‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense explained!, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Creative Mischief (Kindle Edition)
David Trott's book is absolute simplicity - and I mean that as a huge compliment. it arrived on my iPad in bite-size sentences, easy to read, easy to digest, and exactly what I needed the night before visiting an ad agency with no experience whatsoever with a view to doing some work. A lot of what he says is common sense - *slap forehead and shout 'of course'!* - but when it's a subject we know little about, it helps if even the easiest of strategies is exposed as just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Mischief, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
A great read with some tremendous anecdotes that really help to drill home some great lessons from a wonderful career in the ad game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, 30 Dec 2012
Creative Mischief: 1

I got it for Christmas.
Literally all you'd need to know to work in advertising or ANY creative industry. Actually, screw that, this book will simply help your entire life. I couldn't put it down. After reading it, I feel my life has new meaning. This book made me go out there and do things. If you're reading this review, you need this book.
It's also written strikingly and simply, I hope there's more from Mr Trott.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 12 Dec 2012
M. Straaw "Boy07Delta" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Mischief (Kindle Edition)
BEST BOOK I'VE READ BY MILES, TO BE HONEST ITS HOW HONEST THE BOOK READS OR MAYBE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BUT GIVE THIS A READ EREADER.. GREAT BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Wisdom, 28 Oct 2012
By Rich Pels:
As someone who's been writing ads for years, and teaching advertising almost as long, I found Dave Trott's book refreshing and extremely smart. An art director asked me what I was reading. I showed him a chapter("Being Right vs Being Interesting") and he said, "I'm going to use some of that the next meeting I'm in." So it's useful too. What Dr. Spock is to children, Dave Trott is to clients. I imagine most of them were tractable in his hands. Also, Trott's view of Ogilvy vs Bernbach is something I agree with (old school vs new ideas, though a friend at Ogilvy recommended it). The only thing wrong with the book is that now I want to meet Trott, and he's a continent away. By the way, the book costs as much as $230 in the US, which makes the U.K. price a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, inspiring and cheeky, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
This book is excellent, inspiring and cheeky. The author tells a number of funny stories about his career in advertising. He shares the lessons he's learned in a way that causes you to change your mind about the things you believe.

Recommended to anyone who is open to changing their mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, 26 Mar 2012
J. Carl (Gothenburg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
The last few weeks I've gotten a new daily habit. I check up on Dave Trotts two blogs to see if he has written something new. If not, I go back to his blog archive and find some old posts (essays) I haven't read.
Dave Trott has a marvellous way to take small stories from everyday life/historic events/his experience in the adbusiness or private life - and tie them together to great insights about life, creativity and successful advertising.
He has a funny way of hitting the "enter" key after every complete sentence. Somehow it just adds to the feel that these words have been chosen with utmost care, and that the sentence simply is cut in rock.
The short stories in this book (very much like his great blogs) are perfect for a few minutes reading, like when riding the bus to work. I bet I'll have this book as my travel companion soon again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you start reading the first page, you won't stop until you've reached the last. Only to then start again., 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
I rarely watch a movie more than once because if I know already how it ends, I just get distracted. This is even more true for books. "Creative Mischief" is a book I am reading over and over again: Dave is a great writer, witty and clear, and in every chapter he plants a seed that grows in you, some sort of concept you really want to think about. But then you're too curious to hear what story he's going to tell you next and you have to move on to the next chapter... Formidabile

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide to advertising or a guide to life?, 8 April 2013
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
Dave Trott's book, Creative Mischief, is not just a book on advertising it's a guide to life. In fact, it's much, much more of a guide to life than it is a guide to advertising.

Sure, you'll find the odd nugget of wisdom in there that might help you approach your next brief differently or look at writing your headline another way, but mainly, what you'll find in its pages are humorous observations about life.

The book is written in short snappy sentences (as you'd expect given its author) and relays a lifetime of funny stories from the world of advertising and Dave Trott's career.

It makes for a very quick, enjoyable read and will stand its readers in good stead if they take its philosophies to heart, and try and live by them a little more each day.

If you're looking for a book that will teach you how to write ads or craft copy, this is not it. Look elsewhere. If you're looking for a book to make you grin and teach you how to approach life, then this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look what some of the key people in advertising think of this book, 2 April 2010
David Greene "LOAF" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Mischief: 1 (Paperback)
"Dave's thinking is uncompromisingly clear. It created the toughest environment I ever worked in and the most I ever learned."
Carl Johnson (founder of Anomaly)

"Dave Trott is not just a great copywriter, he is a great teacher. If you can't learn something useful from this bundle of wisdoms, go to the bottom of the class." Robin Wight (Founder, Engine)

"It is so rare to come across a book like this that is genuinely full of wisdom, rather than just cleverness: wisdom about an attitude to living, from a life richly led. And populated with enough great characters to make the modern novelist weep. I loved it - Creative Mischief is profoundly entertaining."
Adam Morgan (Author "Eating the Big Fish")

"If only Dave had written this book thirty years ago it would have made my career a lot easier."
Sir John Hegarty (Founder BBH)

For anyone who was around in the advertising world of the 80's and 90's, this book brings back some wonderful memories, and reminds us just how brilliant some of the thinking and the doing was in that era. However more than that, and regardless of age, this book is full of wonderful and brilliant insights. At its very least it is hugely entertaining; at its best it is a great manifesto for living and working in this great industry of ours.
Alan Brydon (Head of Trading - MPG)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›