on 24 August 2012
Ive only used this a couple of times, but so far it does what it says. Its not as light as I would have liked, but its not too bad. The saw attachment works well as does the trimmer. Changing the attachments is easy. Its much better not having a cable to trip over as well. Not sure how long the battery lasts as I havent used it for long periods. All in all, very satisfied.
on 11 July 2013
Age has finally got the better of me and I find it too hard to wave my heavy electric trimmer around my many high hedges. Although (as advertised) this product has to be charged every 45 minutes this is a minor inconvenience (and a welcome rest!) as I no longer have to climb ladders and really enjoy the lighter weight of my new trimmer. Very impressed all round.
on 30 August 2013
For several seasons, I've been using a Black & Decker GT510 500W electric hedge trimmer, which is powerful and efficient, but dragging the cable around the garden has been a terrible nuisance and potentially rather dangerous. So I was looking for a lighter, independent solution and bought an HT04. There are many good things about this tool, though it can seem under-powered depending on what you want to use it for. I've found it well adapted to trimming my 2 metre high thuya hedge. The fact that it's less powerful is almost an advantage, because you can cut with more precision. I've also found that the hedge trimmer fitment is useful for trimming fruit trees and you can even reduce high grass and weeds with a fair degree of success. I haven't used the rotor blade for cutting through branches, but the fitments are very easy to change. The fast charger works very well too and it's the kind of tool that you can just take out and use for five or ten minutes and put away again without any fuss, which is a delight. I've found the 55cm blade to be almost self-cleaning - it picks up much less residue than the blade on the B & D. One thing I've found unnecessarily tiring are the three switches and I must confess that I've bound one of the switches on the handle so that at least one hand is not continually tensing up to keep the contact going. A useful addition to the garden, but probably not a good buy if you have a history of destroying previous purchases - it feels a little delicate and requires, in my view, reasonably careful handling. Hope that helps.
on 30 November 2013
This cordless hedge trimmer is brilliant and suitable for small thin brances. I wouldn't use it on any thicker brances than a mans finger width though as I don't think it is man enough for the job. It is a brilliant hedge trimmer and we have just cut our leylandii down by 3 foot with no problems. Worth the money.
on 12 July 2013
Well designed except for the trigger/safety switch action which is awkward to hold at the same time as using the tool.
on 12 June 2014
I am generally very pleased with this particularly the fact that it extends and the head has adjustable angles. Use extended it was great but I found it awkward to balance when used closer up. I appreciate the safety reasons for having to hold a switch with each hand it is not easy but certainly prevents you cutting your hands.
It cuts very well and although I hope it does not need it the blades are very easy to change (a previous motor hedge cutter needed advanced dismantling and I eventually threw it away as we could not work out how to change the blades, with this it is one click)
The blade is shorter than some but I did not find this a disadvantage.
The battery life was good and although I do not have a large hedge about 40ft by 6ft there was plenty of battery life to cope with this even when it needed a severe cut.
The branch cutter was a pleasant surprise as it cut some quite thick 1 ½ “branches with little effort. It is important to read the instructions and use the correct edge of the saw otherwise it tends to jamb.
Mine actually arrived with a broken charger (cover broken off) a quick call to Gtech and I had a new one in a couple of days. I am not complaining about the broken charger and it is good to have such a speedy response from the seller.
on 20 August 2013
Unit was bought to provide a lighter-weight tool than my Stihl Hedge Cutter with its petrol engine to trim hedges/trees up to 300 yards from the house and to access out-of-reach sections of hedges & prune ornamental/fruit trees.

Pros - extending handle & tilting head live up to expectations
- cutter head & saw blade easily interchanged
- quiet operation = no need for ear protectors
- deals with 1st & 2nd year growth adequately & will handle box & privet well

Cons - battery operation = small motor = small cutter blades = you cannot rush this machine & still expect good results
- blades MUST be kept sharp for the same reason
- there is already minor damage to the cutter blades indicating inferior quality steel
- the two power switches are awkwardly shaped & sized. I am going to tape the master/rear switch to permanently ON to ease the strain on aged fingers & permit better control during cutting
- saw blade has very small teeth & I doubt will be much use. A pole saw or long-handled branch lopper will be more effective.

Verdict - is it worth RRP of £150 = No
- " " " sale price of £100 = Ye....es, but with distinct reservations
- " " a "must-have" tool = No
44 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2012
Bought this as my petrol trimmer is very heavy and does not have the reach without balancing on ladders. The battery is good for about 35-40 mins use on a fairly thick hedge and can cut through quite substantial twigs. Before buying I had read a newspaper review that sounded more like a PR release than objective report but thought I'd try one - so pleased I did as it really does all that is claimed for it.
on 1 August 2013
Easy to use. Powerful enough for thicker branches and stems on hedge. Battery lasted long enough to cut large hedge with tall arch over gate. Quiet operation. Weight not too heavy. So I would say - OK for a woman to manage safely.
on 13 July 2013
This is the first cordless garden tool I've bought. I was doubtful, as reviews of all cordless outdoor equipment seems to range from highly complimentary to near abusive!
I bought this because we have some high hedges and I'm getting too old to trim at the top of a wonky ladder. I have a Gtech cleaner which works very well - hence the choice of this one.
It arrived pretty quickly and didn't take long to assemble and charge the battery. After several sessions I remain very pleasantly surprised by how light and efficient the trimmer is - haven't tried the branch cutter yet. I still have to stand on a bench for our highest hedges, but that's all! the Trimmer is versatile, quiet (sounds like a sewing machine) and nicely made. It's turned a job I almost dreaded into one I don't mind doing. A charge seems to last around 40 minutes, which is great. I used the trimmer to mow down a large patch of shoulder-high nettles at the back of our garden and it did a very neat job.
Well-made, pleasing bit of equipment. Highly recommended,