5.0 out of 5 stars A properly good read
I'm quite a sucker for cheap kindle books, my kindle is choked with half read kindle books that have not entertained half as much as the blurb suggested.
This is not one of those books.
Published 20 months ago by C. Moir

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Strangely addictive stuff. Not the best writing & I nearly stopped reading the first one. But now I want see what happens!
Published 4 months ago by _

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A properly good read, 1 Nov 2012
C. Moir "Qis" (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sorcerer's Ascension: Book 1 of The Sorcerer's Path (Kindle Edition)
This is not one of those books.
I'm not a huge fantasy novel reader, and am wary of trilogies of books in general, as they feel like they are just marking time between significant moments. This book is not guilty of that sin; although when significant moments do arise you are very aware of them. Another review says the book starts off slow; I feel this is harsh, as far to many of these type of books pay mere lip-service to this part of the story.
There are a few typos in there, but not many, maybe 3 or 4 that I remember. which is pretty good for a kindle book, especially at this price!
Definitely a gem!

I'm on the second book now, and so far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 11 Dec 2013
I found this book difficult to put down, This is the first of Brock Deskins books that I have read and it most certainly not be the last. If you're a fantasy fan, into Wizards, Sorcerers and the like I can thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best i have read, 22 Jun 2014
The only reason i have given 4 is the editing i am hooked on the story line so much so i am on book 4. It is fast paced but not to much that you can;t follow the story line. All the characters have their own story to tell. I will be sorry to finish the last book as i will miss everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and disappointment, 10 April 2014
A great first book. Good plot and characters. Very disappointed, however, that it is not a trilogy but just goes on and on and on. By the time I buy all parts I may as well just buy a full priced novel but a well known author who uses true English spelling and grammar. So you up and coming authors let us have more quality and less quantity in your fantasy novels. Rant over. I will probably read the first three and then stop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 14 Mar 2014
I very nearly stopped reading this early on. However, you really should stick with it. The characters really grow on you, and before you know it you genuinely care what happens to them!

The book is well written, with enough detail without going overboard.

I read it for free on Amazon prime, but will definitely be buying the subsequent volumes of this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, which I enjoyed., 25 Feb 2014
Mr (Plymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found the story very enticing, but I found the preview at the end totally misplaced. I would have expected the preview to entice me too purhase the next episode in the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed, 21 Feb 2014
Mr. Steven Watson "Steven5watson" (Workington, England) - See all my reviews
Great read although a bit of a slow start, but plenty more books in the series. Although could have done with another edit before publishing. Lots of silly mistakes and missing words.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 19 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!!!! A real gem, 12 Jan 2014
Just read all 8 books and really enjoyed the journey

As the series progresses the story and characters get better and better

This will definitely be a series I reread at another time

5.0 out of 5 stars A good start into a captivating series, 5 Jan 2014
The author does a great job in describing locations and characters in a level of detail sufficient to allow the reader's fantasy to draw complete scenes without smothering him/her with trivialities. While being packed with a series of rather grim story elements the characters are likeable and particularly the occasional D&D references moved me to smile.

Besides some additional editing to get rid of occasional grammar mistakes, the book could probably benefit from time stamps for individual chapters and a map. The story often skips hours, days, weeks and even months without clear indication. Only in retrospect, it becomes apparent that the characters don't constantly fall/jump from one action sequence to another, but undergo personal development over extended periods of time (filled with mundane/repetitive tasks). The book introduces several locations and frequently connects them by characters being chased, sneaking, or simply travelling from one to another. A map would have fostered better understanding of the relations between those places and getting an idea on what it would take in terms of time/effort to get around.

After finishing the 2nd book of the series I'm still fascinated by the world and it's characters. I'd recommend the book to readers with interest in sword&wand fantasy worlds that focus on character development rather than political intrigues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›