5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies - had to buy another!
Having been captivated by Strangers and Pilgrims, I naturally felt inclined to read the next offering from Vivienne Tuffnell, Away with the Fairies. Different, but no less captivating, the tale of Isabel's own struggle with her art is explored in Tuffnell's careful and conscientious writing: imaginative, thought-provoking, and occasionally challenging - a real pleasure to...
Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by HTK

3.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies
This book was quite interesting, however I felt that at times it was rather laboured. The ending was unexpected though , so overall it was quite enjoyable.
Published 21 months ago by Dancer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in fairies?, 12 Oct. 2011
C. Duncan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Having greatly enjoyed Strangers and Pilgrims, I couldn't wait to read Vivienne Tuffnell's new book, especially after reading the intriguing synopsis. I wasn't disappointed and once again the author has created some wonderful and utterly believable characters. Without wishing to give anything away, this book made me think about what's important in life and the need to appreciate what we have before it's gone. It was also fantastically, deliciously creepy - you'll know the bit I mean when you read it! Because you should read it. At this price it would be rude not to.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWAY WITH THE FAIRIES, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I have read by Vivienne Tuffnell and I must admit a couple of times I got distracted and found it hard to start reading again (I had to read a couple of pages to get back into the story).

I am glad I persevered because I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters, it made a really nice change to read a
different type of book (a totally different style of writing).

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read something different. I have purchased more of this author's books on the strength of this one.
KARRIE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
When you understand the subject matter you will fall in love with this book. I am looking forward to the next book she writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting storyline, 7 Feb. 2013
R (Fleet, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I found this book a pleasant read, some parts could have been cut a bit shorter, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of warmth and wisdom, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Paperback)
I rarely review books on Amazon unless I feel very strongly about them, and I have to say I loved this book from start to finish. This page already tells you the basic storyline, but the strength lies with the warmth of the characters, the moving and inspiring plot and satisfying ending all coming together with the darker and more disturbing edge to offer a genuinely absorbing and intelligent page turner. It deals (quite unobtrusively)) with some difficult subjects, most notably death, our ability (or not) to grieve properly after the losing people we love and the ways in which we come to terms with the loss. But through the story of artist Isobel and her lovely family there is never a moment when it is maudlin. It is simply moving and like all good stories it makes you think and stays with you after you reach the end and close the book.

I am also in love with the little house Isobel buys to pursue her art and find a space for herself in her busy life. I want one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully sweet read!, 21 Jan. 2012
Gordon P. Bonnet (Trumansburg NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! A sweet, well-drawn tale of the supernatural goings-on in artist Isobel Trelawny's recently purchased studio/workshop, it is an engaging read on a number of levels -- the interactions between Isobel and her minister husband are loving and tender and funny, the minor characters (especially Isobel's best friend Chloe, and her neighbor, the obnoxious Maggie Broadbent) are carefully crafted, and the main story line - a woman who has run headlong into the realm of the unknown - is captivating. Isobel's fight with reconciling the circumstances of her parents' deaths adds another, and darker, layer to the story, and puts the whole subtext that "there are things we cannot, and may never, understand" into sharp focus.

The only other thing that I'd like to add is that I was disappointed when it ended! I am looking forward to reading many other books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not literary, 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This was OK - readable with an unusual theme, but the way the characters were presented was only just above the chicklit level. Maggie and her family were sterotypes and too glibly got rid of. There was too much explanation at the end after she met the old man. The magic disappeared and the ending was saccharine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›