5.0 out of 5 stars Great for recording HD gameplay
What a great product! Used it for a couple of days now and not a bad word to say about it. Converted a couple of friends to this from their Hauppauge HD PVRs too.

Very easy to set-up using a hard drive or usb stick. I tested using a 16gb memory stick and it formatted the stick for me and set-up storage settings.

For those looking for a size guide,...
Published on 29 Feb 2012 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars Video Editors take care
This is purely a review of capturing Sky Box recordings onto the AverMedia Gamer. It does this very well, not needing a PC attached, but some of us want to edit the capture and use it with other recordings. so:

- the AM Gamer needs an analogue input (Component), so if the Sky Box has only a HDMI output, a HDMI to Component Converter is needed (Neet have a good...
Published 17 months ago by Peter Frost

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, quite unreliable., 24 Oct 2012
Mr. Oliver Tatlow "Ol" (Bradfrod, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AVerMedia Game Capture HD (C281)-Record Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii HD Gameplay in Real-time up to 1080P (Electronics)
Usually work with a memory stick although I often have to switch the machine on and off a few times before it will recognise it. Won't recognise my USB hard drive at all. Not very reliable, will sometimes just stop recording in the middle of making a video for no apparent reason. Records to AVI format meaning the files are absolutely huge and is somewhat limiting with a 8BG memory stick. Also for some reason none of the recorded files will load into Sony Vegas so I can't edit any of them. Pretty poor really. For me the best solution for game capture is a Hauppauge HDPVR used with Sony Vegas HD for editing.

1.0 out of 5 stars problems, 25 Aug 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
got it to work on an av channel not the hd channel that i game on :/ then it said no component input
nearly given up on it tbh

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok , Dissapointing though, 4 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Got it for christmas, was ok but NO Memory pen worked apart from my brothers, Quality is ok, not great and cant even compare to the haupaugge HDPVR, Good size and easy to use.
Quality was the let down and the fact no usb pen would really work. Sent it back for a refund and gonna get the haupaugge.
If you are beginner, get it, if you have a decent sub base, go with the haupaugge.
Quality at youtube.com / TehFLuiDz

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive mistake & Hassle - DO NOT BUY, 28 Jan 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my boyfriend who plays COD on PS3 so he could record gameplay. The recording/playback cuts out intermittently - we only found this out after we had had to buy another cable so it would connect to the TV and after we re-formatted a memory stick (as it has to be in a certain format in order to be able to record gameplay to it). This is not mentioned anywhere on the Avermedia website - nor do they have a UK customer service number.

Regardless of these issues, the box is totally useless anyway as it won't even record and just randomly stops working.

Am in the process of sending back to Amazon for a refund - Can't even contact Avermedia to try to solve the problem (assuming the item isn't just faulty) as no UK phone number and their email support is pretty tragic.

This is one of the few capture cards that records to external hard drive/USB so it's tempting if you don't have a PC next to your console but you are WAY better off buying a different product. It doesn't have an internal HDD and no one (not even Avermedia) sell one specific to this product so it's not easy to even get it working properly.

With the cutting out during recording/playback (faulty product), only records to one format of HDD, comes without the right cables (extra expense) and the dubious quality of recording if you CAN get it working, I would suggest you DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Amazon have been amazing so far with the returns/customer service policy but it's still not nice wondering if I will actually be able to get my 130 back. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

1.0 out of 5 stars UNFORTUNATE, 1 Nov 2013
MY SON LOVED IT TILL IT BROKE AFTER ABOUT 5/6 WEEKS HAVE BOUGHT HIM ANOTHER ONE AS WHILE IT WORKED IT WAS GREAT

1.0 out of 5 stars not got it, 30 Nov 2013
really wonted this so i can record my game play and it did not turn up and im not happy

1.0 out of 5 stars warning!, 4 May 2013
Bought this for my son for his birthday. Says it's plug and play but the connections to the tv are composite (red, white, yellow) and it needs component (red, blue, green) you can't find converters for love or money! I'm disgusted that this is not made clearer on the box. Avermedia haven't replied to my calls for support info either. No one in retail seems to know how to help either. Lead to one very disappointed 15 year old and ruined his birthday!

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed., 25 Jun 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The AverMedia is a decent game capture device but it has been a constant source of annoyance... the picture is always fuzzy, the sound always cuts out, you cant connect the leads to both the ps3 and xbox as claimed as then the sound from the xbox stops... and also the product description does not tell you that you also need a internal HD for the AverMedia unit or a USB/External HD device to transfer the game capture files to your pc.
If I could I would return this item and get the much better Hauppage device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the HD PVR, 14 Feb 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this recently but I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be, I think because I used to own a Hauppauge HD PVR. The C281 is easy to use and the quality is good but when I have finished gaming I still have to transfer the files from my USB drive back to my PC. With my old HD PVR it recorded straight to my PC, ready for my uploads so I saved time. I'll use this now I have bought it but I wish I'd updated my old HD PVR to the HD PVR Gaming box instead.

ARRAY(0xa02514e0)