4.0 out of 5 stars If You Love Books You Will Love This
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time
Mildly amusing; a mixed bag of laugh-out-loud, plain weird, not-so-funny, cringe-worthy and appalling moments. Definitely worth your time and money.
Published 10 months ago by Hakim Briki

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Love Books You Will Love This, 7 Jun 2012
Simon Savidge Reads "Simon" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The premise of `Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' is really what the title promises, a collection of snippets of conversations of, well, weird things customers say in bookshops. This collection is a mixture of what Jenn has either observed or conversations she has been part of working for `The Edinburgh Bookshop' and `Ripping Yarns Bookshop' as well as a selection of conversations other booksellers from bookshops worldwide have been privy to. It starts as it means to go on...

Customer: I read a book in the sixties. I don't remember the author, or the title. But it was green, and it made me laugh. Do you know which one I mean?

Through the collection it is not only the weird things that customers say that will have you laughing it is also the things that they actually do. People who want to leave their children in the shop while they browse other shops, let children destroy books and think nothing of it, ask for cups of tea when they aren't shopping there. They often come in clearly thinking a book seller has no real job, they can be rude, demanding and I haven't even started on some of the weird requests that they have when they do want to buy a book.

Customer: Do you have any books signed by Margaret Atwood?
Bookseller: We have many Margaret Atwood books, but I'm afraid we don't have any signed by Margaret Atwood, no.
Customer: I'm looking for a birthday present for my wife. I know she'd really love a signed copy. You couldn't fake a signature could you?

Now I have to add a slight worry/niggle/thought I had whilst I was reading. There are occasions where a customer said something and I laughed because I have pondered such things in the past too, a favourite was `Did Charles Dickens ever write anything fun?', that to me makes perfect sense. I also loathe the film tie in copies of books and so `Do you have a copy of Atonement? But not the film cover, please. Keira Knightley's neck makes me want to punch things.' rang rather familiar with me. Did that therefore mean that I was being made fun of?

Thinking like that, if only briefly, I then wondered about questions like `Do you have anything by Jane Eyre?', it sounds like an obvious fool hardy mistake to make if you are well read, yet it could be an easy mistake to make if you are someone new to books and you might just think that Jane Eyre wrote a super novel called `Charlotte Bronte' or this person could be someone daring to go into a bookshop for the first time and that is the only book you have heard of. (The Beard says I am being too picky, he read the book too over my shoulder because I was laughing so much, though he did think it was perhaps a little churlish to mock someone who didn't know in what year a classic book was published.) It made me question if the book, myself and the author were possibly being a little bit smug? I ruled myself out of this because I had asked myself that question; I have since ruled the book and the author out as I have checked Jen's blog and her passion for books and reading is so clear. There are some bookshop owners I have come across though who do think everyone who comes through their door is a little bit thick or beneath them, see `Mrs Cream Cake Scoffer of Southport' for more on that.

Back to `Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' though. Overall I really, really enjoyed it and have already thought of about ten or twelve people that I will have to get copies for as they love books and bookshops as much as me. It has made me wonder if I would still love to have a bookshop one day though, but when I read things like this I couldn't think of anything better...

Customer: Doesn't it bother you, being surrounded by books all day? I think I'd be paranoid they were all going to jump off the shelves and kill me.
Bookseller: ...

Oh and just so you know I haven't quoted some of the funniest, and they are very funny, conversations from the book as I wanted to merely whet your appetite. So if you love books, and I am pretty sure that you do, then you need to get a copy of this for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time, 2 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
This book is absolutely hilarious!!! The stories that the people in this book have are really funny! Couldn't help laughing out loud whilst reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
You will appreciate this book if you deal with customers yourself - out of the mouths of customers, it's hilarious!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book lovers laugh, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
A lighthearted look at things people say. If you are a book lover like me you will appreciate the bizarre comments people make. I particularly liked "do you have anything by Jane Eyre?" It is a short book read in a couple hours but it did make me chuckle out loud. Very embarrassing as I was on the train to London .

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
I laughed out loud reading this book,however, there are also sad bits in this book that I couldn't even imagine that it might take place in a bookstore. I reckon that this is the reality of every bookstore that we ( the customers) don't realise that these kind of customers' behaviours towards booksellers could take place until this book focused on them and put a finger on. I really recommend this book for all book lovers, you will definitely enjoy it from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 28 May 2014
This book went down a storm... Xmas present for someone who is passionate about independent bookstores and she loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny anecdotes, 3 Oct 2014
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
Very funny book containing brief anecdotes from booksellers about weird requests to which they have been subject. Most are gathered from a particular bookshop in London and another one in Edinburgh, with a short selection from others elsewhere in the country/world. They range from the vacant ("I read this book decades ago, don't know the title or author but it had a green cover, do you know which one I mean?"; or "the title was "something something", can you search for it on your computer?") to the chillingly naive ("I enjoyed the Diary of Ann Frank, why did she never write a sequel?") They also include bizarre requests to buy or borrow items such as ice cubes or condoms, or queries on how to cook a chicken. My dad used to work in public libraries and he used to get a lot of similar strange and vague queries as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise, good humour, tad short, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
I laughed aloud many times but finished the book in fifteen minutes. Would have appreciated more anecdotes, fewer gaps to the layout and greater insight towards a bookseller's business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Kindle Edition)
What an absolutely hilarious book!

My favourite parts where from Ripping Yarns - mostly the replies to the customers! People who work in bookshops definitely have a great sense of humour!

This little book is a sure fire hit for any reading fan. Although I use the Kindle now, I spent many years of my youth in book shops and I have heard some really hilarious questions so it's great to see a pile of them put together in a really great collection.

This is a quick read that I can see myself dipping into again and again!

I was also glad to find out that the illustrations showed perfectly on the Kindle!