5.0 out of 5 stars An Istanbul Thriller!
This was a great find for all those who like a fast paced action adventure story. This story is in a similar genre as The Davinci Code only with more plausible adventure and more believable characters.

Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Rusty the Hamster

3.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed but very readable
I see that this one has really split the reviewers!
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by nixlyn

5.0 out of 5 stars An Istanbul Thriller!, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)

Sean is still traumatised from the death of his wife and his sadness continues at the news of the death of his best friend Alex, who was working on a Turkish heritage site for their academic research. Sean goes out to Istanbul to identify the body and his adventures start there when he meets up with an intriguing foreign office representative who knocks on his hotel door one morning. Adventure ensues and they chase, and are chased, around Istanbul and London.

If you like a fast paced adventure story with a mystery attached, then this is for you. Once you follow Sean to the Turkish capital it becomes a real page turner and you won't stop until you reach the end. O'Bryan makes Istanbul come to life and the information at the end about the city itself is a really nice touch. Looking forward to reading the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Istanbul Prize., 18 May 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Paperback)
This is a fast paced adventure novel full of twists and turns that almost leaves the hero hanging out to dry. Sean Ryan has been grieving for the loss of his beautiful wife and hasn't fully come to terms with it yet.His grieving process has seen him lose grip at work when suddenly he's faced with another death, that of his best friend and workmate Alek. Alek was just working in Turkey to photograph some mosaics in the Magnificent Hagia Sophia so who would want him dead?
As Sean goes to try and answer that question and to identify the body he becomes frustrated at the seeming lack of answers from anyone and decides this time he wants answers. In his attempts to find the killers he becomes embroiled in a plot that the killers don't want exposed at any cost. Sean becomes their next target and in this cleverly plotted book we meet characters who aren't always what they seem as he tries to get his answers and keep his own life. His only help is young British Diplomat Isobel Sharp but whose side is she really on as the story opens up to mass disruptions in Europe and the threat of a deadly virus being unleashed on London?
An unputdownable book that won't disappoint from a very skilled and talented writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of the ordinary, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Paperback)
I always knew that this book is going to be different. But I don't tend to set my expectations high prior to reading one, as more often than not it has only led me to dissapointments. I'm glad that this book is far from being a let down. It has gripped me from the first few pages down to the last. After the first chapter I knew immediately that this is going to be a treat; No dull build up to the story nor a dragging journey to the climax. Reading it is like being there with the characters Sean and Isabel, and sharing their journey. A very well written book, with a kind of story I don't think you would have read somewhere else before. It took a great mind to conjure such plot. I wouldn't say much about the story as I don't want to rob you of the pleasure and excitment of discovering it for yourself. But it is definitely an action-packed suspense/thriller novel, coupled with historical facts (would make you want to visit Istanbul after reading it) and I highly recommend this book. Include it in your list of Summer Reads this year!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed but very readable, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)
I see that this one has really split the reviewers!
I often find that my views can differ wildly from the majority but in this can I am as split as they are. The main thing is that I found the book very readable - this is a key issue for me as you can read read lots of books and no matter how they are paced or how good the characterisations are... they just don't have a high readability factor - this one does!
Some of the critical reviews make good points in that the author has created stands of story lines that he seems to have forgotten about as he has become more involved in the story. He rarely brings theses fractured lines to any real conclusion and the ending, insofar as the plot is concerned does seem a bit abrupt. I liked the hero and the growing relationship between him and the main lady - I felt that it was handled nicely.
However, I do think that some readers/reviewers make notes as they go through looking for areas to criticise. I am not like that - I just want to be entertained and distracted. In general this book did a reasonably good job of that and I believe that this is Mr O Bryans first book so he has plenty of time to tighten up his plot lines.
I know that there is going to be a new book involving the main protagonists so maybe some of the loose ends will be tied up then?
In any case I will buy it as I enjoyed this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading The Istanbul Puzzle by Laurence O'Bryan. It is 2am, I should be in bed sleeping, but I couldn't put it down. I found it impossible to read 'just one more chapter' as each chapter made me want to carry on reading.

This is a superb first novel by Laurence O'Bryan, it deserves to be a best seller. In my view it has the potential to be turned into a television drama or cinema film.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the two main characters and hope they will be together again for The Jerusalem Puzzle. It is such a shame that it will be 2013 before I am able to enjoy their company once again.

UPDATE
I first read this book as a kindle download, I enjoyed it so much that I have now bought the paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a good job the plot moves quickly...., 19 April 2013
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Paperback)
...because if it didn't, you'd wonder why Sean says at the end of Chapter 4 "I knew it could easily have been me who'd been murdered out there" when he doesn't yet know how Alek died (we do, the author did, Sean didn't).

If the author had done a search for "virus" and replace with "bacterium" the plot would have made more sense, I hope that he knows more about Istanbul than microbiology.

You keep turning the pages I guess because you know more-or-less what'll happen to hero and heroine, but it's nice to see it (predictably) confirmed. There's one little unexpected plot twist, but it doesn't really affect anything so...shrugs shoulders.

To conclude, rather predictable and pedestrian, but it won't detain the reader too long. My copy was delivered to my Kindle at a cost of £0.00 so at least it was value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars a cracking read! from amazon, 14 May 2012
G. Roberts - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)
I read this on my kindle and it was a real page turner. The beginning was a bit slow but once it got going I didn't want to put it down. Looking forward to the next book in 2013. I enjoyed the extra pages at the end showing locations in Instanbul, where to visit and places to eat - a real bonusThe Istanbul Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker of a thriller, 8 May 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)
I must say that I was very surprised by this book, but in a pleasant way! It was really enjoyable, and I loved all the bits about Istanbul which is one of my fav cities. It's such a shame that this author has not been given the push that some writers seem to be given. This author is far far better than such 'writers' as Steve Berry, and James Rollins IMO. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blockbuster movie in print, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Paperback)
This book reads like a film script - scene after scene rolls before the eyes. It's a pleasure to read, and every chapter hooks into the next. The story is simple: Sean Ryan goes to Istanbul to investigate the death of his friend Alek in an undergorund cavern, gets involved with Isabel, and faces increasing threats and risks. It's a plot straight out of Ian Fleming, but Sean is not James Bond - he's more of a HItchcock hero - think Cary Grant in North by North West - an ordinary man dealing with extraordinarily situations he finds himself in. There are some lovely Fleming-like descriptions (tour buses like "larvae") and the climax is nail-biting. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect fusion of fact and fiction..., 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable first piece from Mr O'Bryan and at an absolute bargain price (99p). I just finished another debut novel last week, "Before I Go To Sleep" which I thought was a little flat, the plot lacking any real depth. Ergo I was somewhat hesitant about risking reading another debut attempt but I'm glad to say Istanbul Puzzle blew any reservations I had out of the water! This book has everything, history, archaeology, artefacts, romance, crime, good guys, bad guys and a much more credible story line than other bestselling books that fit into this genre.

I've never been to Istanbul, but the passion with which the author describes every beautiful minute detail of the city during the chase, leaves you in awe. I cannot wait to visit Istanbul myself, the city is clearly seeped in some amazing history, religious battles spread over many centuries and ancient buildings that remain in existence today. It's no surprise that Mr O'Brian was inspired to write this book after a visit to the city himself. Often when you read a fictional book, it turns into somewhat of a cinematic experience, i.e. a bit of fun that seldom leaves you challenging your existing general knowledge of things either past or present. Istanbul Puzzle is much more well rounded than that and that's what makes it stand out from the crowd.

You don't need me to repeat in detail what is already in the synopsis but in a nutshell the protagonist (somewhat by accident, which makes it even more exciting) Sean Ryan, co-founder of the Institute of Applied Research in Oxford travels from his base in London to Istanbul, initially to find out the cause of his best friend and colleague Alek Zegliwski's gruesome murder by decapitation. However, almost immediately he finds himself mixed up with the British Consulate in his quest to avenge his death which simultaneously embroils him in a much wider sinister plot by fundamentalists to create a new order. The story thus cleverly flicks back between Armageddon type events in London and the goings on in Istanbul which culminates in an explosive coming together towards the end. How many Oxford professor's do you know that end up saving the world (well sort of - you need to read the book to find out for yourself how it all transpires, but it's worth it!)

A more than impressive debut, beautifully descriptive edge of the seat stuff that invoked some serious interest in me to research Turkey and its rich history further. What more could you ask for? I can't wait for the next instalment the Jerusalem puzzle where it's already been confirmed on the author's blog that Sean and Isabel will be teaming up again. No doubt more of the same, I can't wait.

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

The Istanbul Puzzle