4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise :)
Published on 15 Jun 2012 by Lily

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Heroine!!
Published 5 months ago by Joyce

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise :), 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (Avon Romance) (Kindle Edition)
'Confessions from an arranged marriage' was much more than it seemed, what with the stereotypical cover showing lots of skin and flowing tresses deceiving me into thinking this might be cliche at best. However, I was pleasantly surpirsed to see that the author had tried to inject a bit of thought provoking material into her historical romance. I'm actually surpirsed no one else has reviewed this yet.
The whole thing starts off as planned, the mess with Minnie being ruined by the lovely Marquess (so strange to read a grown woman being called by my horse's name, it did add an extra dimension of humour for me until I got to know Minerva!)and their subsequent marriage and I have to add that the actually ruining was pretty funny. Eventually we begin to see Blake take over the mantle of Ducal cmmand and all that, causing everything to kick off. The Duke's 'dark secret' becomes apparent but I don't want to say too much and spoil the story, it's also nice to see the gender differences in 1822 (when the book's set). Minnie is a bright young woman whose best prospects are to marry a politician in the hope that one day he becomes Prime Minister and she can set about persuading him to introduces the reforms she wants to see happen. God love her when she ends up shackled to Blake; horse hunting, boxing, fencing feckless marquess who really only sees politics as a dreaded necessity of his upcoming Dukedom. Poor Minerva's frustrations are written well and you can realise how restricted her world is.
There are a few cheesy bits towards the end but overall this was a good story, and I did feel like the author had done a lot of research.
There is quite a bit of sex but I didn't find it boring until near the end where you kind of wanted to just see a nice ending where they live happily ever after. I must admit the 'doggy' acting scene they come across when in Paris on their honeymoon is hilarious.
A good read, recommended to anyone who likes a good historical fiction! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 16 Dec 2013
I loved this book. A really good, developing romance with interesting political backdrop. Time was given for them to get to know each other and fall in love ie weeks rather than days as happens in so many other books like this

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Heroine!!, 31 Jan 2014
I can't say I enjoyed this book. I've only given three stars because I love the hero. I loved the hero and felt really sorry for him. No one understood him and never even tried to. They were quite happy to assume the worse of him and he believed it too. The author did a very good job of portraying dyslexia in those days when no one was even aware of such an illness. I felt the hero's pain and frustration acutely and I must say this book has given me a better understanding of dyslexia.

I didn't like the heroine at all. I found her very unsympathetic and argumentative. I thought she was too arrogant (didn't even know how to apologise) and it annoyed me so much that she always felt superior to the hero. I actually felt she didn't deserve him. He was too nice to have such an arrogant harpy as heroine. The hero who didn't care for politics made an effort to listen to her political arguments but she never made an effort to like his passion which was sports. She felt too clever to be bothered with issues like sports.

As another reviewer said, there's a lot of politics in the story and unfortunately it did make me skip quite a few pages. I've nothing against romantic novels that highlight issues that were happening at the time. In fact, I usually enjoy those as I like to feel like I've learned something new after reading such books. The issue with this book was that you felt like you were in the House of Commons while reading this and it was boring.... I didn't necessarily want the details of the debate that led to the 1832 reform act. A brief summary would've been enough. It would've been easier to enjoy if the issues had a direct effect on the lives of one of the characters (like the hero dealing with dyslexia made it easier to understand the issue). Or maybe it was the annoying heroine that put me off??

I've read other books by this author which I'd gladly recommend but I wouldn't recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions from an arranged marriage, 17 Jun 2012
I]This is the first Miranda Neville book i have read, and i really enjoyed this book. I will be reading more of her work.

1.0 out of 5 stars SPOILER ALERT, 23 Sep 2012
spoiler alert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK SO HERE YOU HAVE IT IF YOU THINK THIS IS A ROMANCE AS YOU ARE FALSELY LEAD TO BELIEVE BY BIT ON FIRST PAGE RUN A MILE THIS BOOK HAD A POLITICAL FLAVOR, AT LEAST IT WAS TRYING TOO ,BUT IT WAS SO MIND BLOWING BORING IT WAS LIKE SITTING THROUGH A SESSION IN PARLIAMENT ,THE H/H HARDLY GOT TOGETHER THROUGHOUT SHE HARPED ON AND ON AND ON AND IF WE WERE SUPPOSED TO THINK HE SUFFERED SOME HEAVY FORM OF DYSLEXIA AFTER HAVING REACHED 30 FIRST YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD HAVE MANAGED TO OVERCOME SOME DIFFICULTIES HE CAME ACROSS AS IF HE WERE MENTALLY CHALLENGED AND NEEDED HIS MOMMY/WIFE TO SURVIVE, REAL MOOD KILLER !!!!!!!!!!! PLUS THE LITTLE I KNOW ABOUT DYSLEXIA MOST PEOPLE OVERCOME DIFFICULTIES OVER THE AGE OF 18 PLUS THERE ARE BALANCE ISSUES HOW WAS HE A GREAT SPORTSMAN? READING THE LITTLE BIT IN THE BEGINNING I EXPECTED TENSION EXCITEMENT AND A LOT BACK AND FORTH, NOT SO AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!EVERY TIME THEY GOT TOGETHER ,AND THAT WAS RARE ,NO SPARKS FLEW NONE AT ALL, ACTUALLY ONE OF THE TWO DID NOT ENJOY IT OR AT MOST FOUND IT ADEQUATE, WHILE MALE FELL ASLEEP IMMEDIATELY MOST TIMES YAWN !IF THE AUTHOR WAS GOING FOR POLITICAL FLAVOR SHE MADE THEM BOTH AS BLAND AS POLITICIANS NOTHING HERE FOR PEOPLE WHO ENJOY A NICE ROMANCE!