confess I rather enjoyed it - particularly the foodie bits (though I would have preferred more meals in exotic restaurants and less food testings in hygenic surroundings). The hero James - unlike most romantic heroes who are not only tall and rich but kind/thoughtful slim etc. is actually quite believable. He is a bit of a pig, who knows who can have his pick of leggy models and doesn't hesitate to let our lovely heroine, Sophie, know that she doesn't measure up to his standards. Obviously any sane woman should end the relationship at this point but Sophie gives him a bit more leeway - quite a lot in fact - because she loves him, not because he's a millionaire - (though frankly outside the idealistic world of chicklit I think most of us would give millionaires a lot more leeway). James is of course pathetic - any man in his forties who turns his back on a woman he loves, whom he has fun with, because she doesn't measure up to some unattainable body image needs help - but is a Sophie - a woman in her 30s who puts up with a man who constantly puts her down, who compares herself to 20-something supermodels, who takes up smoking to help her lose weight. any better? I guess the average female is meant to see Sophie as some kind of everywoman she can relate to and root for her to find a man who deserves her - but all in all I thought she and James pretty much deserved each other.

I kind of swithered about this book - I liked SN's sophisticated writing style, liked her witty insight into the male mind - there's something somewhat schizophrenic about the message of this novel which seems to be - three cheers for the real woman who loves her food and has a real body! (as long as she never gets larger than a size 10 ...) At one point Sophie triumphantly eats an icecream sundae in front her disapproving ex, but then a few pages later she goes to a fat farm and endures a punitive regime in order to get back to a size 10? Stella Newman doesn't quite have the courage of her convictions - as an other reviewer said - why not have a genuinely pear-shaped, slightly overweight heroine not someone who thinks anything above a size 10 is unacceptable? 'Pear-shaped' might purport to hold out current size-obsessed society to ridicule - but actually it's more a mirror of that society than a satire. I think this theme is better handled in Adele Park's 'Larger than life'. However Stella Newman is clearly a very able writer - I think she should write food/travel books as in my opinion that's what's she's best at. The part where Sophie and James go to a fancy restaurant abroad is a deeply satisfying piece of writing in itself - like eating a delicious piece of cake ...

4.0 out of 5 stars So very me!, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
I laughed and cried and banged my head on the wall..... Cuddled my pillow and lost my mind..... Shed stones and gained all back with interests..... Soph....
Pear Shaped is deep, emotional, real, funny... and made me want to cook more and more and more while reading....
The title captured my eyes, the style kept them, the story kidnapped my soul...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great easy read, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Paperback)
I started reading the 'look inside' on Amazon and was hooked. I wasn't disappointed when the book arrived and was drawn in by this well-written story. The characters are wholly believable and I enjoyed the journey that Sophie goes on, even her 2 weeks of self absorbed hell. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about life, relationships, people and delicious food.

4.0 out of 5 stars I struggled to put this book down, 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Paperback)
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I did not expect it to be as engaging as it was. I found the book hard to put down. I loved the characters, and the writer does a great job at writing characterisation. The book has a few funny moments, and some of it seemed so true to my life situations with similar experiences with heartbreak and loser ex-guys who have issues and try to pin them on your imperfections. This book is a very good one for the women's literature genre. (I'm giving it 4/5 stars as I thought it started off a little slow, but it was hard to put down about half of the way through.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Paperback)
I literally could not put this book down. What I felt was great about this book was that it addresses a sensitive issue for many women in a sensible way. It was also good that the author didn't portray Sophie as actively trying to lose weight all the time, that she refused to believe she was in any way 'fat' even though Stephen felt she was. I highly recommend this book, I finished it in less than 3 days!

5.0 out of 5 stars So true to life and totally unputdownable - excellent read!, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
An amazing first novel. Fantastic characters that you can relate to so easily. Laugh out loud humour and heartbreak all rolled into one. I hope this is the first of many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wise and witty..., 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
As a general reader of 'macho-inspired' literature - Fleming, Hemingway, et al - it wouldn't normally occur to me to read what appears, at first sight, to be a typical example of chicklit, but I must admit I am more than pleasantly surprised having happily rattled through this novel.

Whilst it does deal with the sticky (excuse the pun - the subtext of the book is a love and appreciation of puddings) issue of relationships from a female-centric perspective, it does so in an intelligent and sometimes painful way. It's also pretty damn funny.

I appreciate this is a work of fiction, but it contains so many home truths about modern love and romance that it simply must have more than a slug of autobiographical influence - all of which lends it a highly believable and confident tone, and easily lifts it above shallow examples of the so-called chicklit genre.

It's a cracking debut, and I look forward to the next promised novel from Ms Newman with suitably baited breath...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual but loved it!, 14 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Paperback)
Read this on a friends recommendation whilst layed up with a footballing injury ( I am asserting my manliness at the outset. Despite a small amount of apprehension at the feminine chick lit nature of the blurb...girl meets boy, blah blah blah...I had finished Steve Jobs' autobiography and completed all of the suns crosswords so thought what the hell il give it a go and I wasnt dissapointed...ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE BOOK! read it in 2 days, couldnt put it down! Saw similarities in myself with the villain of the piece but other than that was very happy with my friends recommendation and should I ever find myself injured again after sporting activity will read any sequels or future work from the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun read but am i missing something, 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
I have this on kindle. It's a fun read and a page turner. But I seem to be missing a few paras or a chapter - there is a key incident (the outburst) which doesn't seem to be there?

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›