5.0 out of 5 stars very user friendly tomtom smasher
Published on 2 Aug. 2012 by neilyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Lisa C
Published on 13 July 2012 by lisaC

5.0 out of 5 stars very user friendly tomtom smasher, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2445 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (Electronics)
I had originally bought a tom tom which was incredibly difficult to set up in fact it refused so I then swapped for this Garmin gizmo 1/2 an hour later it was all set up and ready to go I have used it in the UK and Spain and I honestly don't know how I would have coped in Europe without it I had one niggle with it not knowing a Spanish postcode but it was great the rest of the time

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 2445 Sat Nat, 1 July 2012
Bought this for my dad as he was always borrowing my husband's older version. It is extremely easy to use, bigger screen and arrows indicating which lane to use on motorways is a great addition and he loves it. Recently used on travel in Spain which not only the driver but all the passengers were very grateful for - goodbye to stressed out dad. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 20 July 2012
Having survived this long without a satnav finally thought with an impending European drive to get one. After lots of research decided firstly that we did not need lifetime maps, looking on my bookshelf it became apparent that I did not have any current road maps all were at least 10 years old so why pay a premium for lifetime maps so I didn't and secondly we did need a device that enabled routes to be saved and it also needed to find satelite connection quick and reliably. This product measures up very well price wise to what else is available with the added bonus of being Garmin's second generation mapping software which has other capabilities that would cost a lot more in a different unit, like multiple routes.
As we had a long journey through France, Belgium and into Germany and had done it once before we knew the route we wanted to take so using Garmin's Basecamp software mapped it out first on the PC and then easily transferred it to the satnav. This is a feature I particularly like, the ability to route plan and transfer. Another fab tool is that when the device is connected to your PC you can send Google points of interest direct to it from the Google map.
In order to comply with new French requirements I connected the device and after completing a full backup removed the sample speed camera points of interest files.
Using it, signal found fast and strong on every use, screen clear and easy to view and the voice was OK. Plenty options to setup the device to what you prefer. Can navigate by many different means including just saying a town name if nothing further is known. I pre-created a series of locations, the apartment, a shop, the event address etc. which made navigating whilst away very fast, could quickly say from where I was to go to a preset address. The only glitch was operator error, when selecting a previously created route to follow and the destination point is chosen best make sure it is the final destination point, otherwise the device thinks you only want to go so far and then starts telling you to turn round (correctly).
You can download a full instruction manual from the Garmin website.
[...]
As to the ability of route generation compared to other satnavs I have not comparison.
For what we needed it worked very well with out fault and pleased with the purchase and price paid.
In addition we used it with this vent mount, another good buy and have also fitted a matt screen protector.
Easy Fit Vehicle Air Vent Mount Base for Garmin Nuvi GPS

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 20 Nov. 2012
I bought my Garmin about 9 months ago after my previous Garmin 'died'

Also I have a Tom Tom which I use when I go to Australia.

I would give the Garmin 8/10 and the Tom Tom 9/10

The mapping from Garmin is I believe a tad better than the Tom Tom. However it is far easier to customise the Tom Tom - be it voices, favourites (auto download from companies for their stores etc)

At similar prices I would buy the comparable Tom Tom but if like for like the Garmin is a good deal cheaper then it would not disappoint

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 2445, 15 Jun. 2012
Compares well with earlier Nuvi models with straight forward setup and updating, although the update is not exactly state of the art. Some fairly recent local changes have not been included, although, in fairness none are on major roads. This model disagrees with my last model as to to quickest route from home to the main road network but soon resigns itself to my desires. The much advertised pictures of road junctions have not yet materialised but I have not yet tried a long journey on main roads.
The box no longer includes a plastic disc to fix to the dashboard so that the bracket has to be fixed to the windscreen with the rubber sucker - not the best place on a hot summer day but still, apparently, the usual practice. Nevertheless, all in all, a satisfactory purchase as expected from Amazon.,

3.0 out of 5 stars Lisa C, 13 July 2012
A bit disappointed to be honest. I added the free update when I received it, but it has proved to be out of date already. The map view does not seem accurate to the actual road layout sometimes. The voice whilst clear has some extremely strange and irritating ways of pronouncing some of the road/place names (e.g. St. Albans). Not easy to select alternative routes and the time calculation is way out when it takes you through big cities/towns. Other than that, it gets you there, but I always feel I need a map and a bit of knowledge of the area as well as relying on the device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor route selection, 5 Jun. 2012
I bought the Garmin this year to replace an ancient sat nav from a rival manufacturer.
I had no complaints about its route selection.

If left to its own devices the Garmin will favour suburbs and inner city roads, in spite of the fact that I have chosen the Faster Time option.

The routes plotted by the Garmin nearly always deliver longer journey times than can be obtained by using its trip planner. Using the trip planner requires great care when selecting waypoints on roads with dual carriageways.

The Garmin will often choose a more tortuous route than is necessary which results in increased journey time.

The destination selection is a wrestling match in all but the most simple of cases, a request for an address as a target destination, for instance, will elicit cities in the USA as well as those in the UK.I have a version with UK and western European maps !

All of the routes that I currently travel using the Garmin are those programmed by myself using the trip planner and not by using its algorithms for start to destination selections. Exhaustive comparisons have shown that my routes are quicker over a range of start times throughout the day. For the most part the routes that I have forced on the Garmin are chosen because they are simpler, quicker and involve fewer manoeuvres. They can be longer but never by more than 10%. I bought a sat nav because I do not like planning routes, so resent having to do so now.

I want a sat-nav that plots efficient routes with the minimum of intervention, this is not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 16 Oct. 2012
Muddy Ali (Sunny Surrey) - See all my reviews
This is my first sat nav I have owned or used. I do alot of driving, on my own, on unfimilar routes and now I can really appreciate how useful a sat nav is!

Spent ages wading through many reviews on Amazon and finally decided on this Garmin model, mainly because someone had mentioned it was given a Which Best Buy recently.

I took it out the box, plugged it into the cigarette lighter, entered the postcode and drove of the driveway! Its very easy to use and understand, so much so, i didnt even read the instructions.

It guided me perfectly to my 3 collection points I had to make that day over about 500 miles.

A good buy, works for me. One point to add (its not really a negative) but dont start to update the maps at 10pm on a Sunday night because it takes 4 hours to download them...

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok but I'm surprised it was a Which best buy, 25 Aug. 2012
Bought this to replace a 5 year old Navman that was getting unreliable. I work as an HGV driver and use it for work every day. Works fine with postcodes. If you need to put a town or village and street in it can be very frustrating. Sometimes it wants the village and others the nearest town. If you put the wrong one in won't find the address. My previous sat nav was much more forgiving in this respect. Doesn't have the option to go to the centre of a town or street. Old one would also go to a junction in a street and remembered places you had stopped as destinations to navigate to. The screen dims drastically without power to the point where it is unusable. Others have commented on the rather strange pronunciation - I find it quite amusing! Didn't come with a mains cable but the one from old sat nav fits.
On the positive side? It finds where it is much quicker than my old one - almost instantly. The windscreen mount is more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 13 Jun. 2012
My first sat nav and so far so good. However on Thames Pageant Sunday it managed to take me a weird route from South of the Thames round Hyde Park, North of Oxford Street and down Whitehall before suggesting I cross the Thames again to get to my destination which was South of the river. Still we have seen areas of the country we did not expect to see and still arrive at our chosen destination.